Topic Wiki

Term insurance vs Whole life

Term insurance is the cheapest and simplest.  You pay a premium and  if chv”sh the insured person dies, the beneficiary gets the insurance amount. The higher the risk a person is, the higher the premium.  So people with worse health  will pay more than healthy people for the same amount of insurance, and older people will pay more than younger people.
Level term.  One popular type of term insurance has a level premium for a fixed number of years. Many people prefer this to the traditional type of term insurance where the premium each each year pays for coverage only in that year (and as a result the premiums increase every year, because you are aging). In contrast, a level premium term insurance policy has an unchanging premium amount that is guaranteed for a specific number of years. As a result of the design you are overpaying in the early years of the policy to subsidize your cost in the later years. Popular guarantee periods are 10, 20 or 30 years.  As with any insurance, it pays to get one while you are healthy to lock in the lowest rate possible (in general, health only declines, you rarely hear of people getting healthier with age).
Return of Premium (ROP) Level term. Same as level term, but with a higher premium. At the end of the level period (e.g. 20 years or 30 years) you get back all of your premiums. Your premium is buying you two things: Part pays for the term insurance, and the other part pays for the cash payment you can get if you are alive at the end and didn't miss any premium payments. If you are mathematically inclined you can calculate an IRR and decide if you see a value in doing this.

The policies below combine "investing" with insurance. As they are front-loaded with large fees and commissions, they typically lose money for a few years and then break even. These rarely make sense for lower to middle class families.
Whole life has a level premium that is guaranteed not to increase for as long as you live. Because of insurance laws in the US, this type of insurance policy must always have a "cash value", which is the amount of money you get back if you cancel the policy. That makes Whole Life a much more expensive choice relative to pure insurance coverage (where you'd get nothing back if you cancel) and therefore a bad choice for most people who are not rich (this is complicated to explain in great detail, but it is an effective summary of who is most likely to see good value in buying Whole Life). One fringe benefit of having a cash value in Whole Life is that you have saved money which can be used for your retirement or any other purpose if you are still alive.  For most people though, other savings vehicles will be better.
Universal life is very similar to whole life, in that it is meant to provide insurance coverage for as long as you live (as opposed to Term, which is meant to for a short to medium period of time). The most important difference is that the premium rates for Universal Life are not guaranteed, unlike Whole Life which is completely guaranteed. The concept behind Universal Life is that the insurance company tells you all the charges you are paying for and lets you pay as much or as little as you want for the coverage. Anything extra that you pay goes into an account that can earn interest, and as long as that account doesn't run out of money you stay insured.
Variable Life is an offshoot of Universal Life. The difference is that instead of the extra money going into an account that earns interest, you can choose to invest the extra money in mutual funds. Take my word as an expert in insurance that Variable Universal Life is only for the most investment oriented people (meaning that they barely care at all about the insurance part of the policy). If you are trying to decide on Term or Variable, the answer is always Term.

Choosing a company
Generally, the companies that focus on term insurance will have the best prices (i.e. rates) for term. Those companies are Banner, SBLI, AIG, etc. If you want to buy term, use a quote aggregator to get quotes from several companies at once. Here is one example of an aggregator (a good one!).
[No one here is getting a commission for this link]
http://www.term4sale.com/
https://www.accuquotelife.com/
https://www.matrixdirect.com/term-life-insurance#fv

If you are looking for Whole Life, Universal Life, or any other permanent product, you won't find quotes on aggregators- you will need to go to a company agent or an independent broker. A simple piece of advice for someone in this position is to get quotes from companies that focus on the product you want. For example, Whole Life is done best by mutual companies (e.g. New York Life, Guardian, Northwestern, Mass Mutual, Penn, Mutual of Omaha). Universal Life (and VUL) are the main products of public stock companies (e.g. Metlife, Prudential, etc.). Most big companies sell all the different types of products, but may not be competitive in price for all of them.

