Author Topic: Getting Bumped  (Read 19559 times)

Offline yeshivaman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Getting Bumped
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:29:35 AM »
Ok, I need to know EVERYTHING there is to know about getting bumped. For example, best strategy to get bumped, & what you get in return...
i wish i knew what i was doing...

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Bumped
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:59:05 AM »
1. make sure to book your flight in a time when many people like to travel, as then there will be a chance of overbookings.
2. before you book your flight look at the seats and see what your chances are of overbookings.
3.when you get to the gate ask the flight agent if there's a chance of overbookings. many times they'll say that they'll write you down on a list, and see if there are more people than seats.
4. some times, they'll be announcing on the speakers that they are looking for people to give up their seats.
5. they'll offer you compensation. usually around $400 in airline vouchers (they offered this to me although my flight was only a one way), if it means, that the next avail. flight is the next day, they should pay for your hotel etc. (sometimes you need to demand a little bit...) if it gets closer to the flight time, they might raise the compensation (it might be worth waiting, but you never know)
6. if noone volunteers, and there's still more people than seats, they will deny boarding to those who don't fit on the plane, with compensation. however, many airlines write in their terms that you can get CASH compensation, so you need to demand it.
7. don't even try to get bumped with JetBlue. they never over sell their flights, and they offer $1000 cash if you are denied boarding, good luck.
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline yeshivaman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »
anyone has experience getting bumped with co to tlv?

Offline yeshivaman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »
any difference in compensation on an international flight?

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »
my brother got bumped twice flying from AU to LA and got $800 bucks each time.

Offline MOSES

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:28:29 AM »
The deal is like this. When you want to get bumped it will never happen.
When you least expect it they will be offering 1000 dollars and a business class seat on the next flight.
That is my experience but YMMV

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:05:09 AM »
I've been bumped a dozen times or so, lots of fun!  I find United to bump people a lot, it's much more rare on Continental.

International bumps are worth much more than domestic bumps.

For domestic bumps United usually gives a free US48/Canada ticket although they may be persuaded to give travel credits.
If there's space they may be willing to put you in First on the next flight.  You can also negotiate for airport food credit.  I once took an overnight bump with free hotel accommodation (they were also willing to taxi me to a friend's house to stay overnight).  I had them confirm me on a full flight the next day which I got bumped off of as well and played the game for a few flights before getting booked on a Continental flight.

Usually when you get rebooked on another flight it's in full Y class so you get often get more miles or upgraded.

Continental will offer $200-$400 for domestic flights and a first class seat if available.

These are good tools to see how full a flight is:
http://flyaow.com/classamex.htm
http://seatcounter.com/
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »
Was once Traveling with a stop over, the first flight was an hour flight like 100 miles, got bumped off that one, the airline payed for the cab to the next airport, we made it in time for our original flight, Got free vouchers to anywhere in the 48 states, and didnt lose anytime,
this was with United!

Another was from JFK to LAX had a stopover in Washington (was a miles ticket) in JFK they called us out by name to bump us, gave us free vouchers, put us on a direct flight from JFK to lax in business class, and best of all, bec we didnt have to stop, we made it to LAX ahead of schedule, to bad we had to wait for hour bags to make it through the stop over, like a half hour.

Spirit Airlines from ORD to to FLL offered to bump me, put me on American to MIA, but my car was by FLL and Spirit flights are good to have free ones but not worth the hassle to me!

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 10:14:28 PM »
anyone has experience getting bumped with co to tlv?

