Topic Wiki

Term insurance vs Whole life

Term insurance is the cheapest and simplest.  You pay a premium and  if chv”sh the insured person dies, the beneficiary gets the insurance amount. The higher the risk a person is, the higher the premium.  So people with worse health  will pay more than healthy people for the same amount of insurance, and older people will pay more than younger people.
Level term.  One popular type of term insurance has a level premium for a fixed number of years. Many people prefer this to the traditional type of term insurance where the premium each each year pays for coverage only in that year (and as a result the premiums increase every year, because you are aging). In contrast, a level premium term insurance policy has an unchanging premium amount that is guaranteed for a specific number of years. As a result of the design you are overpaying in the early years of the policy to subsidize your cost in the later years. Popular guarantee periods are 10, 20 or 30 years.  As with any insurance, it pays to get one while you are healthy to lock in the lowest rate possible (in general, health only declines, you rarely hear of people getting healthier with age).
Return of Premium (ROP) Level term. Same as level term, but with a higher premium. At the end of the level period (e.g. 20 years or 30 years) you get back all of your premiums. Your premium is buying you two things: Part pays for the term insurance, and the other part pays for the cash payment you can get if you are alive at the end and didn't miss any premium payments. If you are mathematically inclined you can calculate an IRR and decide if you see a value in doing this.

The policies below combine "investing" with insurance. As they are front-loaded with large fees and commissions, they typically lose money for a few years and then break even. These rarely make sense for lower to middle class families.
Whole life has a level premium that is guaranteed not to increase for as long as you live. Because of insurance laws in the US, this type of insurance policy must always have a "cash value", which is the amount of money you get back if you cancel the policy. That makes Whole Life a much more expensive choice relative to pure insurance coverage (where you'd get nothing back if you cancel) and therefore a bad choice for most people who are not rich (this is complicated to explain in great detail, but it is an effective summary of who is most likely to see good value in buying Whole Life). One fringe benefit of having a cash value in Whole Life is that you have saved money which can be used for your retirement or any other purpose if you are still alive.  For most people though, other savings vehicles will be better.
Universal life is very similar to whole life, in that it is meant to provide insurance coverage for as long as you live (as opposed to Term, which is meant to for a short to medium period of time). The most important difference is that the premium rates for Universal Life are not guaranteed, unlike Whole Life which is completely guaranteed. The concept behind Universal Life is that the insurance company tells you all the charges you are paying for and lets you pay as much or as little as you want for the coverage. Anything extra that you pay goes into an account that can earn interest, and as long as that account doesn't run out of money you stay insured.
Variable Life is an offshoot of Universal Life. The difference is that instead of the extra money going into an account that earns interest, you can choose to invest the extra money in mutual funds. Take my word as an expert in insurance that Variable Universal Life is only for the most investment oriented people (meaning that they barely care at all about the insurance part of the policy). If you are trying to decide on Term or Variable, the answer is always Term.

Choosing a company
Generally, the companies that focus on term insurance will have the best prices (i.e. rates) for term. Those companies are Banner, SBLI, AIG, etc. If you want to buy term, use a quote aggregator to get quotes from several companies at once. Here is one example of an aggregator (a good one!).
[No one here is getting a commission for this link]
http://www.term4sale.com/
https://www.accuquotelife.com/
https://www.matrixdirect.com/term-life-insurance#fv

If you are looking for Whole Life, Universal Life, or any other permanent product, you won't find quotes on aggregators- you will need to go to a company agent or an independent broker. A simple piece of advice for someone in this position is to get quotes from companies that focus on the product you want. For example, Whole Life is done best by mutual companies (e.g. New York Life, Guardian, Northwestern, Mass Mutual, Penn, Mutual of Omaha). Universal Life (and VUL) are the main products of public stock companies (e.g. Metlife, Prudential, etc.). Most big companies sell all the different types of products, but may not be competitive in price for all of them.