One ddf'er feels strongly that when choosing a company to buy Term from, a major factor is the what "conversion" rights the policy comes with. Conversion is a feature that entitles you to buy Whole Life or Universal Life at some point in the future (presumably when you have more money and can afford the higher priced plans) without being underwritten again - meaning you keep your rating no matter how your health may change. Conversion is certainly a valuable benefit if you anticipate needing permanent insurance at some point, and not all companies are created equal. When evaluating conversion features, you need to look at 1) how long does the conversion right last and 2) what product does the company let you convert to. Many companies offer liberal conversion rights but have bad permanent products, and you need to be educated enough to see through this and value it as a poor option.

Valuable tips for when you apply
Underwriting is the insurance company deciding which rating to give each applicant. They check health and driving record, but do not check credit rating. They can approve with their best rating, or pretty much offer whatever they want as each company has many rate classes.

Different companies can and do give different ratings to the exact same people. So if you don't like the rating one company offered, apply to a different company and maybe you'll be happier. Often, they can use the test results from the other company and you won't need to give blood a second time.

Do not eat for at least 12 hours before blood test. You can drink water.

Pregnant women can apply but most companies view blood work and weight as is. Translation: not wise to apply for life insurance while pregnant... do it before.

Shameless plug  :)
After you've done your own research, you could reach out to a broker to make the purchase. Remember to take advise from a broker with a grain of salt, since he is a salesman and your decision affects his income. Best to come prepared.
Henche's Broker, via ddf recommendation
Heshy Sheldon Breier. 
Worldwide Ins.
T:(718)253-9500
F:(718)252-3426
E:Sheldon@ww-ins.com

Author Topic: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance  (Read 138149 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance
« Reply #420 on: November 05, 2014, 04:09:59 PM »
Same thing why you can't insure  your house for 5M if it's only worth 1M.

There are other reasons why you can't insure your house for much more than its worth

Offline DMYD

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 05, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »
There are other reasons why you can't insure your house for much more than its worth
I am sure there is but same idea here.

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 05, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »
Okay, how many years do you expect to need coverage, and what product/company is this agent trying to sell you?
i am looking for 20 year term, as im in my 20s
he was showing me term80 which i think is a waste of money

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 05, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »
Even without knowing more information (do you not want to say or you just don't know?), I'm pretty comfortable saying stick with a 20 or 30 year level term policy.

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 05, 2014, 05:49:58 PM »
Hey! What are we, chopped meat?  ;D

I am fine with being chopped meat. I expect that most people tend to listen to whoever is loudest and pushiest whether or not they are the most knowledgeable or impartial. I provide my opinion only to assuage my conscience - pure selfishness 8)

Offline Twin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 05, 2014, 06:17:33 PM »

Hey! What are we, chopped meat?  ;D
Sorry didn't mean to hurt your feelings was trying to be helpful to op, seems like he can use a meeting with someone who knows this stuff.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 05, 2014, 06:57:18 PM »

I hope he was also showing you what you asked for. otherwise find a new agent imo.

Offline Barryg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 06, 2014, 12:35:19 AM »
Which specific company and product are we talking about here? Northwestern?
Because they have such a product  :P

If it is Northwestern, the premiums are only level for the first 5 years. Low as those initial premiums may be, the longer you keep the policy the less worthwhile it'll have been. If you expect to need term insurance till you're 80, you'll basically always come out on top buying 30yr term.
+1
An ART or 5 year term is very similar to a 10 year term. Calling it term till 80 is kind of misrepresenting the product, it makes it seem better than a 30 year term. In reality, the pricing for first 10 years is low, but after 30 years and especially close to age 80 it will be really high. They don't even tell you exactly how much it will be - there's a guaranteed price and a hypothetical price... By the way, there is nothing wrong with 10 year term, ART or term80, just know what you're getting...

Offline Barryg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 06, 2014, 12:37:26 AM »

I am reposting this Q since I didn't get an answer last time - when directed at someone else...
What will change in 20 years as far as need for coverage?
Why does being in 20's say you should get 20 year term?

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 06, 2014, 09:37:41 AM »
I am reposting this Q since I didn't get an answer last time - when directed at someone else...
What will change in 20 years as far as need for coverage?
Why does being in 20's say you should get 20 year term?
well in 20 years, there is much less of a mortgage, much less tuition ahead of you, etc.

