Topic Wiki

Term insurance vs Whole life

Term insurance is the cheapest and simplest.  You pay a premium and  if chv”sh the insured person dies, the beneficiary gets the insurance amount. The higher the risk a person is, the higher the premium.  So people with worse health  will pay more than healthy people for the same amount of insurance, and older people will pay more than younger people.
Level term.  One popular type of term insurance has a level premium for a fixed number of years. Many people prefer this to the traditional type of term insurance where the premium each each year pays for coverage only in that year (and as a result the premiums increase every year, because you are aging). In contrast, a level premium term insurance policy has an unchanging premium amount that is guaranteed for a specific number of years. As a result of the design you are overpaying in the early years of the policy to subsidize your cost in the later years. Popular guarantee periods are 10, 20 or 30 years.  As with any insurance, it pays to get one while you are healthy to lock in the lowest rate possible (in general, health only declines, you rarely hear of people getting healthier with age).
Return of Premium (ROP) Level term. Same as level term, but with a higher premium. At the end of the level period (e.g. 20 years or 30 years) you get back all of your premiums. Your premium is buying you two things: Part pays for the term insurance, and the other part pays for the cash payment you can get if you are alive at the end and didn't miss any premium payments. If you are mathematically inclined you can calculate an IRR and decide if you see a value in doing this.

The policies below combine "investing" with insurance. As they are front-loaded with large fees and commissions, they typically lose money for a few years and then break even. These rarely make sense for lower to middle class families.
Whole life has a level premium that is guaranteed not to increase for as long as you live. Because of insurance laws in the US, this type of insurance policy must always have a "cash value", which is the amount of money you get back if you cancel the policy. That makes Whole Life a much more expensive choice relative to pure insurance coverage (where you'd get nothing back if you cancel) and therefore a bad choice for most people who are not rich (this is complicated to explain in great detail, but it is an effective summary of who is most likely to see good value in buying Whole Life). One fringe benefit of having a cash value in Whole Life is that you have saved money which can be used for your retirement or any other purpose if you are still alive.  For most people though, other savings vehicles will be better.
Universal life is very similar to whole life, in that it is meant to provide insurance coverage for as long as you live (as opposed to Term, which is meant to for a short to medium period of time). The most important difference is that the premium rates for Universal Life are not guaranteed, unlike Whole Life which is completely guaranteed. The concept behind Universal Life is that the insurance company tells you all the charges you are paying for and lets you pay as much or as little as you want for the coverage. Anything extra that you pay goes into an account that can earn interest, and as long as that account doesn't run out of money you stay insured.
Variable Life is an offshoot of Universal Life. The difference is that instead of the extra money going into an account that earns interest, you can choose to invest the extra money in mutual funds. Take my word as an expert in insurance that Variable Universal Life is only for the most investment oriented people (meaning that they barely care at all about the insurance part of the policy). If you are trying to decide on Term or Variable, the answer is always Term.

Choosing a company
Generally, the companies that focus on term insurance will have the best prices (i.e. rates) for term. Those companies are Banner, SBLI, AIG, etc. If you want to buy term, use a quote aggregator to get quotes from several companies at once. Here is one example of an aggregator (a good one!).
[No one here is getting a commission for this link]
http://www.term4sale.com/
https://www.accuquotelife.com/
https://www.matrixdirect.com/term-life-insurance#fv

If you are looking for Whole Life, Universal Life, or any other permanent product, you won't find quotes on aggregators- you will need to go to a company agent or an independent broker. A simple piece of advice for someone in this position is to get quotes from companies that focus on the product you want. For example, Whole Life is done best by mutual companies (e.g. New York Life, Guardian, Northwestern, Mass Mutual, Penn, Mutual of Omaha). Universal Life (and VUL) are the main products of public stock companies (e.g. Metlife, Prudential, etc.). Most big companies sell all the different types of products, but may not be competitive in price for all of them.

One ddf'er feels strongly that when choosing a company to buy Term from, a major factor is the what "conversion" rights the policy comes with. Conversion is a feature that entitles you to buy Whole Life or Universal Life at some point in the future (presumably when you have more money and can afford the higher priced plans) without being underwritten again - meaning you keep your rating no matter how your health may change. Conversion is certainly a valuable benefit if you anticipate needing permanent insurance at some point, and not all companies are created equal. When evaluating conversion features, you need to look at 1) how long does the conversion right last and 2) what product does the company let you convert to. Many companies offer liberal conversion rights but have bad permanent products, and you need to be educated enough to see through this and value it as a poor option.

Valuable tips for when you apply
Underwriting is the insurance company deciding which rating to give each applicant. They check health and driving record, but do not check credit rating. They can approve with their best rating, or pretty much offer whatever they want as each company has many rate classes.

Different companies can and do give different ratings to the exact same people. So if you don't like the rating one company offered, apply to a different company and maybe you'll be happier. Often, they can use the test results from the other company and you won't need to give blood a second time.

Do not eat for at least 12 hours before blood test. You can drink water.

Pregnant women can apply but most companies view blood work and weight as is. Translation: not wise to apply for life insurance while pregnant... do it before.

