Topic Wiki

Term insurance vs Whole life

Term insurance is the cheapest and simplest.  You pay a premium and  if chv”sh the insured person dies, the beneficiary gets the insurance amount. The higher the risk a person is, the higher the premium.  So people with worse health  will pay more than healthy people for the same amount of insurance, and older people will pay more than younger people.
Level term.  One popular type of term insurance has a level premium for a fixed number of years. Many people prefer this to the traditional type of term insurance where the premium each each year pays for coverage only in that year (and as a result the premiums increase every year, because you are aging). In contrast, a level premium term insurance policy has an unchanging premium amount that is guaranteed for a specific number of years. As a result of the design you are overpaying in the early years of the policy to subsidize your cost in the later years. Popular guarantee periods are 10, 20 or 30 years.  As with any insurance, it pays to get one while you are healthy to lock in the lowest rate possible (in general, health only declines, you rarely hear of people getting healthier with age).
Return of Premium (ROP) Level term. Same as level term, but with a higher premium. At the end of the level period (e.g. 20 years or 30 years) you get back all of your premiums. Your premium is buying you two things: Part pays for the term insurance, and the other part pays for the cash payment you can get if you are alive at the end and didn't miss any premium payments. If you are mathematically inclined you can calculate an IRR and decide if you see a value in doing this.

The policies below combine "investing" with insurance. As they are front-loaded with large fees and commissions, they typically lose money for a few years and then break even. These rarely make sense for lower to middle class families.
Whole life has a level premium that is guaranteed not to increase for as long as you live. Because of insurance laws in the US, this type of insurance policy must always have a "cash value", which is the amount of money you get back if you cancel the policy. That makes Whole Life a much more expensive choice relative to pure insurance coverage (where you'd get nothing back if you cancel) and therefore a bad choice for most people who are not rich (this is complicated to explain in great detail, but it is an effective summary of who is most likely to see good value in buying Whole Life). One fringe benefit of having a cash value in Whole Life is that you have saved money which can be used for your retirement or any other purpose if you are still alive.  For most people though, other savings vehicles will be better.
Universal life is very similar to whole life, in that it is meant to provide insurance coverage for as long as you live (as opposed to Term, which is meant to for a short to medium period of time). The most important difference is that the premium rates for Universal Life are not guaranteed, unlike Whole Life which is completely guaranteed. The concept behind Universal Life is that the insurance company tells you all the charges you are paying for and lets you pay as much or as little as you want for the coverage. Anything extra that you pay goes into an account that can earn interest, and as long as that account doesn't run out of money you stay insured.
Variable Life is an offshoot of Universal Life. The difference is that instead of the extra money going into an account that earns interest, you can choose to invest the extra money in mutual funds. Take my word as an expert in insurance that Variable Universal Life is only for the most investment oriented people (meaning that they barely care at all about the insurance part of the policy). If you are trying to decide on Term or Variable, the answer is always Term.

Choosing a company
Generally, the companies that focus on term insurance will have the best prices (i.e. rates) for term. Those companies are Banner, SBLI, AIG, etc. If you want to buy term, use a quote aggregator to get quotes from several companies at once. Here is one example of an aggregator (a good one!).
[No one here is getting a commission for this link]
http://www.term4sale.com/
https://www.accuquotelife.com/
https://www.matrixdirect.com/term-life-insurance#fv

If you are looking for Whole Life, Universal Life, or any other permanent product, you won't find quotes on aggregators- you will need to go to a company agent or an independent broker. A simple piece of advice for someone in this position is to get quotes from companies that focus on the product you want. For example, Whole Life is done best by mutual companies (e.g. New York Life, Guardian, Northwestern, Mass Mutual, Penn, Mutual of Omaha). Universal Life (and VUL) are the main products of public stock companies (e.g. Metlife, Prudential, etc.). Most big companies sell all the different types of products, but may not be competitive in price for all of them.

One ddf'er feels strongly that when choosing a company to buy Term from, a major factor is the what "conversion" rights the policy comes with. Conversion is a feature that entitles you to buy Whole Life or Universal Life at some point in the future (presumably when you have more money and can afford the higher priced plans) without being underwritten again - meaning you keep your rating no matter how your health may change. Conversion is certainly a valuable benefit if you anticipate needing permanent insurance at some point, and not all companies are created equal. When evaluating conversion features, you need to look at 1) how long does the conversion right last and 2) what product does the company let you convert to. Many companies offer liberal conversion rights but have bad permanent products, and you need to be educated enough to see through this and value it as a poor option.

Valuable tips for when you apply
Underwriting is the insurance company deciding which rating to give each applicant. They check health and driving record, but do not check credit rating. They can approve with their best rating, or pretty much offer whatever they want as each company has many rate classes.

