Author Topic: infant cost on qantas - using aa points - HELP  (Read 8150 times)

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: infant cost on qantas - using aa points - HELP
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 12:26:02 AM »
@SideIncomer, thanks for the recommendation.
@WhyAich, thanks for the offer to look into it.

So I originally had a reservation with AA but managed get convince the rate desk that the YQ shouldn't apply. That reservation expired Friday night though and I was not ready to book yet. I had made a new reservation on Friday but hadn't added the infant yet. So now I call to add the infant and they won't get rid of the YQ because of the newish rules (ITA prices it out including the YQ for the infant as well). So after 7 or so HUCA's I finally got someone at the Executive Platinum desk to "reinstate" my existing expired reservation and she got the rate desk to copy the original fare without the YQ :D (she was only able to reinstate the reservation because the seats were still available). And now I have another 5 days before I have to book :P

All's well that ends well, but it dosen't seem like promising future for infant tickets on QF from AA.

P.S. I am not 100% sure, but the Exec Plat agent seemed to say that the way the original agent got around the YQ was to add the infant as an award ticket and override the mileage to 0 and set the taxes to the amount of the infant fare minus the YQ... Which would make sense because online my reservation shows 3*75,000 instead of 2 like it did before, but when I call in they see it as 2*75,000 and an infant with taxes only... Dunno if this could possibly help someone in the future.

All I can say, you're extremely lucky. I never had such an experience, although pricing out infants on AA many many times...
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »
So the reservation has been ticketed and the agent confirmed the Infant charge of $166.40.

The e-ticket receipt only listed myself, but AA.com shows the reservation with both passengers and says Ticketed. Does an infant in lap get its own e-ticket number? Anything for me to worry about?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:50 PM »
Does an infant in lap get its own e-ticket number?
Yes, make sure you get one.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »
Yes, make sure you get one.
Ah, so should I give it 24 hours for it to arrive or should I call AA sooner?
Got the e-ticket email last night and they only charged me the 10%! :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:50:26 AM by BAHayman »

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 10:43:19 PM »
Recently had this issue.
The AA infant pricing was significantly more expensive than even QF rip-off infant pricing for same itin.
I tried to book infant directly with QF, but they said that infant itin attached to AA mileage needs to be done through AA.
However, I didn't try HUCA with QF.
HUCA works in these cases.
I had a bit of spare time today for HUCA, QF rep said that she could make an infant booking for me despite it being AA awards.
And she put a booking on hold for me on the spot.
She quoted $500 range, as opposed to AA's $900 range.
Still pricey for economy infant, but I wonder where AA gets its crazy pricing from.
At this point, it is all theoretical anyways, because the infant already has an AA award ticket.
So I originally had a reservation with AA but managed get convince the rate desk that the YQ shouldn't apply .... So now I call to add the infant and they won't get rid of the YQ because of the newish rules (ITA prices it out including the YQ for the infant as well).
Do you have more info on this?
The QF rep I spoke to asked why I don't do the infant with AA, as they are not supposed to charge YQ, whereas QF does.
I am wondering, what is the real deal?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 10:49:29 PM »
The QF rep I spoke to asked why I don't do the infant with AA, as they are not supposed to charge YQ, whereas QF does.

He didn't pay the YQ in the end.

So the reservation has been ticketed and the agent confirmed the Infant charge of $166.40.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 10:50:33 PM »
Do you have more info in this.
The QF rep I spoke to asked why I don't know it with AA, as they are not supposed to charge YQ, whereas QF does.
I am wondering, what is the real deal?
From what I was told by countless reps and supervisors: On 2/7/2012 Qantas changed the fare rules to include YQ for all tickets, even award redemption. No idea why adults aren't being charged the YQ but a supervisor at AA said that from what he sees in his system it should affect both adults and infants. Not complaining though :)

I would just keep on calling AA over and over, adding the infant on and when they come back and say $900 just play dumb and say wait isn't it supposed to be 10% and when they say yes then ask them if the fare is really $9000... After a couple of tries I got a rep who called back to the rate desk and got a rep who said yea that dosen't seem right and manually overrode the price (which I have found out they can do very easily). If they refuse to give you the price without the YQ then just say nevermind, please remove the infant and I will book him/her a separate ticket later, and then HUCA.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 11:00:51 PM »
From what I was told by countless reps and supervisors: On 2/7/2012 Qantas changed the fare rules to include YQ for all tickets, even award redemption. No idea why adults aren't being charged the YQ but a supervisor at AA said that from what he sees in his system it should affect both adults and infants. Not complaining though :)

I would just keep on calling AA over and over, adding the infant on and when they come back and say $900 just play dumb and say wait isn't it supposed to be 10% and when they say yes then ask them if the fare is really $9000... After a couple of tries I got a rep who called back to the rate desk and got a rep who said yea that dosen't seem right and manually overrode the price (which I have found out they can do very easily). If they refuse to give you the price without the YQ then just say nevermind, please remove the infant and I will book him/her a separate ticket later, and then HUCA.
Do you think there is any point in doing this even though I already have a full award ticket for infant?
In other words, I would be asking them to book a paid infant ticket AND cancel the award ticket without penalty, because it is their fault that they quoted a ridiculous price in the first place, blah blah blah blah blah.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »
Do you think there is any point in doing this even though I already have a full award ticket for infant?
In other words, I would be asking them to book a paid infant ticket AND cancel the award ticket without penalty, because it is their fault that they quoted a ridiculous price in the first place, blah blah blah blah blah.
Ouch... I doubt you would be able to do that. Although you can get them to split the reservation, then once split you can try to add the infant. When you end up getting it added, then you can determine whether you would rather pay the full award and have a seat for the infant, or pay the infant fare plus the $150 to reinstatement the miles from the full infant award ticket.

Unless of course you are an EXP then you can get the mileage reinstated for free...

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 11:19:24 PM »
Infant tickets on adult laps are fully refundable, so no risk adding first the infant, and then trying to cancel.

Just keep in mind that every single time you are calling in AA regarding an infant it will take at least an hour, so don't waste your time unless you're making more than the minimum pay  :).

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 12:34:23 AM »
Infant tickets on adult laps are fully refundable, so no risk adding first the infant, and then trying to cancel.

Just keep in mind that every single time you are calling in AA regarding an infant it will take at least an hour, so don't waste your time unless you're making more than the minimum pay  :).
Yup, I was referring to the full award for the infant that has already been added.

Or call while driving to/from work? :)

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 01:15:32 AM »
Or call while driving to/from work? :)
Oh... those "extra" hours are long gone. I always have companies / airlines wait-listed to call them at my extra time driving / walking etc... and spending them on infant tickets is far down the list... :)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 02:31:03 PM »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 05:36:05 PM »
Cant find the master thread, so posting here

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/09/award-travel-with-an-infant-or-lap-child/
So much good info and yet so much bad info all in one :P