Shameless plug  :)
After you've done your own research, you could reach out to a broker to make the purchase. Remember to take advise from a broker with a grain of salt, since he is a salesman and your decision affects his income. Best to come prepared.
Henche's Broker, via ddf recommendation
Heshy Sheldon Breier. 
Worldwide Ins.
T:(718)253-9500
F:(718)252-3426
E:Sheldon@ww-ins.com

Author Topic: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance  (Read 137896 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2014, 12:30:00 AM »
Pray tell how to find an unbiased expert.
LI agents all want to sell you whole as they get much fatter commissions from that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2014, 12:41:48 AM »
Check the FWF insurance thread.  ;)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2014, 12:42:35 AM »
Check the FWF insurance thread.  ;)
BTDT, same problem :P
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2014, 12:48:10 AM »
BTDT, same problem :P
It has been some time since I checked that thread but if IIRC Insurance Expert seems to give some very knowledgeable unbiased advice.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2014, 01:17:54 AM »
It ain't unbiased.

Offline Let3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2014, 02:22:09 AM »
Based on my research and experience. A great way to go about life insurance is to buy your kids whole life Policies.
1) they are generally cheaper for example you can get a 250k policy for a kid for a grand a year. keep adding to that its only going to go up. Seems like a much better investment then a bond.  Also May make sens to put more money towards kids policies as the cash value will increase faster than an Adults. May make sense to buy term for oneself and put money they would have spent on a whole policy into money for their kids whole policy.  Just my opinion definitely speak with an expert
That's a interesting thought I've heard before, and I would like to get more info on this option...

But first back to newbie questions in wl-
1- if I get a mil wl for 8k a year (just throwing out numbers I've heard up thread) for 30 years- I spent 240k and they are guaranteed to pay out 1m eventually?? How is that worth it for them??

2- when ppl say they get a term that can be transformed into whole- Does that go for money already put into the plan? Or only for future?

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2014, 02:59:21 AM »
1- if I get a mil wl for 8k a year (just throwing out numbers I've heard up thread) for 30 years- I spent 240k and they are guaranteed to pay out 1m eventually?? How is that worth it for them??
I'll venture a guess or two:
A. they're counting on a significant number of people borrowing/ cashing it out early.
B. They holding (and investing) your money for many years.

Also, are you sure that's how it works, you pay for x years and you'r set for life? I may be mistaken but I think you still need to pay but once you get to that point the dividends cover the premium...

Offline Let3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2014, 03:58:21 AM »
I'll venture a guess or two:
A. they're counting on a significant number of people borrowing/ cashing it out early.
B. They holding (and investing) your money for many years.

Also, are you sure that's how it works, you pay for x years and you'r set for life? I may be mistaken but I think you still need to pay but once you get to that point the dividends cover the premium...
I don't know,
But I asked a few posts earlier and was gold can even be a one time payment...

Offline fc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2014, 06:14:06 AM »
Wl you pay for life, agents tend to say that after x amount of years it pays by itself through dividend but that's not guaranteed,I know many people paying already 20 -25yrs,and they cash value is not yet to the amount they have paid, charts are all bs, and even if you stop paying after x years, that doesn't mean you stop for ever, and once you stop ,and you have cash value that you hoped to take out and marry of your kids with, if you borrow against it #1 you will need to continue making payments and #2 your death benefit will go down because that's were you borrowing against... in other words there is no reason for having wl and paying 8k a year  if you can get term for cheaper

Offline fc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2014, 06:18:32 AM »
Why would you want to invest in life insurance for a rate of return(while life, part insurance post investment), if tomorrow Geico says pay 8k a year with us eventually you won't need to pay car insurance for ever and when you die we will write your family a check, would you invest with them? Ask any financial adviser that doesn't sell a product and only chargers you on the hour ($500), they will tell you to invest elsewhere, where the commission and fees aren't so big and rate of return is much much better.

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2014, 07:23:12 AM »

It has been some time since I checked that thread but if IIRC Insurance Expert seems to give some very knowledgeable unbiased advice.

I have used Insurance Expert to get Term and LTDI and found him to be totally straight forward and honest.

Every other broker tried to talk me into WL.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
Based on my research and experience. A great way to go about life insurance is to buy your kids whole life Policies.
1) they are generally cheaper for example you can get a 250k policy for a kid for a grand a year. keep adding to that its only going to go up. Seems like a much better investment then a bond.  Also May make sens to put more money towards kids policies as the cash value will increase faster than an Adults. May make sense to buy term for oneself and put money they would have spent on a whole policy into money for their kids whole policy.  Just my opinion definitely speak with an expert
This is not a way to go about life insurance. It's a way to go about investing, and not a great one at that.
That's a interesting thought I've heard before, and I would like to get more info on this option...

But first back to newbie questions in wl-

2- when ppl say they get a term that can be transformed into whole- Does that go for money already put into the plan? Or only for future?
The easiest way to explain the basics is to start with term. All other types of life insurance (all insurances really) contain the same basic premise as term together with more advanced concepts. That basic premise is the pooling of risk. Some people will die young, some people old. If you figure out on average how long each group of people (they can be grouped by age, gender, etc), you can figure out how much to charge to be reasonably certain of being able to pay out all death claims. Obviously the insurers also invest the money, and they build in profit margins as well.

