Author Topic: American Express Stories  (Read 1653 times)

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
American Express Stories
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »
I thought this might be an interesting thread for people to discuss how a credit card company had helped them out.
I had called Amex after buying an expensive item on my SPG and realized I had never gotten a receipt. All my calls and emails got me nowhere so I called Amex and asked if there was anything they could do. Within a week Amex had gotten me a copy of my receipt with a handwritten apology from the manager of the store! (The receipt was important for a rebate)

Offline dhalpern1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Re: American Express Stories
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »
I bought a Lenovo which broke 2 times within the first 6 months, all under the one year warranty. One of the guys in Lenovo told me that it was my fault for not buying a top of the line unit and only getting the "cheaper" thinkpad. They blamed me for the damage and wanted to charge me 400 to fix a $600 computer within my warranty. I kept calling and they passed me around from person to person and was running around in circles. I called AMEX and they cancelled the charge after ruling in my favor. AMEX was so great to deal with.

Then theres a non Amex part of the story. 1 year later, Lenovo sent a collection agency after me for the purchase price of the computer. This really set me off. I took the AMEX judgement and filed a complaint with the NY Attorney General's office. That got the attention of their higher ups. One of them contacted me so I told him to call off the collection and I never wanted to hear from them again, and that was it.

I learned that AMEX is very helpful in disputing charges on faulty merchandise, and Lenovo is faulty merchandise with terrible customer service.

Offline Nitantnel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:51:08 AM »
I bought a Lenovo which broke 2 times within the first 6 months, all under the one year warranty. One of the guys in Lenovo told me that it was my fault for not buying a top of the line unit and only getting the "cheaper" thinkpad. They blamed me for the damage and wanted to charge me 400 to fix a $600 computer within my warranty. I kept calling and they passed me around from person to person and was running around in circles. I called AMEX and they cancelled the charge after ruling in my favor. AMEX was so great to deal with.

Then theres a non Amex part of the story. 1 year later, Lenovo sent a collection agency after me for the purchase price of the computer. This really set me off. I took the AMEX judgement and filed a complaint with the NY Attorney General's office. That got the attention of their higher ups. One of them contacted me so I told him to call off the collection and I never wanted to hear from them again, and that was it.

I learned that AMEX is very helpful in disputing charges on faulty merchandise, and Lenovo is faulty merchandise with terrible customer service.

I never heard of such bad experience with Lenovo  :-\ .

Offline dhalpern1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Priority Club Platinum Elite
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:55:15 AM »
I never heard of such bad experience with Lenovo  :-\ .

I feel like most people have bad experiences with at least one of computer companies.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »
That's the only way they could afford to charge 3% from the merchant and still be in business: excellent customer service.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »
That's the only way they could afford to charge 3% from the merchant and still be in business: excellent customer service.
why would their customer service help keep them in business, its not the customer saying the 3%. (except if you mean that there is a demand to use their cards.)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
That's what I mean.
Smart guy...
Love me or hate me. I still love you.