Topic Wiki

Term insurance vs Whole life

Term insurance is the cheapest and simplest.  You pay a premium and  if chv”sh the insured person dies, the beneficiary gets the insurance amount. The higher the risk a person is, the higher the premium.  So people with worse health  will pay more than healthy people for the same amount of insurance, and older people will pay more than younger people.
Level term.  One popular type of term insurance has a level premium for a fixed number of years. Many people prefer this to the traditional type of term insurance where the premium each each year pays for coverage only in that year (and as a result the premiums increase every year, because you are aging). In contrast, a level premium term insurance policy has an unchanging premium amount that is guaranteed for a specific number of years. As a result of the design you are overpaying in the early years of the policy to subsidize your cost in the later years. Popular guarantee periods are 10, 20 or 30 years.  As with any insurance, it pays to get one while you are healthy to lock in the lowest rate possible (in general, health only declines, you rarely hear of people getting healthier with age).
Return of Premium (ROP) Level term. Same as level term, but with a higher premium. At the end of the level period (e.g. 20 years or 30 years) you get back all of your premiums. Your premium is buying you two things: Part pays for the term insurance, and the other part pays for the cash payment you can get if you are alive at the end and didn't miss any premium payments. If you are mathematically inclined you can calculate an IRR and decide if you see a value in doing this.

The policies below combine "investing" with insurance. As they are front-loaded with large fees and commissions, they typically lose money for a few years and then break even. These rarely make sense for lower to middle class families.
Whole life has a level premium that is guaranteed not to increase for as long as you live. Because of insurance laws in the US, this type of insurance policy must always have a "cash value", which is the amount of money you get back if you cancel the policy. That makes Whole Life a much more expensive choice relative to pure insurance coverage (where you'd get nothing back if you cancel) and therefore a bad choice for most people who are not rich (this is complicated to explain in great detail, but it is an effective summary of who is most likely to see good value in buying Whole Life). One fringe benefit of having a cash value in Whole Life is that you have saved money which can be used for your retirement or any other purpose if you are still alive.  For most people though, other savings vehicles will be better.
Universal life is very similar to whole life, in that it is meant to provide insurance coverage for as long as you live (as opposed to Term, which is meant to for a short to medium period of time). The most important difference is that the premium rates for Universal Life are not guaranteed, unlike Whole Life which is completely guaranteed. The concept behind Universal Life is that the insurance company tells you all the charges you are paying for and lets you pay as much or as little as you want for the coverage. Anything extra that you pay goes into an account that can earn interest, and as long as that account doesn't run out of money you stay insured.
Variable Life is an offshoot of Universal Life. The difference is that instead of the extra money going into an account that earns interest, you can choose to invest the extra money in mutual funds. Take my word as an expert in insurance that Variable Universal Life is only for the most investment oriented people (meaning that they barely care at all about the insurance part of the policy). If you are trying to decide on Term or Variable, the answer is always Term.

Choosing a company
Generally, the companies that focus on term insurance will have the best prices (i.e. rates) for term. Those companies are Banner, SBLI, AIG, etc. If you want to buy term, use a quote aggregator to get quotes from several companies at once. Here is one example of an aggregator (a good one!).
[No one here is getting a commission for this link]
http://www.term4sale.com/
https://www.accuquotelife.com/
https://www.matrixdirect.com/term-life-insurance#fv

If you are looking for Whole Life, Universal Life, or any other permanent product, you won't find quotes on aggregators- you will need to go to a company agent or an independent broker. A simple piece of advice for someone in this position is to get quotes from companies that focus on the product you want. For example, Whole Life is done best by mutual companies (e.g. New York Life, Guardian, Northwestern, Mass Mutual, Penn, Mutual of Omaha). Universal Life (and VUL) are the main products of public stock companies (e.g. Metlife, Prudential, etc.). Most big companies sell all the different types of products, but may not be competitive in price for all of them.

One ddf'er feels strongly that when choosing a company to buy Term from, a major factor is the what "conversion" rights the policy comes with. Conversion is a feature that entitles you to buy Whole Life or Universal Life at some point in the future (presumably when you have more money and can afford the higher priced plans) without being underwritten again - meaning you keep your rating no matter how your health may change. Conversion is certainly a valuable benefit if you anticipate needing permanent insurance at some point, and not all companies are created equal. When evaluating conversion features, you need to look at 1) how long does the conversion right last and 2) what product does the company let you convert to. Many companies offer liberal conversion rights but have bad permanent products, and you need to be educated enough to see through this and value it as a poor option.

