Author Topic: 2012 infiniti g37x with navigation 18 month lease only $299!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 49369 times)

Offline 3ZeroT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 infiniti g37x with navigation 18 month lease only $299!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2012, 09:08:59 PM »
If you buy a new car every 3 years, leasing is a better idea than buying.

Even worse than you might think because of sales tax.  (In most states) you get taxed on the lease payment, not the price of the car.  Take this Infiniti for example, you buy it for $35k x 7% sales tax you pay $2450 in tax.   You lease it @ $250/month and you pay only $1000 in tax after 3 years.  You saved $1450 in tax.

buying is much better because you build equity.

Is there really an 'equity' advantage here? I can buy this car with say a $500 car payment and have some equity after a few years.  Or  I can lease for $250/month and put the other $250 in the bank every month and have 'equity' at the end of the lease too.  In terms of paying the cost of depreciation does it really matter?

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
Is there really an 'equity' advantage here? I can buy this car with say a $500 car payment and have some equity after a few years.  Or  I can lease for $250/month and put the other $250 in the bank every month and have 'equity' at the end of the lease too.  In terms of paying the cost of depreciation does it really matter?
When you buy a car, you are paying to own it. When you lease, you are paying for someone else to own it, plus you are helping them make money by charging you interest.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »
When you buy a car, you are paying to own it. When you lease, you are paying for someone else to own it, plus you are helping them make money by charging you interest.
Exactly. Thats why I dont get how it can be cheaper to lease?

But the numbers seem very close. Even from 5 years. Unless Im missing something.

Offline 3ZeroT

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:39 PM »

I don't see it the same way as you are sinking money into a depreciating asset.  You pay a cost to 'use' it based on what you paid minus what you eventually sell it for.  Not alot unlike a lease.

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »
Exactly. Thats why I dont get how it can be cheaper to lease?
But the numbers seem very close. Even from 5 years. Unless Im missing something.
I don't see it the same way as you are sinking money into a depreciating asset.  You pay a cost to 'use' it based on what you paid minus what you eventually sell it for.  Not alot unlike a lease.
When you drive a new car off the lot it instantly loses around 11% of it's value. After that it loses like 10% each year. Therefore, if you buy a new car often, you are taking that big depreciation hit too many times. In addition, as was mentioned earlier, when you buy it you pay around 7% tax on the entire price of the car.
If however you keep it for a long time, you can better absorb the depreciation and tax because you are not just buying and reselling -you are using it for a bunch of years. How much it's officially depreciating doesn't bother you because you are getting use out of it. In an extreme case where you keep it over 10 years (Gasp!) you really save a lot. People are still driving 2002's and many are in great condition with plenty of value left on them. The longer you keep it, the more you save on the buy vs. lease calculations.
Another alternative is buy the car used - and let someone else absorb the 'driving off the lot depreciation'!
Right now used cars happen to be very expensive which is why for the first time ever people are saying that it may be a better deal to buy new over used.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
I really don't think you are missing anything. A lease on a good deal can be very attractive. A lot of the comparisons use very high numbers for the leasing which, if you know how to find a good deal, is just inaccurate.

The reason leasing can sometimes be so cheap is because a lot of the knew cars are being built very well that they keep a lot of their value after 3 years. That's especially true with the accord which is why it's such a great lease value
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline kangaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2012, 10:09:59 PM »
Never heard that before, nor does it seem to make sense.

Link?

its only cheaper if you own, because the requirements for insurance amounts is up to you, you can opt for higher deductibles/less coverage which will bring your ins cost down, . with a lease/finance however, the bank requires minimums. so he is in essence correct.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »
with a lease/finance however, the bank requires minimums. so he is in essence correct.
What kind of minimums?  Something the average car owner would have anyway?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline kangaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »
What kind of minimums?  Something the average car owner would have anyway?

for instance the 100/300k injury i believe.

dan , you provoking me to get to 100? lol

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »
There's a lot more negotiating room when buying a car than with leasing.

Anyone worth his salt will never reveal the fact that he intends to lease until he's already settled on the price of the car.

its only cheaper if you own, because the requirements for insurance amounts is up to you, you can opt for higher deductibles/less coverage which will bring your ins cost down, . with a lease/finance however, the bank requires minimums. so he is in essence correct.

Seems like you missed a few posts...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline 3ZeroT

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2012, 10:31:35 PM »
Yeah Mark, I think we agree on more than you think.  I have leased in the past but I actually own a 2007 Altima I bought used on ebay in Jan 2009 for $12k (back when the entire car market / economy was in the dumps), and based on what I think I could sell it for now I have effectively 'leased' it for about $85/month for 12k/yr.  I got lucky I've had no problems outside of warranty and I do my own maintenance so that hasn't really been a factor.  I imagine you will have made a similarly wise choice with the Sonata.  But if I wanted to get back into a new car I think leasing can be the way to go if the right deal/situation comes along.   I like the cash flow benefits and the defined cost that eliminates some 'risk' with keeping the car outside of warranty and hassle of selling it on your own.  But odds are you will come out ahead when you buy and keep a car for a long time.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2012, 11:03:45 PM »
Seems like everyone more or less agrees.

Short term, lease. Long term, buy.

Its the area in between which looks a little gray.

Offline 3ZeroT

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2012, 11:57:49 PM »
Short term, lease. Long term, buy.
Its the area in between which looks a little gray.

As usual!  The car model you pick is probably a bigger factor in your cost to own than whether you buy or lease it. Cars with better reliability and less expensive maintenance/repair costs have better residual and thus are cheap to own and cheap to lease.   Add in heavy discounts off MSRP due to new models coming out soon (as is the case now for these high residual car models like the G37, Accord, Altima, etc) and it is an even better opportunity to get a great car that is cheap to either lease or buy...

Offline KidOOO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 11, 2012, 03:39:33 PM »
Anyone know what is the minimum insurance required for the lease of the G37X

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »
Anyone know what is the minimum insurance required for the lease of the G37X

Most leases require 100/300. But it's in the leasing documents IIRC.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline KidOOO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »
Most leases require 100/300. But it's in the leasing documents IIRC.

Thanks,

is there anyone who leased this model that can tell me for sure, and will i need to get Comprehensive and Collision? and is there a max deductible requirement?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 11, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »
Thanks,

is there anyone who leased this model that can tell me for sure, and will i need to get Comprehensive and Collision? and is there a max deductible requirement?

They don't care about deductible amount.

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 11, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »
Thanks,

Confirmed (by a friend who just showed me a copy of his insurance policy with the minimums selected)

Offline Q274

• View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #218 on: July 11, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
I am test driving the g37x for a week- will let y'all know how I feel.......

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #219 on: July 11, 2012, 05:25:25 PM »
I am test driving the g37x for a week- will let y'all know how I feel.......

Nobody's gonna say that it's not a fun sporty ride.
Just a question of sacrificing space and paying more for said ride.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.