As far as term conversions, generally speaking (maybe even in all cases - not 100% sure) you're starting fresh with the whole life (or other permanent type) policy. The advantage is that if you were assessed as being in the healthiest class of people when you bought the term policy, you'll get that same rating on the whole life policy, even if your health has declined. The option to convert term to whole life is essentially allowing you to maintain your better level of rates.
Wl you pay for life, agents tend to say that after x amount of years it pays by itself through dividend but that's not guaranteed,I know many people paying already 20 -25yrs,and they cash value is not yet to the amount they have paid, charts are all bs, and even if you stop paying after x years, that doesn't mean you stop for ever, and once you stop ,and you have cash value that you hoped to take out and marry of your kids with, if you borrow against it #1 you will need to continue making payments and #2 your death benefit will go down because that's were you borrowing against... in other words there is no reason for having wl and paying 8k a year  if you can get term for cheaper
There are policies that can be fully paid up (not dividend based), like New York Life's Custom Whole Life. But so everyone understands what we're talking about, for a 30 year old male in the top rating class, if you wanted to pay off the policy in 5 years (the minimum pay period) it would cost over $50k a year for a $1m policy.

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »
They are investing your money, they are doubling your money twice, I do not see what is so hard to understand.

Most big whole-life insurance have been around for a long time without defaulting, they obviously have got their figures worked out.

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2014, 10:27:35 AM »
They are investing your money, they are doubling your money twice, I do not see what is so hard to understand.

Most big whole-life insurance have been around for a long time without defaulting, they obviously have got their figures worked out.
LI agents all want to sell you whole as they get much fatter commissions from that.
Yep, most LI agents try pushing WL cuz that's where their money is. I found my broker very honest. (Obviously I wouldn't say he was unbiased)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »
And yet he got you to buy a convertible plan which costs more and leaves open the possibility of a big payday for him if you convert.

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2014, 10:56:29 AM »
And yet he got you to buy a convertible plan which costs more and leaves open the possibility of a big payday for him if you convert.
Actually the convertible was my choice, I requested it (costs only $3 or so more a month)

Offline SavingsBigtime

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »
do you go to the grocery ? do you know that the mark up is around 250% on the fruits and veg

When you buy a suit do you know that some of the suits that you pay over $200
cost less then $50 dollars to make and import but you still buy it right ?

Now you tell me 1 place that i could get a guaranteed death benefit even at age 120 years old  ? Thats right either WHOLE LIFE or UNIVERSAL LIFE . if you want a guaranteed death benefit this is what you got to do. if you want a salad you are going to buy the vegetables even that its marked up 250% if you want a guaranteed  death benefit this is what you got to do .

Nobody is forcing anybody to buy it . If i would have the money i would buy it , tell me one place that i leave money there for even 15 years after that i could take out more then 80 % and i still am guaranteed a death benefit, just for leaving the money there

YES I AGREE THERE ARE BETTER INVESTMENTS OUT THERE THAT GIVE YOU A BETTER RETURN , BUT YOU CAN ALSO LOOSE MONEY IN INVESTMENTS INCLUDING REAL ESTATE , THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO LIFE INSURANCE IS WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT AFTER 5 YEARS ??

so yes its not made for everybody , but if somebody is making $50,000 + a year to put away $150 a month for a guaranteed death benefit of around $200,000 even after you take out all your original benefit , still better then leaving it in Chase or TD and getting .05%   

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2014, 11:31:07 AM »
do you go to the grocery ? do you know that the mark up is around 250% on the fruits and veg

When you buy a suit do you know that some of the suits that you pay over $200
cost less then $50 dollars to make and import but you still buy it right ?

Now you tell me 1 place that i could get a guaranteed death benefit even at age 120 years old  ? Thats right either WHOLE LIFE or UNIVERSAL LIFE . if you want a guaranteed death benefit this is what you got to do. if you want a salad you are going to buy the vegetables even that its marked up 250% if you want a guaranteed  death benefit this is what you got to do .

Nobody is forcing anybody to buy it . If i would have the money i would buy it , tell me one place that i leave money there for even 15 years after that i could take out more then 80 % and i still am guaranteed a death benefit, just for leaving the money there

YES I AGREE THERE ARE BETTER INVESTMENTS OUT THERE THAT GIVE YOU A BETTER RETURN , BUT YOU CAN ALSO LOOSE MONEY IN INVESTMENTS INCLUDING REAL ESTATE , THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO LIFE INSURANCE IS WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT AFTER 5 YEARS ??

so yes its not made for everybody , but if somebody is making $50,000 + a year to put away $150 a month for a guaranteed death benefit of around $200,000 even after you take out all your original benefit , still better then leaving it in Chase or TD and getting .05%   
The point is not to need a death benefit at 120
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline SavingsBigtime

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
The point is not to need a death benefit at 120
people do want to leave something over for there wife/kids , at least some people feel like that .

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:07 AM »
people do want to leave something over for there wife/kids , at least some people feel like that .
Obviously, but you can do that without a death benefit ::)
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.