Different companies can and do give different ratings to the exact same people. So if you don't like the rating one company offered, apply to a different company and maybe you'll be happier. Often, they can use the test results from the other company and you won't need to give blood a second time.

Do not eat for at least 12 hours before blood test. You can drink water.

Pregnant women can apply but most companies view blood work and weight as is. Translation: not wise to apply for life insurance while pregnant... do it before.

Shameless plug  :)
After you've done your own research, you could reach out to a broker to make the purchase. Remember to take advise from a broker with a grain of salt, since he is a salesman and your decision affects his income. Best to come prepared.
Henche's Broker, via ddf recommendation
Heshy Sheldon Breier. 
Worldwide Ins.
T:(718)253-9500
F:(718)252-3426
E:Sheldon@ww-ins.com

Author Topic: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance  (Read 138088 times)

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Re: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 12:52:17 AM »
Ok so instead of 79 in my above quote its about 72 to reach the monetary benefit.

How much would it be once the 30 year term pays out (assuming I don't C'V have any specific diseases) over $10,000? If its under $10,000 then why wouldn't I take it out? According to the whole example I would be paying $8,000 a year now!
What I am saying is if you take out a 2nd term and live thru it all the money spent is lost, but with whole life it wont be lost.

For a 79 year old, term will be way over $10,000 a year

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 01:06:32 AM »
Lower risk investment. A forced savings + you could put in more than the monthly payment you have to, and will get interest on that.
Its tax deferred. You could borrow from it or against it. Many other living benefits over term.

I am not saying its the best investment option, but I am saying is there are living benefits that term doesn't have...
And I'm not saying its the worst investment out there . I said "as a really conservative forced investment it might make sense".

I then asked why a mildly educated investor would do it as one of his main investment. I believe most people who don't have more then a few K extra to put away each year should be educated about the rewards of taking a little more risk for much better tax free (not just deferred)returns.

That's why you must go in with open eyes and realize that the broker is making a huge commish on whole life and could very well be having his family in mind before yours.

Offline momo613

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 02:18:05 AM »
I'm in this sugya now as well. This post is perfect timing.
I personally have term for myself but I'm seriously considering buying whole life policies for my young kids. From what I'm being told by my agent, I can buy significant policies for my kids at a really cheap rate that will never go up for their lifetime. Its really long term thinking (my unborn grandchildrens inheritance), but it seems to be free money to them for next to nothing, especially considering inflation and the comparatively ultra low monthly payments for them in 40-50 yrs from now. Any thoughts?

Offline Q274

• View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 02:28:02 AM »
Seems to me like 99% will recommend whole life as they are very biased.
Hard to find an expert without any bias to truly explain the differences.
as i said earlier bades is an "expert" and i trust that he will be as honest as any non-broker would be-

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 08:55:55 AM »
I personally have term for myself but I'm seriously considering buying whole life policies for my young kids. From what I'm being told by my agent, I can buy significant policies for my kids at a really cheap rate that will never go up for their lifetime. Its really long term thinking (my unborn grandchildrens inheritance), but it seems to be free money to them for next to nothing, especially considering inflation and the comparatively ultra low monthly payments for them in 40-50 yrs from now. Any thoughts?
Look into universal life policys. They are kinda in between term and whole life.

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 09:04:59 AM »
I personally have term for myself but I'm seriously considering buying whole life policies for my young kids. From what I'm being told by my agent, I can buy significant policies for my kids at a really cheap rate that will never go up for their lifetime. Its really long term š
thinking (my unborn grandchildrens inheritance), but it seems to be free money to them for next to nothing, especially considering inflation and the comparatively ultra low monthly payments for them in 40-50 yrs from now. Any thoughts?
Compare it to historical returns of an investment in a conservative bond/stock portfolio. You will then be able to make a more informed decision based on your intellect not emotion. Good Luck with your decision

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »
And I'm not saying its the worst investment out there . I said "as a really conservative forced investment it might make sense".

I then asked why a mildly educated investor would do it as one of his main investment. I believe most people who don't have more then a few K extra to put away each year should be educated about the rewards of taking a little more risk for much better tax free (not just deferred)returns.

That's why you must go in with open eyes and realize that the broker is making a huge commish on whole life and could very well be having his family in mind before yours.
True. But the point I am bringing out is that Whole life is not just an investment with a return, it also has a lot of benefits ... (obviously you are paying for them)
Also not all people want to invest in a higher risk investment (if that's their only investment)

Offline bades

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
There are many schools of thought when it comes to Life insurance. If you ask 10 brokers you will get many different answers.  Personally my 2 cents, is that a person should have both.. forms of insurance.
 Without getting into too much detail i will list a few reasons
1 Term life in all likelihood wont be there in the event of death as most people live past 80, and the money goes in the garbage.
2 Whole life forces you to put $ aside, it serves as an investment tool, and last forever. and much more...
 I dont think the average yeshiva guy 25-30 years old needs 1mm of Whole life but its wise to have something 250k or so.. There are many more reasons to get Whole Life in addition to Term,
PM me with questions..

