Author Topic: Getting Bumped  (Read 19567 times)

Offline mmermss

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Bumped
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »
Or even if the flight is completely full
Aha..and theres no way to tell if the flight is over booked before going to airport..right?
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 05:45:59 PM »
Aha..and theres no way to tell if the flight is over booked before going to airport..right?

Incorrect. They'll often tell you on the phone. And if  you want to be bumped show up early at the gate and put your name on the list of "volunteers."
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »
Incorrect. They'll often tell you on the phone. And if  you want to be bumped show up early at the gate and put your name on the list of "volunteers."
So I call the airline before the flight? How much before?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 05:48:34 PM »
I'm gonna turn it back around on you.

How much time before do YOU think?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
I'm gonna turn it back around on you.

How much time before do YOU think?
Hmm...I'd say within a few hours before flight?  :-\   ::)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »
Hmm...I'd say within a few hours before flight?  :-\   ::)

Hmmm, I'd say -- this answering a question with a question thing works.

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »
Hmmm, I'd say -- this answering a question with a question thing works.
;D :P
It's late here...I know its not an excuse but still

Offline mendoul

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Flying blue Gold Petroleum, BMI Gold, Accord hotel platinium, Avis gold, Aegean Gold
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »
I've been bumped many times ,
a few years ago they bumped me at the boarding gate on airfrance (800€)
and at the last minute before closing the gate they let me on the flight because someone missed is flight then!

i got my flight + 800€ voucher
mendy

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 06:24:55 PM »
I've been bumped many times ,
a few years ago they bumped me at the boarding gate on airfrance (800€)
and at the last minute before closing the gate they let me on the flight because someone missed is flight then!

i got my flight + 800€ voucher
That was a few years ago..I wanted to know about any recent experiences.

You can post your experience in the Airline Bump Compensation Master Thread

Offline mendoul

• View Profile
  • Programs: Flying blue Gold Petroleum, BMI Gold, Accord hotel platinium, Avis gold, Aegean Gold
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »
i was bumped two weeks ago from Lagos/Nigeria to Paris on Airfrance they gave me 350€
mendy

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2013, 06:41:50 PM »
i was bumped two weeks ago from Lagos/Nigeria to Paris on Airfrance they gave me 350€
Voluntarily?

Offline mendoul

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2013, 06:53:28 PM »
no they called for volunteers
mendy

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »
no they called for volunteers
Ever volunteered?

Offline mendoul

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2013, 07:01:11 PM »
ye a few times
i allways (when i have time) ask
mendy

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
ye a few times
i allways (when i have time) ask
Before you arrive at airport or once your at airport?

Offline mendoul

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2013, 07:07:08 PM »
at the check-in and at the boarding
at the check-in: Will register you in a list
at the boarding: an appearance

mendy

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2013, 07:11:45 PM »
at the check-in and at the boarding
at the check-in: Will register you in a list
at the boarding: an appearance
Thanks

Offline caveman924

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2013, 11:19:27 PM »
I think the best situation for me was a flight from MIA to YYZ a few years ago after Pesach. There are three flights going in each direction. I was on the first flight in the AM on that route. I got to the gate late and they already had asked and gotten all the volunteers they needed. I asked the gate agent if I could get bumped she said no they already had people. So I waited until the last person boarded and asked again, are you sure? She asked me why, I said to stay in the warmer weather. She smiled and said sorry...but because I was polite and didn't pester her she said she was going to give me a first class seat instead for free. While getting settled in my first class seat and just before they closed the doors, the gate agent came onto the plane and asked me if I still wanted to stay in MIA, I said yes and she pulled me off the plane. She gave me 1st class on the next flight and $300 voucher. I asked if the next flight was oversold, she said yes and I asked if she could put me on the volunteer list and she did. I waited at airport until next flight and waited patiently while the they asked for volunteers, I gave my name at the end but the guy said they had enough people so i asked to check the list to see if I was on it. He said yes, so I waited. They boarded the flight I got bumped and got another $300 but only economy on the last flight as 1st was sold out. By the third flight the gate agent by the second flight recognized me and told me to stand by the counter because there was a late check in for first class. He told me that 45 min before a flight he can take the 1st class seat away from a paying customer and give it to whoever he wanted. This was 1hr30min before the flight, 10 minutes later he said "screw it the passenger is probably not coming" and gave me the first class ticket anyways.

