Author Topic: Best AMEX card with no annual fee (even the first year)  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Best AMEX card with no annual fee (even the first year)
« on: February 18, 2010, 03:55:36 PM »
My bro wants to dump his Spg Amex card due to the annual fee, but doesn't want to cancel with amex. So which card would you recommend him asking to be transferred to?
 Can he ask to get transferred to a good card that normally gives a sign-up bonus, and somehow recieve that bonus as well, and have the first year be waved as if he is a new customer? Which card would be the best?
 Or, if the above is not possible and he should just transfer to one of the NO ANNUAL FEE cards, which one would you recommend?
 He isn't a big spender.
  Thanks

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Best AMEX card with no annual fee (even the first year)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:01:26 PM »
IMHO an Amex is designed for spenders. If you spend less, get a Visa or Mastercard.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:07:07 PM »
when i tried to convert my spg (consumer, not business) to something with no fee, there were only 2 options; (hilton) hhonors and 1 other. (they have other fee free ones, but not convertible from spg for some reason)

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »
IMHO an Amex is designed for spenders. If you spend less, get a Visa or Mastercard.

Realize that I stated that he DOESN'T WANT TO CANCEL A CREDIT CARD. Therefore I am asking for advice regarding AMEX.

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »
 I cant believe someone will leave the SPG Amex over $45. heck if anything he should get the Biz SPG Amex and theres a 5% rebate on Hertz among other vendors that would move then offset the annual fee after the 1st yr

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 10:59:43 PM »
I cant believe someone will leave the SPG Amex over $45. heck if anything he should get the Biz SPG Amex and theres a 5% rebate on Hertz among other vendors that would move then offset the annual fee after the 1st yr
that's if you ever use hertz. enterprise (with chabad corp) is almost always half the price of hertz.  (for when priceline isn't helping)
besides, you can get the OPEN savings on any Biz Amex, incl. the fee-free ones (such as the 3% gas 1% everything else cashback one)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »
Excluding the Starpoints I get my $45 worth just from return protection. Love it!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 01:39:46 AM »
You don't need to believe it, but im stating the facts. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me if it's possible to be converted into a card that gives a bonus, but the first year is free, and that he will still get the bonus, or does he need to go for a plain free Amex card without any bonus points, and which card would that be?

Offline MOSES

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 05:42:05 AM »
You don't need to believe it, but im stating the facts. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me if it's possible to be converted into a card that gives a bonus, but the first year is free, and that he will still get the bonus, or does he need to go for a plain free Amex card without any bonus points, and which card would that be?
YMMV. you are no supposed to be able to , but some ppl have reported that they have manged to do so