When CO 1st started up they didnt know the mkt and almost every flight needed peopel to vol. But sadly that was a few yrs ago. today hardly ever does CO need anyone to be a vol

Out of EWR they paid $700 (voucher) out of TLV it was $500 (voucher)

I wouldnt expect any bumps even around the Hagim time, yes CO really has it down to know how many they can oversell it by and still not have to bump anyone

even rarer is a free Upgrade to BF, hardly ever will that occur as theyw ould 1st move a person on an expensive fare up from coach before giving it as part of the Bump

Offline yeshivaman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 10:51:51 PM »
is it possible to get "bumped" up to a higher class (to a full fare coach) from a lower fare on the same flight? seatcounter shows all but 2 of the "cheap seats being full, but others open...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:32:41 PM »
is it possible to get "bumped" up to a higher class (to a full fare coach) from a lower fare on the same flight? seatcounter shows all but 2 of the "cheap seats being full, but others open...
Why would they do that?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 12:53:58 AM »
Why would they do that?

well it is very possible and happens all the time, at least with UA

UA has 2 coach sections E- & E+ anyone w/o status when purchasing a tkt gets E-. If UA oversells the flight so all the E- seats are taken they then will put those w/o seats into E+ w/o charge.

then if you have status and theres more people for coach then there are E- & E+ seats UA bumps its Elites from E+ into Biz and if need be those in Biz into 1st

Then if there are still more people then seats on the plane its time for VDB then IDB

But as far as I know its only UA that does this.

BTW this has nothing to do with the fare basis except most likely those on the more expensive fares will be the ones the Carrier Upgrades. So if you dont have top or middle status with the Carrier and arent on a Full fare tkt I wouldnt hold my breathe about being UPed, its not something you can ask UA for the computer does it automatically
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:01:54 AM by ChaimB »

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 12:58:33 AM »

That happened to me once on United, was in coach, and they had 2 Frst class seats open, but coach was sold out, and bec i had Elite status they called me by name and put me and my wife in Frst class, We didnt get any free tickets or anything, so i dont think it would it would be considered getting bumped, more like a free upgrade!

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 04:42:45 AM »
That happened to me once on United, was in coach, and they had 2 Frst class seats open, but coach was sold out, and bec i had Elite status they called me by name and put me and my wife in Frst class, We didnt get any free tickets or anything, so i dont think it would it would be considered getting bumped, more like a free upgrade!
Thats not his question. His question is within the same class ie discount coach to full fare coach. and to that the answer would be why the heck would they(unless i misunderstood the question which is always a possibility! ;D)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »
Thats not his question. His question is within the same class ie discount coach to full fare coach. and to that the answer would be why the heck would they(unless i misunderstood the question which is always a possibility! ;D)
That's what I understood as well.

When you get moved to first class due to coach being oversold it's called an operational upgrade, or Op-Up.
It's very rare and there's most definitely no compensation involved.  ;D

It happened to my wife last year on Continental when we were going to Vegas last year and I had already been upgraded and she got an op-up (due to preemptive prodding on my part).

Offline yeshivaman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 02:31:04 PM »
can someone explain what this line means in term of seat availability (on co)   J9 C7 D6 Z6 Y9 B9 M9 H9 K0 Q9 U0 V9 G0 W9 E0 S0 T0 N0 L0

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 04:41:57 PM »
can someone explain what this line means in term of seat availability (on co)   J9 C7 D6 Z6 Y9 B9 M9 H9 K0 Q9 U0 V9 G0 W9 E0 S0 T0 N0 L0

At least 9 seats are left for sale in both businessfirst and in coach.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 06:19:33 AM »
At least 9 seats are left for sale in both businessfirst and in coach.

If this is close to departure, it translates into:"not a very bumpy situation"

Offline Ed

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Kingfisher Silver
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
are you still able to get bumped if you check in online? or is it only those who are checking in at the airport offered to be bumped? specifically asking about Elal

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 01:18:10 AM »
Just had a really cool bump story. I had a one way with stopover from lga to lax, I got to lga and was told that my flight was delayed and I wouldn't be able to catch my connection. I was changed to a direct from jfk, and I got them to pay for a taxi. I got on the list to get bumped, and sure enough I was bumped. Here:s what I got:
A hotel for the night
$600 voucher
Confirmed first class for tomorrow morning
$30 food voucher
Taxi to/from hotel

I've been bumped in the past, but none were as lucrative as this one.