Author Topic: Information/Instruction Card for credit card instructions (for wife)  (Read 11086 times)

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
My wife loves the benefits of my mileage/points addiction but she cannot remember which credit card to use when despite my repeated attempts to explain and simplify.  It's frustrating to see her use the wrong card repeatedly when looking over the statements each month.   

I'm considering using the back side of a business card, but was wondering if anyone knew of a company that produces a credit card sized card that can be customized with instructions (similar to Award Wallet's mileage account number card)?  If Award Wallet charges on $10 for their card, I would think these should be available cheap. 

Offline Zeeeeks

• View Profile
Re: Information/Instruction Card for credit card instructions (for wife)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »
My wife loves the benefits of my mileage/points addiction but she cannot remember which credit card to use when despite my repeated attempts to explain and simplify.  It's frustrating to see her use the wrong card repeatedly when looking over the statements each month.   

I'm considering using the back side of a business card, but was wondering if anyone knew of a company that produces a credit card sized card that can be customized with instructions (similar to Award Wallet's mileage account number card)?  If Award Wallet charges on $10 for their card, I would think these should be available cheap.
Did you sign up for the Wallaby Card?

Offline Red

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »
Wallaby Rewards Card

edit: Oops you beat me to it.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

Until Wallaby.. why not add a little post it sticky note to each card with a reminder?  I've done that to help people and it works pretty well...
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »
Perfect.  Thanks!

Offline RJ898

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »
I gave my wife a SP and a Freedom card. I told her: use the freedom for under $10, gas and food. SP for everything else.
Part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
I gave my wife a SP and a Freedom card. I told her: use the freedom for under $10, gas and food. SP for everything else.

If you link a Freedom to a Chase checking account it pays more than SP.  My simplified rules for my wife are:

Freedom under $20
SP for dining over $20 (she doesn't book travel)
Amex Blue Preferred for groceries (we buy a lot)
SPG Amex for everything else

For whatever reason, she can't memorize this and gets frustrated every time I call her out on it. 

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »
To me it doesn't seem like something worth having a shalom bayis issue over.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
If you link a Freedom to a Chase checking account it pays more than SP.  My simplified rules for my wife are:

Freedom under $20

For whatever reason, she can't memorize this and gets frustrated every time I call her out on it. 

I've taken away her SP (dining over $20) and Hilton Amex (gas, drug stores)

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »

I agree, and I try not to make a big deal out of it, but this Wallby card could make this issue disappear. 

Offline sky121

• View Profile

+1000

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »
Sounds very funny, taken away her cards
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »

Freedom under $20

Assuming 1.8 for UR and 2.25 for SPG (feel free to plugin your own values) it should be:

-Amex Blue Cash Preferred for groceries.

-Freedom under $88 and for Q3 and Q4 bonus categories:
07/01-09/30: Dining and gas stations.
10/01-12/31: Hotels, Airlines, Best Buy, and Kohl’s.

-SP for dining and travel $10 or more if there is no Freedom Q3/Q4 bonus.

-SPG Amex for everything else or anything that may need to be returned, warrantied, or disputed.

Print it on an index card!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »

Freedom under $20

i think you need to re-prioritize a bit man...  to anyone not "in" the game, this stuff is chinese.  you can't reasonably expect her to go through all the cheshbonos every time she makes a purchase.   you also can't expect her to flip through 5 cards reading stickies every time she's at a store, it's not fair, and to be honest, it's not so normal.   give her one or two cards max, and be done with it.       the point difference at the end of the year is really not enough to be worth going through the bills to make sure she's doing it right and "calling her out" on it.       

alternatively, if it's that important to you, maybe you should start doing the shopping ;)

Offline sky121

• View Profile
i think you need to re-prioritize a bit man...  to anyone not "in" the game, this stuff is chinese.  you can't reasonably expect her to go through all the cheshbonos every time she makes a purchase.   you also can't expect her to flip through 5 cards reading stickies every time she's at a store, it's not fair, and to be honest, it's not so normal.   give her one or two cards max, and be done with it.       the point difference at the end of the year is really not enough to be worth going through the bills to make sure she's doing it right and "calling her out" on it.       

alternatively, if it's that important to you, maybe you should start doing the shopping ;)

I agree not to let this become an issue but I can see how it could irritate someone. Obviously it's not worth fighting over nor is it the norm to expect her to know all the information about which credit card to use. It's not exactly common sense. Before we jump on the guy let's hope he's just annoyed and not taking out in his wife. Dan's idea for an index card seems like a great solution too. Hopefully that will help.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Only two cards for DW and also me. We believe in the KISS system.  :)
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »
I usually leave the white stickers on the front of the card so i can write things on there...such as how much i need to spend and by when...

That might be helpful as well to write what kind of purchases that card is for.

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 05:18:12 PM »

It's really not a big issue, I just keep mentioning to her the simple rules --- blue card under $10, clear card groceries, and red card everything else.  She says she's got it but then uses the clear card for $1 charges, blue card for groceries, etc.  It's not causing an unhappy home and we don't fight about about but she doesn't like being reminded. 

I do most the grocery shopping, but we spend a lot and would prefer she use the 6% cash back card when she does. 

She'll get it for awhile, but the Freedom's rotating categories mess her up.  I guess until we get the Wallaby card, I'll not include her on the Freedom rotating categories (but those will be tough to pass up). 

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »
Only two cards for DW and also me.
which?

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
She says she's got it but then uses the clear card for $1 charges, blue card for groceries, etc.  It's not causing an unhappy home and we don't fight about about but she doesn't like being reminded. 

I do most the grocery shopping, but we spend a lot and would prefer she use the 6% cash back card when she does. 
Maybe consider opening an account by the grocery, so you can put it all on that account, and you pay the balance by the end of the month with that card.
Not fair to drive a wife crazy with all these rules IMO, bad enough we are like that (I know it good too...)