Valuable tips for when you apply
Underwriting is the insurance company deciding which rating to give each applicant. They check health and driving record, but do not check credit rating. They can approve with their best rating, or pretty much offer whatever they want as each company has many rate classes.

Different companies can and do give different ratings to the exact same people. So if you don't like the rating one company offered, apply to a different company and maybe you'll be happier. Often, they can use the test results from the other company and you won't need to give blood a second time.

Do not eat for at least 12 hours before blood test. You can drink water.

Pregnant women can apply but most companies view blood work and weight as is. Translation: not wise to apply for life insurance while pregnant... do it before.

Shameless plug  :)
After you've done your own research, you could reach out to a broker to make the purchase. Remember to take advise from a broker with a grain of salt, since he is a salesman and your decision affects his income. Best to come prepared.
Henche's Broker, via ddf recommendation
Heshy Sheldon Breier. 
Worldwide Ins.
T:(718)253-9500
F:(718)252-3426
E:Sheldon@ww-ins.com

Author Topic: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance  (Read 138126 times)

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance
« Reply #400 on: November 05, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »
So there is no way to properly insure my family? After graduation i will likely be making far greater than 40k

It depends what profession. If your career path is likely to lead to making 100k in a few years, but you start low while you are gaining experience, then I would think most companies would take that into consideration.

Kollel guys have this problem- the income driven algorithms that companies use to limit face amount eligibility just doesn't capture the cost of the change in lifestyle that the loss of even a non-breadwinning parent can cause. There is a certain influential agent with Metlife who managed to work out a group life insurance plan for BMG that allowed yungerleit to get insured for higher amounts than they would otherwise have qualified for (and at fantastic premium rates). Short of that kind of pretekzia, I'm not sure what you can do.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 05, 2014, 10:40:13 AM »
It depends what profession. If your career path is likely to lead to making 100k in a few years, but you start low while you are gaining experience, then I would think most companies would take that into consideration.
But NY life didn't.

Who would?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:43:28 AM by Mocha »

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 05, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »
But NY life didn't.

Who would?
From the NYL Pocket Udnerwriting Guide:
Income Replacement Guidelines Income replacement is simply intended to replace the earnings of the insured, should he or she die prematurely. Generally, only earned income should be used in determining the amount of insurance needed. If unearned income stops upon the death of the insured, then it too should be used in determining the replacement income. If the
unearned income, such as that from investments, continues upon the death of the insured, then it should not be taken into consideration in determining the amount of insurance.

When evaluating a prospective client’s financial situation, the underwriter considers many factors, such as earned income, unearned income, net worth, occupation, age, and future income potential. The chart below is a guide:

Age Income Replacement Factors
0   - 40   30x
41 - 45   25x
46 - 55   20x
56 - 60   15x
61 - 65   10x
66 +       5x
I bolded the relevant part. I would go back to the agent and explain the situation (if you haven't already), and ask that he re-submit your application with a cover letter explaining the reason for the high coverage amount relative to current income.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to go with NYL?

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 05, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »
I would go back to the agent and explain the situation (if you haven't already), and ask that he re-submit your application with a cover letter explaining the reason for the high coverage amount rel
Just heard they have a good rep.

Offline Barryg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 05, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
From the NYL Pocket Udnerwriting Guide:I bolded the relevant part. I would go back to the agent and explain the situation (if you haven't already), and ask that he re-submit your application with a cover letter explaining the reason for the high coverage amount relative to current income.

NY life allows conversion to whole life and in a 10 year term, there would be cheaper companies, but one wouldn't save that much. The extra few dollars per year would be worth it. <--- IMHO (I am not affiliated with NYL btw)

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 05, 2014, 12:01:36 PM »
NY life allows conversion to whole life and in a 10 year term, there would be cheaper companies, but one wouldn't save that much. The extra few dollars per year would be worth it. <--- IMHO (I am not affiliated with NYL btw)
I am though ;D, and I would say to Mocha, do a little more research before deciding a NYL policy is appropriate. I personally bought policies for myself and my wife with another insurer.

Mocha is looking at 15/20 year term, you can give your 10/30 split speech if you want, but I'll stick to Mocha's parameters. For a 25 year old male, best health rating, $1m in 15 year term will run you $480/yr with NYL and $300/yr with Met (I just picked the lowest quote on Term4Sale.com). That's a little more than a few dollars. So it really becomes a question of whether the financial ratings difference, and the ability to convert to a dividend-paying WL policy (Met's is convertible too, but obviously the permanent products you can convert too are not an apples to apples comparison to NYL's permanent products) is necessary and/or worth the cost.