Offline bades

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 10:20:31 AM »
Thank you Q274 for your recommendation

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »
I guess my question is whether whole life (with 4% guaranteed returns and 5-6% av returns?) is really a worthwhile investment balancing the fact that you lose a big chunk due to agent commissions and fees but you gain because the gains and benefits are tax-free (is it really always tax-free or is my agent making stuff up?)

I know agents say term is throwing money away for 97% of people, but the same is true for every other insurance that we hope we never need to use but have it for that 3% chance we will, and yet nobody sells whole car or whole house insurance...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Cholentfresser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 10:56:36 AM »
I was just discussing this stuff with my brother, and I did a search on DDF and didn't find anything. I was about to start a thread like this one, and then Dan did it. Perfect timing. This is something that really interests me.
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »
True. But the point I am bringing out is that Whole life is not just an investment with a return, it also has a lot of benefits ... (obviously you are paying for them)
Also not all people want to invest in a higher risk investment (if that's their only investment)
You could say that again

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »
Bades brought up a good point - that not necessarily if you want a 1MM policy to get all of it in whole life.

There are Term policys that could be converted to whole life. I happen to think this is a good option, as 97% of people will outlive their term, so when it comes time to renew, their rates would go up a lot, especially everyone medical condition changes, and someone that gets the best rate at the age of 25 by the time they are 55 or 65 likely they won't be in the best medical condition for their age (that's just how it is).

Also over the years of your term you could switch parts of your policy over to whole life, so aren't making the full commitment of whole life a the time of signing, but you are open to that option.

Offline bades

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 11:28:40 AM »
I guess my question is whether whole life (with 4% guaranteed returns and 5-6% av returns?) is really a worthwhile investment balancing the fact that you lose a big chunk due to agent commissions and fees but you gain because the gains and benefits are tax-free (is it really always tax-free or is my agent making stuff up?)

I know agents say term is throwing money away for 97% of people, but the same is true for every other insurance that we hope we never need to use but have it for that 3% chance we will, and yet nobody sells whole car or whole house insurance...

many people invest in stocks, bonds etc. and have lost a large percentage of the money invested. In this case there is a guaranteed option where you know that in X years you will have X amount of $$ \. Generally it takes 10 years or so for the amount of $ you put in to have the same amount in CASH value that you can PULL OUT at anytime.. after 10 years it grows at a much faster pace. this $$ can be used for college savings, making a SImcha etc....... I know many people who were able to pay for Family Simchas because they had a Whole Life policy
Whole Life should NOT be your only investment,
I can help anyone in all 50 states let me know if i can be of assistance 

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »
There are many schools of thought when it comes to Life insurance. If you ask 10 brokers you will get many different answers.  Personally my 2 cents, is that a person should have both.. forms of insurance.
 Without getting into too much detail i will list a few reasons
1 Term life in all likelihood wont be there in the event of death as most people live past 80, and the money goes in the garbage.
2 Whole life forces you to put $ aside, it serves as an investment tool, and last forever. and much more...
 I dont think the average yeshiva guy 25-30 years old needs 1mm of Whole life but its wise to have something 250k or so.. There are many more reasons to get Whole Life in addition to Term,
PM me with questions..
1) So what. Thats what insurance means , paying for something to be covered in case something goes wrong. As Dan said you dont have whole car etc.

2) Valid point , people should be much more disciplined and go with a more prudent investment and force himself to stay the course ,but history has proven otherwise

re: your last point . That should never come @ the expense of having the appropriate amount of coverage and last time I checked it cost a few million to raise and marry off kids these days . Make sure you have plenty of coverage before you decide on how much Whole Life you want

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 11:33:07 AM »

Its tax deferred if you use it to make Chasuna etc. Its tax free if your children inherit it. Some Brokers forget to point that out .

There are ways of pulling out money tax free through borrowing against your policy. While its true , IMHO it sounds much rosier when a broker explains it then it actually is .

Offline bades

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 11:34:50 AM »
money can be pulled out Tax free...

Offline Q274

• View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »
Thank you Q274 for your recommendation
and now i am waiting for yours in return :-p

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 11:07:37 PM »
anyone use "araviem" as their insurance?
Here is a nice article:
www.rabbihorowitz.com/PYes/ArticleDetails.cfm?Book_ID=1310&ThisGroup_ID=262&Type=Article

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »
@bades. Do you not deal with VUL at all? I'm surprised to not have seen it mentioned at all in this thread.