List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki

Author Topic: Bora Bora Master Thread  (Read 248039 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Bora Bora Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 10:28:12 AM »
From what I've read BB is supposed to be otherworldly.
I hope to have a TR one day though comparing the two...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »
im rly tempted to go in august i have the miles for flights with aa and i can get enough hhonors points but then as another 1k on top f that for the airfare from ppt to bora bora. im a poor student lol

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »
im rly tempted to go in august i have the miles for flights with aa and i can get enough hhonors points but then as another 1k on top f that for the airfare from ppt to bora bora. im a poor student lol
sell some points/miles

Offline aycee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »
bought like 1MM anticipating the WA J'lem

I'm anticipating the WA J'lem as well but worried that it'll be an unreasonable amount of points
AFAIK the Grand Wailea Resort is the most expensive WA as far as points go 70K offpeak and 80K peak. Most WAs are 50K OPK and 60K PK. But it seems that WAs somehow decide on their own how many points to accept for free nights as well as when peak and offpeak season are.
That said, I'm assuming the WA J'lem will be 10000000000000000 per night :(

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2011, 03:47:35 PM »
I'm anticipating the WA J'lem as well but worried that it'll be an unreasonable amount of points
AFAIK the Grand Wailea Resort is the most expensive WA as far as points go 70K offpeak and 80K peak. Most WAs are 50K OPK and 60K PK. But it seems that WAs somehow decide on their own how many points to accept for free nights as well as when peak and offpeak season are.
That said, I'm assuming the WA J'lem will be 10000000000000000 per night :(
Plus there are discounts on all HH hotels for multi-night stays with VIP awards.
Points are based on rates charged, so we'll see what happens.
Has anyone heard an ETA for the opening?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 04:45:03 PM »
With the introduction of "Points & Money", "Premium Room Rewards" and "Room Upgrade Rewards", HHonors is definitely something to start looking at.
They haven't quite rolled out these options across the board so its still yet to see just how valuable it will be.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2011, 01:53:29 PM »
Most importantly, I would like to find out what is the best option as far as getting there on points, which airline to use and how to route the trip.

+1

Anyone? Points from NY to Bora Bora?

Looking to go on a honeymoon... Considering Maldives/Tahiti/Bora Bora -- any other suggestions for something tropical?

I have never been to Bora Bora, but Ihave been to Papeete (the main island) and to Moorea. I went with my wife on our honeymoon in August 2006.
On the way back to NY we stopped in Tahiti and stayed for a week. Spent a few days and Shabbos in Papeete, decent hotel. On Sunday we took a boat to Moorea, about a half hour away. What an island. A lot of the locals say that Moorea is just as nice as Bora Bora (some say even nicer) but a lot quieter since there are not as many tourists. We stayed in the Moorea Pearl Resort, very nice place, pretty pricey.

The ideal way to vacation is to stay in the over water bungalows - extremely expensive. I need to warn anyone that plans a vacation there, there are very few beaches and they are tiny. The beach in front of our hotel was maybe ten feet an not very wide. But the amazing thing is the water. Take ten steps into the water from our hotel and there is a drop where it becomes very deep and there is just a wall of coral, with amazing colorful fish swimming right up to you. I can't describe the feeling, you could just take snorkeling gear and be in the water for hours watching this stuff.

If anyone is interested in hearing more or need some tips, respond to this post. I would love to hear from someone else that went there.

So you weren't disappointed with Moorea? Why did you stay in Papette and not Moorea? What did you do for food?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »
Fiji, Solomon Islands, Langkawi, Seychelles, Nosy Iranja to name a few.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
Fiji, Solomon Islands, Langkawi, Seychelles, Nosy Iranja to name a few.

Have any personal experience with any of them?

How would you rank them?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »
Have any personal experience with any of them?

How would you rank them?
No, but on my list. It really depends where you stay. If its a special occasion splurge on the Four Seasons or similar.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »
I want to go for a honeymoon.

My factors are: 1) i'd like the place to be nice, 2) i'd like to use miles to get there.

Any recs based on the above?

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2012, 04:23:14 AM »
Anyone want to take the whole family to French Polynesia?

AF 674 LAX 03/15/12  11:05 PM   PPT 03/16/12  4:20 AM   772 56% / 35m    Business - Classic Awards & Upgrades    O    9

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2012, 06:50:22 AM »
I just noticed that Hilton has lowered their properties in Moorea and Bora Bora from category 7 to category 5!!!

This means just 35K/night for 1-3 night stays, 29,750/night for 4 night stays, 28K/night for 5 night stays, and 26,250/night for 6+ night stays!

Considering I just loaded up on HH points at .49cpp that makes stays there as low as $128.
$128 for Bora Bora?!?!?!?!  Sign me up!

Looks like it's cat 7 now.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »

AF 674 LAX 03/15/12  11:05 PM   PPT 03/16/12  4:20 AM   772 56% / 35m    Business - Classic Awards & Upgrades    O    9

Been scouting out the LAX-PPT route because you wanna go? eh? :)

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2012, 10:11:45 AM »
Been scouting out the LAX-PPT route because you wanna go? eh? :)
Yup :)

But probably won't go too soon...

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2012, 10:19:29 AM »

and swim back? :)

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »
Thought I'd point out that Korean (Chase UR transfer partner) partners with AF and only charges 90k RT USA-Tahiti in business class.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »
Thought I'd point out that Korean (Chase UR transfer partner) partners with AF and only charges 90k RT USA-Tahiti in business class.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my UR on a Korean redemption. I'd prefer to use AMEX MR to DL while hopefully snagging of the oft-used promos.

(Korean awards can be booked using DL can't they?)

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't waste my UR on a Korean redemption. I'd prefer to use AMEX MR to DL while hopefully snagging of the oft-used promos.

(Korean awards can be booked using DL can't they?)
What would you waste your UR on?

Yes, Korean is a Skyteam member.

Even with a 50% bonus,Korean is cheaper then DL.
And I'd waste my 150k on V Australia to downunder in biz  cos 90k UR ain't getting me there :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:49:12 AM by aussiebochur »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2012, 10:45:33 AM »
What would you waste you're UR on?

Yes, Korean is a Skyteam member.

Even with a 50% bonus,Korean is cheaper then DL.
And I'd waste my 150k on V Australia to downunder cos 90k UR ain't getting me there :P

<embarrassing>

Not sure why, but I mistakenly thought I can use 90K DL to redeem KE Business Award. Yeah, DL is 150K RT even at their low business award. Moving on.

Personally, I like to use AMEX MR for airline travel and UR for hotel (Hyatt) travel.