Author Topic: Information/Instruction Card for credit card instructions (for wife)  (Read 11199 times)

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: Information/Instruction Card for credit card instructions (for wife)
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »

Not fair to drive a wife crazy with all these rules IMO, bad enough we are like that (I know it good too...)
+1000
Oh we all have the same issues...
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 06:44:16 PM »
It's really not a big issue, I just keep mentioning to her the simple rules --- blue card under $10, clear card groceries, and red card everything else.  She says she's got it but then uses the clear card for $1 charges, blue card for groceries, etc.  It's not causing an unhappy home and we don't fight about about but she doesn't like being reminded. 

I do most the grocery shopping, but we spend a lot and would prefer she use the 6% cash back card when she does. 

She'll get it for awhile, but the Freedom's rotating categories mess her up.  I guess until we get the Wallaby card, I'll not include her on the Freedom rotating categories (but those will be tough to pass up).
Any chance of buying Visa GC's with the Amex BCP and have her use them for everything? This will give you 5% on everything she buys.

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 06:47:39 PM »
Any chance of buying Visa GC's with the Amex BCP and have her use them for everything? This will give you 5% on everything she buys.

That's a great idea. 

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »
That's a great idea. 
then she'll have to start keeping track how much money is left on each visa  :D

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 06:55:57 PM »
Citi TY & Amex BCP.
the citi ty 5ppd is rotating, or set?

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »
That's a great idea.
If you go that route make sure you keep a copy of the GC info in case it gets lost. This way you can get it replaced or better yet just use it online.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 06:58:08 PM »
the citi ty 5ppd is rotating, or set?
5% on everything but no longer available.

Offline adam0619

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
Assuming 1.8 for UR and 2.25 for SPG (feel free to plugin your own values) it should be:

-Amex Blue Cash Preferred for groceries.

-Freedom under $88 and for Q3 and Q4 bonus categories:
07/01-09/30: Dining and gas stations.
10/01-12/31: Hotels, Airlines, Best Buy, and Kohl’s.

-SP for dining and travel $10 or more if there is no Freedom Q3/Q4 bonus.

-SPG Amex for everything else or anything that may need to be returned, warrantied, or disputed.

Print it on an index card!

The Amex blue card preferred has the $75 annual fee.  With 6% cash back on groceries, that would yield a nice return.  But if I want to avoid paying more annual fees, what's the best card to use to earn points on groceries?

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »
The Amex blue card preferred has the $75 annual fee.  With 6% cash back on groceries, that would yield a nice return.  But if I want to avoid paying more annual fees, what's the best card to use to earn points on groceries?

If you want cash, the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card pays 3% on groceries.  But if you do the math you can easily make up the $75 annual fee earning 6% instead of 3% (if you buy a decent amount of groceries). 

Edit:  $2500 in groceries over the course of the year ($208/month) would net you an additional $75 to cover the fee.  I easily spend more than $208 on groceries a month and if you mix in gift cards (love the ARCO gift cards).

Offline adam0619

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »
If you want cash, the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card pays 3% on groceries.  But if you do the math you can easily make up the $75 annual fee earning 6% instead of 3% (if you buy a decent amount of groceries).

Yes, I understand that.  But if I want to focus my energies on earning points and not getting cash back, which would be the best card to use to earn the most points on everyday grocery purchases?

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »
Yes, I understand that.  But if I want to focus my energies on earning points and not getting cash back, which would be the best card to use to earn the most points on everyday grocery purchases?

I'm not sure if Staples or other office supply stores sell gift cards to grocery stores like Kroeger, etc., but if they do the Chase Ink Bold paying 5 points per dollar at office supply stores is by far the best way to get the most points. 

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

If you want Hilton points there's a card for that. :)
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 06:25:16 PM »
If you're into Hilton HHonors, the zero annual fee Amex HHonors pays 6 HHonors points per dollar at grocery stores, gas stations and drug stores (and others).  HHonors points aren't the most valuable point, but 6 per dollar is better than 1 SPG point or 1 UR point. 

Offline adam0619

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »
If you're into Hilton HHonors, the zero annual fee Amex HHonors pays 6 HHonors points per dollar at grocery stores, gas stations and drug stores (and others).  HHonors points aren't the most valuable point, but 6 per dollar is better than 1 SPG point or 1 UR point.

