Author Topic: Mortgage/Car credit question  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Shua

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Mortgage/Car credit question
« on: July 13, 2012, 02:14:42 PM »
So I hope to close on a house in mid August. I am already approved for a mortgage and my credit score is 762. My wife has even better credit score (above 800, she was an AU on her parents CC for years). As of now only my name is on the mortgage as we could qualify with only my income. (B"H). My mortgage broker said that there is a benefit to only have my name on the mortgage as if I go bankrupt (C"V) my wifes credit score will be clear.
I am now looking in to leasing the infiniti G37x. I have one month left to my Honda Accord lease. It would be benifital to have the car in my name as a) I could transfer my old plates saving ~$150 and b) I could write it off as a business expense.

My mortgage broker told me that before I close, the bank does a credit refresher (soft pull?) just to make sure that nothing changed since when they first ran your credit. If my credit score dips below 740 I will not get the best mortgage rate.

So my questions are this.

1)If I put the infiniti in my name will the car loan banks hard inquiry dip my credit score 23 points below 740?

2) Even if the hard pull doesn't dip my credit score, will the extra debt now that I have taken on a new lease dip my score below 740? (On my credit score it has that my honda only has 1 month left so not much debt)

3) If I do put it in my wifes name and take the ~$150 loss for the plate transfer will I still be able to write it off as a tax expense? (I will be the one driving it for business and while we have a second car it is in my name and  its significantly cheaper so I would rather expense the more expensive car)

4) Is there any truth to what my mortgage broker said about only my name being on the mortgage (in case I go bankrupt my wife's credit score will still be ok)? Are there any cons that anyone could think of with just putting my name on the mortgage? Any other pros?

TIA

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Mortgage/Car credit question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 02:23:01 PM »
-I don't think the Inifiniti will drop you by 23+ points but having it in your wife's name seems like a good idea and you can still write it off if the car is used for documented business purposes.

-If you were to c"v injure/kill someone in an accident then your assets can be at risk, including your house in most states.  If your wife is a co-owner of the house then they could only sue for your half of the house.  Same goes for joint checking accounts, etc, only half would be at risk if you are being sued.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shua

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

The deed of the house will be in both of our names, just the mortgage will be in my name. So if C"V someone does sue me they could only sue for 1/2 the house. (I think at least).

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 02:31:34 PM »
Lots of good Q's.

1) A hard pull only makes your credit score dip a few points, 2) but the extra new debt might make a bigger difference in your score, But I dont know how many points.

Offline Shua

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:52:38 PM »
Just thought of something else. If I do put the infiniti in my wifes name (which I think I will do) and return my Accord a month early, will the fact that I close that account have a negative impact on my credit score?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »
No, it will have a positive impact as it's fully paid.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shua

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
But even though I paid it off won't it be better to show an open account that I am paying off on time every month?

Offline YudiG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 06:49:27 PM »
But even though I paid it off won't it be better to show an open account that I am paying off on time every month?

they can see how long it was open and how it was paid off every month and besides no debt is better than little debt being paid off

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 01:34:13 AM »
I would definitely not get the G37x before finalizing all papers pertaining to the mortgage. Not worth the risk.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline YudiG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 02:57:32 PM »
I would definitely not get the G37x before finalizing all papers pertaining to the mortgage. Not worth the risk.

true