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 06, 2014, 10:24:19 AM »
well in 20 years, there is much less of a mortgage, much less tuition ahead of you, etc.
Think about it this way, 20 years ago for 250K you could have bought a house with almost no mortgage, but now? even for a down-payment its almost not enough. cost of living is only going up, you may need more in 20 years. 

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 06, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »
Think about it this way, 20 years ago for 250K you could have bought a house with almost no mortgage, but now? even for a down-payment its almost not enough. cost of living is only going up, you may need more in 20 years.
First of all, if you're buying a house now, inflation of housing costs in 20 years is not relevant. If anything it puts your family in a more financially secure position because your house is worth more. And second of all, while other costs of living go up as well, over 20 years you hopefully have accumulated savings as well, including retirement savings.

I'm not saying don't buy 30 year, or that people never need insurance past 50 (or whatever age). I'm just saying it's not the end of the world to buy a shorter term and re-evaluate your situation at the end of that term - something you should be doing more frequently anyway. Could be in 20 years you'll need insurance, but less than you have now (or none, or more, etc).

Obviously buying 20 affords you a little less insurability protection because if you become less healthy within the first 20 years, you only get to continue paying your lower, better health rated premiums till the end of the 20 years, as opposed to till the end of the 30 years if you'd bought 30 year term. But you're paying for that benefit as well. Relative to each other, buying 30 year vs 20 year is actually a 'bet' that your health will worsen within 20 years.

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 06, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
The point of life insurance is to leave money for your dependents. If in 20 years your dependents will be more independent than not then you have no need for pure insurance coverage (and if you had whole life or the like instead of term then that might be when you'd start being mainly interested in the cash value benefits of the policy). It's not your current age that matters for this question, it's your childrens'. If your youngest child will be capable of earning a living without you 20 years from now, and presumably your spouse could also as long as there are no children keeping him/her home, then 20 year term is perfect for you.

Problem is for most frum people, in 20 years only the oldest couple of children will be out of the house. The 30 year might do it, but  the relative prices (20 year vs. 30 year vs. permanent) are a big factor.

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 06, 2014, 12:06:06 PM »
The point of life insurance is to leave money for your dependents. If in 20 years your dependents will be more independent than not then you have no need for pure insurance coverage (and if you had whole life or the like instead of term then that might be when you'd start being mainly interested in the cash value benefits of the policy). It's not your current age that matters for this question, it's your childrens'. If your youngest child will be capable of earning a living without you 20 years from now, and presumably your spouse could also as long as there are no children keeping him/her home, then 20 year term is perfect for you.

Problem is for most frum people, in 20 years only the oldest couple of children will be out of the house. The 30 year might do it, but  the relative prices (20 year vs. 30 year vs. permanent) are a big factor.
So your saying that when someone buys a 30 year term when he is in his low 20 that will expire when he is in his low 50? how many people do you know that are in the low 50 that don't have any kids at home? and lets say there are no kids at home, whats with the spouse? she isn't worth letting over some insurance for her, if her spouse dies?   

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #434 on: November 06, 2014, 12:09:59 PM »
and lets say there are no kids at home, whats with the spouse? she isn't worth letting over some insurance for her, if her spouse dies?   

To each their own and this may not work for everyone, but...

She could work if there aren't little ones to worry about. It's the same reason I wouldn't insure my life for her before having kids.

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 06, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »

She could work if there aren't little ones to worry about. It's the same reason I wouldn't insure my life for her before having kids.
thats because maybe she is in her 20s
if ch"v something happens, do you want your 55 year old wife to need to go back to work to get by?

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #436 on: November 06, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »
thats because maybe she is in her 20s
if ch"v something happens, do you want your 55 year old wife to need to go back to work to get by?

Yes.

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 06, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »

before your correct but how many people are going to hire a 50 year old lady to work for them if they can get a 20 year old, and go tell an older lady to go find a job after not working for 20+ years.

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 06, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
Yes.
Ok so tell her that before hand that I am going to have life insurance only till there are kids at home, but If I die after that go find a job.

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 06, 2014, 12:16:02 PM »