Interesting.  Here's my thinking.  I'll assume I spend $300/month on groceries (just me and the wife).  6% cash back on the Amex blue cash preferred yields $216 - $75 = $141 cash back.  Here's a breakdown of the various HHonors cards (which seem to offer the highest yield for points to groceries spend), including signup bonuses, and point values with the equivalent cash values for Waldorf Astoria locations.  I'll base it on the rack rate prices for the Grand Wailea in Maui (I wonder what the Jerusalem Waldorf will go for...), which, as of today, has a rack rate for a Deluxe Garden room of $589/night.  I figure points would be worth more than cash for stays at the Waldorf resorts based on the following:

Cash back: With a grocery budget of $300/month = $3600/year @ 6% cash back = $216.
Points: With a grocery budget of $300/month = $3600/year = 21,600 points. 

Grand Wailea (Waldorf resort) room = $589/night v. 50000 points for a free Waldorf stay (from here).
If I use the cash back value towards the hotel room, one year of groceries will pay for 37% of the hotel room.  But if I use points, one year of groceries (not including signup bonuses) will pay for 43% of the hotel room.  The difference may be minimal, but if I'm looking to use the points for a particular trip and want to extend it beyond a one-year use, it probably would be worth it (if you disagree, let me know!).  Again, I'd love to see what Waldorf Jerusalem would go for...

Citi HHonors Reserve Card:
Signup Bonus: two weekend night certs at select hotels (cat 1-7 and select Waldorf properties)
Annual Fee: $95
Earnings on Groceries: 3 ppd
Total Points per year on groceries: 10,800

Citi HHonors Visa Signature:
Signup Bonus: 40,000 ($1K spend first 4 months)
Annual Fee: none
Earnings on Groceries: 3 ppd
Total Points per year on groceries: 10,800

Hilton HHonors Card from Amex:
Signup Bonus: 40,000 ($750 spend first 3 months)
Annual Fee: none
Earnings on Groceries: 6 ppd (and 6 ppd on most bills)
Total Points per year on groceries: 21,600

Hilton HHonors Surpass from Amex:
Signup Bonus: 40,000 (1st purchase) + 20,000 ($3K spend first 3 months)
Annual Fee: $75
Earnings on Groceries: 6 ppd (and 6 ppd on most bills, 9 ppd at hilton properties)
Total Points per year on groceries: 21,600

Basically, I don't see any benefit to the Hilton Visa card over the Hilton Amex (and I've never come across a grocery store that doesn't accept Amex).  I'm currently HHonors Gold, so I get a 25% bonus on all Base points earned (Question: Do points earned through CC bonuses count as base points?)

Seems like the HHonors card from Amex is the fastest way to earn in the long run (> 1 year).  While the Citi HHonors Reserve card would give me the 2 free stays, I have no interest in spending $10K on the card for the yearly stays after that.

Thoughts?  Am I foolishly overlooking something?

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »
The Grand Wailea is 70,000 points per night off-peak and 80,000 peak.  However, there are discounted rates if you stay for more nights, but it I think it will still always be more than 50k per night.   

HHonors points can have a great value, but IMO your trip needs to match up with the discounted AMEX award rates (preferred for cat 6 and cat 7s) or VIP rates (for cat 4s and cat 5s).  For instance, one night in an upscale Hilton hotel is usually a not-so-great value for points.  Most of their decent hotels are cat 7 and require 50,000 points (W-A are much more).  But if you are staying for 4 nights (not 5 and not 3) there is great value at roughly 36,250 per night.  Since you can't use AXON awards on W-A properties, I rarely even consider using my HHonors points for those properties (we'll see about Jerusalem). 

Offline NewYorker11219

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
Would Somebody be ablw to help me with my Card line up ? (Since Dans Post on Nov. 1st is already to old)

I have a
-Chase Freedom Card
-Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
-Chase United Explorer Card
-Amex Delta Gold Card
-Amex Starwood Preferred Guest Card

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »
Would Somebody be ablw to help me with my Card line up ? (Since Dans Post on Nov. 1st is already to old)

I have a
-Chase Freedom Card
-Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
-Chase United Explorer Card
-Amex Delta Gold Card
-Amex Starwood Preferred Guest Card
Do you have Chase checking?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.