Offline Barryg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 05, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »
I am though ;D, and I would say to Mocha, do a little more research before deciding a NYL policy is appropriate. I personally bought policies for myself and my wife with another insurer.

Mocha is looking at 15/20 year term, you can give your 10/30 split speech if you want, but I'll stick to Mocha's parameters. For a 25 year old male, best health rating, $1m in 15 year term will run you $480/yr with NYL and $300/yr with Met (I just picked the lowest quote on Term4Sale.com). That's a little more than a few dollars. So it really becomes a question of whether the financial ratings difference, and the ability to convert to a dividend-paying WL policy (Met's is convertible too, but obviously the permanent products you can convert too are not an apples to apples comparison to NYL's permanent products) is necessary and/or worth the cost.
Personally was never into 15/20 year terms. Neither here nor there. What will change in 20 years that he won't need coverage anymore...

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 05, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »
agent trying to sell me on term 80
i think its probably a waste of money. am i wrong?  im in my 20s, i dont need that much coverage when im 80. whats the response to that?

waiver on premium-worthwhile, or just a ploy to get you nervous and to pay for that nervousness?

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 05, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
i think its probably a waste of money. am i wrong?  im in my 20s, i dont need that much coverage when im 80. whats the response to that?

waiver on premium-worthwhile, or just a ploy to get you nervous and to pay for that nervousness?
Be more specific regarding what he is trying to sell you.

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 05, 2014, 03:18:10 PM »
Be more specific regarding what he is trying to sell you.
i want to buy a 20 year term
he is telling me to strongly consider a waiver on premium in the event of disability
also telling me about term 80 which covers me until im 80

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 05, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
he is telling me to strongly consider a waiver on premium in the event of disability
Don't know your situation but Waiver of premium is close to a must and term till 80 wouldn't make sense only if its very cheap compared to the other companies.   

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 05, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »
IMO, the concept of WP is very important. If the policyholder becomes disabled, they're a lot more likely to die, and therefore their life insurance becomes much more valuable than it was before they became disabled. The only way to maintain the value in the policy is to keep paying the premiums. But if they're disabled they probably can't work anymore (not to mention new bills and costs that a healthy person doesn't have) and will have a much harder time paying the insurance premiums.

Having said that, if you also have disability insurance and you feel the income you'd receive from it would suffice, I can see the WP becoming unnecessary.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 05, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »
Which specific company and product are we talking about here? Northwestern?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:30:31 PM by skyguy918 »

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 05, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
Which specific company and product are we talking about here? Northwestern?
why do you say NW?

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 05, 2014, 03:44:45 PM »
why do you say NW?

That's not a very nice way to respond to someone who is helping you out.

Still not clear on whether this "term to 80" is actual term or a ULNLG plan a la John Hancock. But I think in general having term insurance until age 80 is not an optimal product. You could do better either on price or in value with something else.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 05, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »
why do you say NW?
Because they have such a product  :P

If it is Northwestern, the premiums are only level for the first 5 years. Low as those initial premiums may be, the longer you keep the policy the less worthwhile it'll have been. If you expect to need term insurance till you're 80, you'll basically always come out on top buying 30yr term.

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 05, 2014, 03:50:37 PM »

If it is Northwestern, the premiums are only level for the first 5 years. Low as those initial premiums may be, the longer you keep the policy the less worthwhile it'll have been. If you expect to need term insurance till you're 80, you'll basically always come out on top buying 30yr term.
well i dont expect to need coverage until 80

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 05, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »

I guess I just assume that he is from NY and therefore can't have that product. NY Standards do not allow level term plans past age 70.

Offline Twin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 05, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »

Seems like your looking for someone that really knows his stuff, if you want I can hook you up with someone that has walked me thru this maze.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 05, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »
well i dont expect to need coverage until 80
Okay, how many years do you expect to need coverage, and what product/company is this agent trying to sell you?

I guess I just assume that he is from NY and therefore can't have that product. NY Standards do not allow level term plans past age 70.
That was my first reaction too, but he doesn't have a location listed next to him. Then I checked the last few posts and see that he is indeed from NY.

Seems like your looking for someone that really knows his stuff, if you want I can hook you up with someone that has walked me thru this maze.
Hey! What are we, chopped meat?  ;D