Author Topic: Does UA charge extra miles for an additional stop, or do they disallow it altogether?  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Hi all,

I'm thinking of squeezing a free trip to HNL out of my TLV-NYC trip (a la the AA trick) byao booking TLV-EWR-stop; EWR-HNL-destination; HNL-EWR-stop; EWR-TLV-back to origin. If I understand the rules correctly, UA allows two open jaws and one stop on a TLV-USA itinerary. So... will they allow this routing, and make me pay a few extra miles for the second stop? Or will they make me make two separate itineraries out of it, and charge me the full mileage rate for each one?

TIA!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Two sep, if the rep knows  the rules :)
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Two sep, if the rep knows  the rules :)

And if they don't...?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
You don't pay anything extra.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
Have you personally ever gotten them to give two stops and two OJs on a roundtrip?

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Have you personally ever gotten them to give two stops and two OJs on a roundtrip?
Two open jaws is allowed. Two stopovers arent.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
But you could do tlv-ewr-hnl oj ewr-tlv, correct? And at least get half your trip to Hawaii
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
Two open jaws is allowed. Two stopovers arent.

I know... but PG seemed to imply that you can get away with two stops anyway. So I wanted to know if he's ever done it personally...

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
But you could do tlv-ewr-hnl oj ewr-tlv, correct? And at least get half your trip to Hawaii

I believe so - that's what I was gonna do for plan B. Anyone wanna chime in with personal experience?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
I know... but PG seemed to imply that you can get away with two stops anyway. So I wanted to know if he's ever done it personally...
I can't recall specifically, but I've done way weirder things with UA. Its been discussed here before. Just make the last flight within 24hrs (so its not a stopover), & call to extend the stay

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
Just make the last flight within 24hrs (so its not a stopover), & call to extend the stay

When - while it's on hold? Right after it's ticketed? After some legs have been flown?

Thanks!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
When - while it's on hold? Right after it's ticketed? After some legs have been flown?

Thanks!
More likely to work after ticketing.

Offline theeari

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Quick question:

I have been trying to read up on the stopover rules for a domestic UA award, but I'm a bit lost. I would really appreciate it if I could get some feedback on the below itinerary that I just put on hold and wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing s/t up.

12/31: EWR-HNL (40k business)
12/31: HNL- LIH  (5k)
01/06: LIH-OGG  (free?)

01/10: OGG-HNL (5k)
01/10: HNL-ORD- LGA (40k business)

The agent told me that she had to split the reservation into 2 parts (idk why). The reservation is for 2 in business and came out to 90k pp in Business. Is there any way to book this trip w/o paying for the interisland stops?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
90K is the correct rate for that itin, enjoy, and well done on finding a 40K ticket from EWR-HNL!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline theeari

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Thanks so much Dan! Ya, I got really lucky with that flight. I decided to check Hawaii flights after my wife nixed the Maldives itinerary I had on hold. :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Thanks so much Dan! Ya, I got really lucky with that flight. I decided to check Hawaii flights after my wife nixed the Maldives itinerary I had on hold. :)
Dood, if you can go Singapore to the Maldives take that.  Quite possibly a once in a lifetime glitch.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline theeari

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
That's what I told her, but she doesnt think she'll be able to handle the long flights. (even in biz class). Shes also scared of the Muslim peeps over there (I sort of am too). Specifically, the fact that their laws ban the open practice of any other religion. She googled it and used her imagination. Not sure what the deal is, but I decided not worth booking if we wouldnt both be totally excited. Either way, after sending her ur Kauai trip reports she was sold. Thanks again!!!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It'll be easier to handle the 18 hour SQ flight in J than the 11 hour UA flight in J and plenty of DDF'ers have gone to MLE without ever having a single issue.

But I'm sure you'll love LIH and OGG as well, it's just that SQ to MLE like that is just such a rare occurrence...

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
That's what I told her, but she doesnt think she'll be able to handle the long flights. (even in biz class). Shes also scared of the Muslim peeps over there (I sort of am too). Specifically, the fact that their laws ban the open practice of any other religion. She googled it and used her imagination. Not sure what the deal is, but I decided not worth booking if we wouldnt both be totally excited.

There's nothing to worry about. I used my tallis and tefillin on Etihad Airways without a peep.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Dood, if you can go Singapore to the Maldives take that.  Quite possibly a once in a lifetime glitch.
There's nothing to worry about. I used my tallis and tefillin on Etihad Airways without a peep.

+1

Trust me that the Muslims in MLE are much friendlier than the imposters that will greet you with those flower rings at LIH. The Hawaiian "Culture" is possibly the fakest one I've ever seen with the exception of Native Americans. On my last day in Hawaii I told my wife that if one more idiot put on a fake smile and said Aloha to me I'd deck them.

Oh and one last thing.

This is totally worth causing Shalom Bayis issues over :)