Author Topic: Spouse under 25; Best opion for car rental  (Read 13446 times)

Offline yossi4k

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
Re: Spouse under 25; Best opion for car rental
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 05:41:31 PM »
you can tell them that to add the second driver to the contract just in case anything happens because you would wanna claim credit card insurance and you wanna play safe..
Thats always the best. But you have to get the right agent. Most of the time they will say we cant as she is under 25 etc

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 05:43:07 PM »
With Hertz USAA the AD needs to be 25, it seems there's no way around that.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline yossi4k

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
I copy pasted from USAA's website for hertz: "No Additional Driver Fees for spouses and USAA family members. Waived for 18 to 24 year olds.
Typically $25 per day." Why do you say theres no way around it?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »
I copy pasted from USAA's website for hertz: "No Additional Driver Fees for spouses and USAA family members. Waived for 18 to 24 year olds.
Could be my rule only applies when the primary is underage? Paging cbs.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Spouse under 25; Best opion for car rental
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
Ok guys. Back on topic. I know about the corporate account deal. They'll tell you oh if he/she is part of the corporation they can drive without being added to the contract. The question is 1. What happens in a case of an accident. Would the car rental and/or the credit card insurance actually go ahead and attempt to verify that said additional driver is indeed an employee of the corporation? And if yes 2. Is a spouse any better off?

Was discussed here
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=4830.msg197575#msg197575

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 04:59:28 AM »
Could be my rule only applies when the primary is underage? Paging cbs.
IME - i have added and been added on as an AD under 25 many times in many diff locations without the slightest problem. sometimes they said that they cant add it on the rental in the Computer, so they gave me a slip notifying as a second driver.
i know others that have done the same thing.

Recently i had an issue with being added as an AD - my father rented a car from LGA and i tried getting on and they said i had to be 25 and its illegal to give me a slip of paper saying that im an AD. - even though ive rented many times with hertz.

then i looked at the T&C's with usaa - and i thought the same thing as yossi4k but then i realized that its unclear what they write and it seems it can be explained (on their part) as only if your the Primary driver - i dont know what the difference to them is, but wtvr.

so what i did was, i just drove the car without being in the rental, relying on the fact that we (my father and I) are both USAA members and officialy any usaa member can drive the car. but if C"V something happens than u may have some issues since you're not really covered by USAA insurance. and my father flew out earlier and i returned the car in JFK a day later - and its no problem cuz they dont ask for ID when return. its just the guy in the parking lot - scanning it.
(even though i dont think they care if someone else drives, its just the Primary Driver responsibility if something happens)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 05:34:03 AM »
its just the Primary Driver responsibility if something happens
What makes you think that???
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 05:41:46 AM »
What makes you think that???

If there was an accident, and insurance didn't cover, they would go straight to the cc on file (which belongs to the renter/primary driver), and charge the amount of the damage. 

It doesn't make a difference to them who was driving,  they will just bill the cc on file.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 06:32:17 AM »
If there was an accident, and insurance didn't cover, they would go straight to the cc on file (which belongs to the renter/primary driver), and charge the amount of the damage. 

It doesn't make a difference to them who was driving,  they will just bill the cc on file.
+1 than for explaining

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »

I believe if insurance didn't cover the full amount then the renter can sue you the driver to pay for damages.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline bochur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz presidents circle, National executive elite, Avis preferred. Accor platinum
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »
you can tell them that to add the second driver to the contract just in case anything happens because you would wanna claim credit card insurance and you wanna play safe..
then they will likely charge you an additional driver fee

Offline bochur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz presidents circle, National executive elite, Avis preferred. Accor platinum
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »
ive put on ad with hertz usaa under 25 multiple times in diff locations

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 12:48:07 PM »
under 25 you can be an additional driver. its under 21 thats the problem. also im pretty sure just because you are both USAA doesnt mean you can drive. u have to be added to the contract but it will be free

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »
under 25 you can be an additional driver. its under 21 thats the problem. also im pretty sure just because you are both USAA doesnt mean you can drive. u have to be added to the contract but it will be free
thats not what the manager at LGA told me, he said that under 25 u cant be added.

and the way any corp. code works is that anyone in that business can drive that car. so say you work at walmart and you put in the walmart code - all the employees in walmart can drive the car, and if something happens than hertz will turn to walmart and they will ask if hes an employee and they will have to confirm . so too with usaa - but the reason i would want to be added as an AD is because of insurance reasons.

Offline bochur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
renting with usaa i had a few ppl at diff hertz locations say diff things
1) we cant put 2 drivers on the contract under 25
2) we can put the 2nd driver on but he will have to pay the underage fee, not the 2nd driver fee
3) we will waive the underage fee but we will have to charge the 2nd driver fee
4) we will put him on the contract for free.

Either way the hertz t&c for usaa corp is that any usaa member can drive w.o. putting himself on the contract

Offline yossi4k

• View Profile
Re: Re: Spouse under 25; Best opion for car rental
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 12:02:10 AM »
renting with usaa i had a few ppl at diff hertz locations say diff things
1) we cant put 2 drivers on the contract under 25
2) we can put the 2nd driver on but he will have to pay the underage fee, not the 2nd driver fee
3) we will waive the underage fee but we will have to charge the 2nd driver fee
4) we will put him on the contract for free.

Either way the hertz t&c for usaa corp is that any usaa member can drive w.o. putting himself on the contract
  How about Avis? I'm assuming 1-4 would be applicable

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »
in jfk they wouldnt let me add another driver under 21. he tried but said the system doesnt let it go through. so we switched the primary driver and added another driver who was under 25. in a hle in florida i had the same problem. the system wouldnt let another driver be added who was under 21. guy said dont worry about it.

employees of that business can drive if they are on company business. so two problems. hard to say you are an employee of usaa and that you are on company business

Offline yossi4k

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 01:32:50 AM »

employees of that business can drive if they are on company business. so two problems. hard to say you are an employee of usaa and that you are on company business
Except USAA is different than your typical corporate account. It clearly states on their website that any USAA member can drive the car. All you have to do is sign up. Just thinking,  its probably better off to have a bank account with them that way you have a. company ID and b. Some sort of membership other than a username and password.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2012, 01:53:13 AM »
Except USAA is different than your typical corporate account. It clearly states on their website that any USAA member can drive the car. All you have to do is sign up. Just thinking,  its probably better off to have a bank account with them that way you have a. company ID and b. Some sort of membership other than a username and password.

Its been said a couple of times in this thread,  but I don't mind saying it again  ;) , the above statements are true but only help for permission for the additional drivers to drive the vehicle.  but for insurance purposes - many times the T&C state that only drivers listed on the contract are covered.  .

So as much as hertz doesn't mind,  it won't help in case of an accident c"v.

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 01:58:56 AM »
where does it say that. all i see is that there is no fee