Author Topic: Which credit card should I get that will get me the most airline miles?  (Read 4158 times)

Offline chanale89

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
So our story is we have the US airways cc at the moment but are looking to cancel it and start again as we just used most of our miles on overseas airline tickets. We have family overseas and travel there at least once a year plus travel within the US also at least once a yr so are looking for one that will give us a good start up bonus so we can start to build up miles again. We are not big cc spenders we mainly use it for airline tickets and big purchases and always pay it off straight away. We are considering paying our mortgage on it (just shy of $1000) to get more miles quicker but don't want to live off it on a day to day basis. Which one would be best for us? We would also like to get away with out paying a fee I see allot are first year free can we cancel it and reapply after the year? I have seen lots of offers but am confused by the many offers and want to go for the best option so help is much appreciated!

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
So our story is we have the US airways cc at the moment but are looking to cancel it and start again as we just used most of our miles on overseas airline tickets. We have family overseas and travel there at least once a year plus travel within the US also at least once a yr so are looking for one that will give us a good start up bonus so we can start to build up miles again. We are not big cc spenders we mainly use it for airline tickets and big purchases and always pay it off straight away. We are considering paying our mortgage on it (just shy of $1000) to get more miles quicker but don't want to live off it on a day to day basis. Which one would be best for us? We would also like to get away with out paying a fee I see allot are first year free can we cancel it and reapply after the year? I have seen lots of offers but am confused by the many offers and want to go for the best option so help is much appreciated!

If you only want to open 1 card I'd go for the Sapphire.
But it's worth it to open two and apply for the United card today as well. (There is no min spend on that card to receive the bonus as of now)

And I'd do one for you and your husband/family members etc.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline chanale89

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

If you only want to open 1 card I'd go for the Sapphire.
But it's worth it to open two and apply for the United card today as well. (There is no min spend on that card to receive the bonus as of now)

And I'd do one for you and your husband/family members etc.

Thanks for the advice. I see that it is first year free can you cancel it after the year and reapply so you don't get charged the fee? Also is a hard card to get as were still building up our credit rating I don't think I will be able to even get the United one as I have only been in the US for 2.5 years and had my green card for less then that. Hopefully my husband would be able to get it them both though.

Also the united one you are talking about is the explorer one not the new club one which doesn't seem worth if for us at this point especially as we seemed to have missed the date to get the first year fee waived.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
Thanks for the advice. I see that it is first year free can you cancel it after the year and reapply so you don't get charged the fee? Also is a hard card to get as were still building up our credit rating I don't think I will be able to even get the United one as I have only been in the US for 2.5 years and had my green card for less then that. Hopefully my husband would be able to get it them both though.

Also the united one you are talking about is the explorer one not the new club one which doesn't seem worth if for us at this point especially as we seemed to have missed the date to get the first year fee waived.

I'm talking about the United Explorer, yes. And the United one should be easier then the Sapphire I believe. One for you and your husband.

Offline chanale89

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
I'm talking about the United Explorer, yes. And the United one should be easier then the Sapphire I believe. One for you and your husband.

Ok great will try applying to both those cards. I just looked up the explorer card and it says to get 5,000 more miles you should add another authorized user so if we both get one can we add each other to get the extra 5,000? and could all the points be merged into one account eventually?
Also what about the question I asked about closing the sapphire card and reapplying so as not to be charged the fee?
Thanks so much for all your help!

Offline sky121

• View Profile
Ok great will try applying to both those cards. I just looked up the explorer card and it says to get 5,000 more miles you should add another authorized user so if we both get one can we add each other to get the extra 5,000? and could all the points be merged into one account eventually?
Also what about the question I asked about closing the sapphire card and reapplying so as not to be charged the fee?
Thanks so much for all your help!

You can always close a card and reapply. Though with some like United you will need to apply with a new FFN (frequent flyer number) and have your accounts merged later.

And yes you can add anyone as an authorized user. Try to apply with the 65,000 + $50 credit link. If not,  have it matched later on via SM.

Offline chanale89

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
You can always close a card and reapply. Though with some like United you will need to apply with a new FFN (frequent flyer number) and have your accounts merged later.

And yes you can add anyone as an authorized user. Try to apply with the 65,000 + $50 credit link. If not,  have it matched later on via SM.

Do you have that link? I have been reading up about this card on the forum and have seen ppl asked them to mathc it to another card or something and got more miles???? How does this work?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
Do you have that link? I have been reading up about this card on the forum and have seen ppl asked them to mathc it to another card or something and got more miles???? How does this work?

You send them a message that there was/is a better offer and since you just applied can they match you to it.  YMMV, but they should match you no problem.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
When signed into your United account which offer do you see?

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Round of applause to sky121 for being so patient
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline chanale89

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
When signed into your United account which offer do you see?

Ok yes I see that link when i sign in thanks! Now it gets tricky my mileage account is in my maiden name as my passport is still in my maiden name but my cc would have to be in my married name so that wouldn't really work as per linking accounts right?

And Yes thanks so much for all the help and patience its much appreciated I didn't grow up with credit cards so this is all new to me and this looks like its the way were going to get to my family overseas as our family grows and flight prices don't go down!  :)

Offline sky121

• View Profile
Ok yes I see that link when i sign in thanks! Now it gets tricky my mileage account is in my maiden name as my passport is still in my maiden name but my cc would have to be in my married name so that wouldn't really work as per linking accounts right?

And Yes thanks so much for all the help and patience its much appreciated I didn't grow up with credit cards so this is all new to me and this looks like its the way were going to get to my family overseas as our family grows and flight prices don't go down!  :)

Your ID in the US has your married name?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
Lol :)

Offline sky121

• View Profile

You can always make a new United account with your married name.  And use your maiden name account for now. One day have the maiden name account changed and then merge both accounts.

Offline chanale89

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
You can always make a new United account with your married name.  And use your maiden name account for now. One day have the maiden name account changed and then merge both accounts.

Yes my American ID is in my married name. Right but then I wont be able to use those miles for overseas trips until my passport gets changed.
Also in my husbands case can he open a sapphire and a united with the same mileage number?

Offline chanale89

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Ohhh I just remembered that you can book for other ppl using your miles so that would work even if its in my maiden name.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Sapphire don't need an FFN.
Wow, never knew I can fly domestic with a state ID. I always use passport. Is it true?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Wow, never knew I can fly domestic with a state ID. I always use passport. Is it true?
Of course. Passport is only necessary for entering and leaving the country
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline sky121

• View Profile

There are plenty of people who fly each day who don't even have a passport.

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I never fly with my passport