What I learned about this experience is that a) you are more likely to be bumped if you are travelling alone. The airline doesn't like to break up itineraries if they don't have to (meaning if 5 people are booked together and one volunteers to be bumped and a single traveller volunteers and they only need one seat, they will take the single traveller.) b) If you ask nice and don't pester them then you can usually get bumped over someone else. Gate agents get stressed when they have this situation so they prefer passengers who are calm and polite and will give them better treatment in return. Also, because this situation has occurred more than once, and almost always on American, be the last to board and just before you board the plane ask them if they are sure they don't need any volunteers, for some bizarre reason this seems to always work for me. And remember being polite and friendly and having a smile, saying your pleases and thank yous goes a long way with gate agents who tend to see the worst in people who are travelling, they always like to see a friendly face.

Offline MosheP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »
A friend and I were on the AF 4:30 PM flight from CDG to JFK. We get to the airport early and inquired if they were bumping. They said since its an overbooked flight they will put us on a list to volunteer  to be bumped. We would get €300, and a  meal voucher, and would find out 30 minuets before takeoff if we would still be on the flight or if we would be put on the next one. We went back to the gate at 4:00 and they said there were a few no-shows and we are still on the flight, we also got the emergency exit seats upstairs. I am 6' 3", I could have laid down on the floor between my seat and the seat in front of me.

I used the voucher to go to Israel for Sukkos flying JFK-CDG-BUD and a Malev ticket BUD-TLV. I made sure to be on the 4:30 flight on the return CDG-JFK and was bumped again, were offered the same compensation and still got on the 4:30 flight.

Lesson learned; if flying CDG-JFK book the 4:30 flight.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »
I think the best situation for me was a flight from MIA to YYZ a few years ago after Pesach. There are three flights going in each direction. I was on the first flight in the AM on that route. I got to the gate late and they already had asked and gotten all the volunteers they needed. I asked the gate agent if I could get bumped she said no they already had people. So I waited until the last person boarded and asked again, are you sure? She asked me why, I said to stay in the warmer weather. She smiled and said sorry...but because I was polite and didn't pester her she said she was going to give me a first class seat instead for free. While getting settled in my first class seat and just before they closed the doors, the gate agent came onto the plane and asked me if I still wanted to stay in MIA, I said yes and she pulled me off the plane. She gave me 1st class on the next flight and $300 voucher. I asked if the next flight was oversold, she said yes and I asked if she could put me on the volunteer list and she did. I waited at airport until next flight and waited patiently while the they asked for volunteers, I gave my name at the end but the guy said they had enough people so i asked to check the list to see if I was on it. He said yes, so I waited. They boarded the flight I got bumped and got another $300 but only economy on the last flight as 1st was sold out. By the third flight the gate agent by the second flight recognized me and told me to stand by the counter because there was a late check in for first class. He told me that 45 min before a flight he can take the 1st class seat away from a paying customer and give it to whoever he wanted. This was 1hr30min before the flight, 10 minutes later he said "screw it the passenger is probably not coming" and gave me the first class ticket anyways.

What I learned about this experience is that a) you are more likely to be bumped if you are travelling alone. The airline doesn't like to break up itineraries if they don't have to (meaning if 5 people are booked together and one volunteers to be bumped and a single traveller volunteers and they only need one seat, they will take the single traveller.) b) If you ask nice and don't pester them then you can usually get bumped over someone else. Gate agents get stressed when they have this situation so they prefer passengers who are calm and polite and will give them better treatment in return. Also, because this situation has occurred more than once, and almost always on American, be the last to board and just before you board the plane ask them if they are sure they don't need any volunteers, for some bizarre reason this seems to always work for me. And remember being polite and friendly and having a smile, saying your pleases and thank yous goes a long way with gate agents who tend to see the worst in people who are travelling, they always like to see a friendly face.
Great story!
Is there a website/forum/thread with a list of the most bumped routes or routes with high chances of getting bumped?

Somehow, I never seem to be in luck with this?
(the only time I was, was on an Erev R"H, no thanks!)
A friend and I were on the AF 4:30 PM flight from CDG to JFK. We get to the airport early and inquired if they were bumping. They said since its an overbooked flight they will put us on a list to volunteer  to be bumped. We would get €300, and a  meal voucher, and would find out 30 minuets before takeoff if we would still be on the flight or if we would be put on the next one. We went back to the gate at 4:00 and they said there were a few no-shows and we are still on the flight, we also got the emergency exit seats upstairs. I am 6' 3", I could have laid down on the floor between my seat and the seat in front of me.

I used the voucher to go to Israel for Sukkos flying JFK-CDG-BUD and a Malev ticket BUD-TLV. I made sure to be on the 4:30 flight on the return CDG-JFK and was bumped again, were offered the same compensation and still got on the 4:30 flight.

Lesson learned; if flying CDG-JFK book the 4:30 flight.
You mean they gave you compensation even though you were never bumped? :o