Author Topic: car rental chargebacks  (Read 6793 times)

Offline NOOCH

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
car rental chargebacks
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:51:43 AM »
I recently rented a car with enterprise,
they over charged me by 17 dollars, and i asked them to adjust it before leaving the office, they said they cant. so i asked to speak to the manager and they sad it would be at least 15 minutes, i had a flight to catch so they told me they would tell the manager my issue, and that the manager would call me the following day.
i threatened that if i wasnt called within a week i would call amex and refute the charge.
after a couple if weeks with no call, i called amex and explained what had happened, they promptly credited my account the full amount for the rental. a few months later enterprise sent e a letter in the mail, stating i owe them the full amount and if i dont pay them "further action will be taken"
does anyone know if:
A) is there any way this can show up on my credit report, (they never got my social, but they do have my license number)?
B) will they block me from renting from them again if i refuse to pay more than i feel i am liable for?

Offline mclovin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: car rental chargebacks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:32:25 AM »
I recently rented a car with enterprise,
they over charged me by 17 dollars, and i asked them to adjust it before leaving the office, they said they cant. so i asked to speak to the manager and they sad it would be at least 15 minutes, i had a flight to catch so they told me they would tell the manager my issue, and that the manager would call me the following day.
i threatened that if i wasnt called within a week i would call amex and refute the charge.
after a couple if weeks with no call, i called amex and explained what had happened, they promptly credited my account the full amount for the rental. a few months later enterprise sent e a letter in the mail, stating i owe them the full amount and if i dont pay them "further action will be taken"
does anyone know if:
A) is there any way this can show up on my credit report, (they never got my social, but they do have my license number)?
B) will they block me from renting from them again if i refuse to pay more than i feel i am liable for?
i think it is a very likely possibility that they will ban you. why didnt you just call enterprise direct to have it adjusted?

Offline Lev

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis Pr.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 02:50:02 AM »
i think it is a very likely possibility that they will ban you. why didnt you just call enterprise direct to have it adjusted?
They can refuse you in the future and yes, if they submit it for collection it can show up on your credit report even if you didn't provide your SS number. You should straighten it out with them.

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 03:20:35 AM »
I'm sure if you call them it'll probably be easy to settle for the full amount minus the $17.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:15:58 AM »
my father had some incident - some sort of accident and never paid - with hertz many years ago (about 19) and they put him on the black list and till a few months ago he wasnt able to rent. so i told him to try it out and see what happens, so he reserved a car online and had a backup with enterprise, and when he came to counter they told him that he is not allowed to rent but they dont know why!
in any case he called the "black list number" and they said they see his name there but it doesnt say why and since it was so long ago, they dropped the case after a few years. so they took him off and were back to normal now.

Offline bochur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz presidents circle, National executive elite, Avis preferred. Accor platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
i once had a parking ticket while renting with enterprise
they sent me a letter that i have to pay the ticket ($95) plus an administration fee, or i may be jeopardizing my future rental privileges.
i never paid and i was not blacklisted
with hertz they bill your cc automatically when you get a parking ticket so i cancelled that card when i got a parking ticket, i was blacklisted.
to get back on all i had to do was pay the ticket and i could rent immediately after

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: car rental chargebacks
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 05:19:15 PM »
i once had a parking ticket while renting with enterprise
they sent me a letter that i have to pay the ticket ($95) plus an administration fee, or i may be jeopardizing my future rental privileges.
i never paid and i was not blacklisted
with hertz they bill your cc automatically when you get a parking ticket so i cancelled that card when i got a parking ticket, i was blacklisted.
to get back on all i had to do was pay the ticket and i could rent immediately after

Why didn't you pay?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline bochur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz presidents circle, National executive elite, Avis preferred. Accor platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 07:05:41 PM »
why should i?

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 04:51:03 AM »
didn't you park illegaly?????

besides for that I don't think its worth getting blacklisted AND canceling a credit card over a parking ticket.
in israel if you get a ticket and they dont charge you for it then maybe park illegaly, but in america why is it worth it??

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »
Why didn't you pay?
why should i?

didn't you park illegaly?????
Just because the city employs flleet of overzealous ticket givers to rake cash into their coffers doesn't mean we should sit like tatelach and pay them. If there's ever a way to get out of paying them, do it!

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »
hence the rest of my previous post!!!

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »

hence the rest of my previous post!!!

The words "beside for that" imply that you're making 2 separate points.

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 01:22:54 PM »
OK
even if you thought it was legal and got a small parking ticket i don't think it would be worth getting blacklisted and cancelling a credit card to get out of it......

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »

even if you thought it was legal and got a small parking ticket i don't think it would be worth getting blacklisted
Agree, that's a no brainer.

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:31:14 PM »
The canceling CC part is not as complicated as the old one can be called in as lost IME.
If You See Something, Say Something!!