One ddf'er feels strongly that when choosing a company to buy Term from, a major factor is the what "conversion" rights the policy comes with. Conversion is a feature that entitles you to buy Whole Life or Universal Life at some point in the future (presumably when you have more money and can afford the higher priced plans) without being underwritten again - meaning you keep your rating no matter how your health may change. Conversion is certainly a valuable benefit if you anticipate needing permanent insurance at some point, and not all companies are created equal. When evaluating conversion features, you need to look at 1) how long does the conversion right last and 2) what product does the company let you convert to. Many companies offer liberal conversion rights but have bad permanent products, and you need to be educated enough to see through this and value it as a poor option.

Valuable tips for when you apply
Underwriting is the insurance company deciding which rating to give each applicant. They check health and driving record, but do not check credit rating. They can approve with their best rating, or pretty much offer whatever they want as each company has many rate classes.

Different companies can and do give different ratings to the exact same people. So if you don't like the rating one company offered, apply to a different company and maybe you'll be happier. Often, they can use the test results from the other company and you won't need to give blood a second time.

Do not eat for at least 12 hours before blood test. You can drink water.

Pregnant women can apply but most companies view blood work and weight as is. Translation: not wise to apply for life insurance while pregnant... do it before.

Shameless plug  :)
After you've done your own research, you could reach out to a broker to make the purchase. Remember to take advise from a broker with a grain of salt, since he is a salesman and your decision affects his income. Best to come prepared.
Henche's Broker, via ddf recommendation
Heshy Sheldon Breier. 
Worldwide Ins.
T:(718)253-9500
F:(718)252-3426
E:Sheldon@ww-ins.com

Author Topic: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance  (Read 138178 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance
« Reply #460 on: November 06, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
You are mistaken about your presumptions about insurance companies. They are able to make far better investments than you ever could with your 2k - you have access to the same equity markets as anyone else but nothing you could get could touch the institutional fixed income market (which is the overwhelming majority of any insurer's portfolio).
And keep in mind that your mutual fund fees are paying for the fund manager to pay his employees, keep the lights on, etc. And that the valuations of individual stock companies are also reduced by expenses such as paying their employees, keeping the lights on, etc.

I will never understand how people cannot fargin a company for the cost of doing business. It's the premise of the whole Areivim scandal. I guess like Jackie Mason says, the second he pays for something every Jew turns into an accountant.
ETA - ETF's solve some of those cost issues vs MF
yos, I'm gonna have to disagree about that. If you're investing with the same conservative outlook that the insurance companies are required by regulation to adopt, then yes, you'll never be able to match them. But if you're comfortable investing aggressively due to your 30+ year investment horizon (ie retirement), you'll do at least as well if not better than the insurance companies being in ETF's, especially once you account for all the extra expense margins built into the insurance products.

The larger value provided by insurance companies beyond the pure insurance component is taxes. And even then, it doesn't become worthwhile in every scenario.

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 06, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
BTW I should clarify to all I don't consider myself an expert but I love engaging in this kind of dialogue for learning. Sorry if I ever come across harsh. Thanks :)

So do I! Keep it going!

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 06, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »
yos, I'm gonna have to disagree about that. If you're investing with the same conservative outlook that the insurance companies are required by regulation to adopt, then yes, you'll never be able to match them. But if you're comfortable investing aggressively due to your 30+ year investment horizon (ie retirement), you'll do at least as well if not better than the insurance companies being in ETF's, especially once you account for all the extra expense margins built into the insurance products.

The larger value provided by insurance companies beyond the pure insurance component is taxes. And even then, it doesn't become worthwhile in every scenario.

If you want to characterize that as disagreeing, fine. But I agree with you, if you are willing to take on a different (higher) risk profile then of course it stands to reason that you can expect a different (higher) return. Just don't make the mistake of thinking the risks are the same - you might consider the difference in risk negligible, and perhaps for your needs it is, but it exists.

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 06, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »
Let me ask an OT question based on your comment... granted you are investing for a 30+ year horizon of retirement but do you know you will act rationally? A few years back I'm sure that your 401(k) balance dropped by 50% or so... did you sell any stocks/funds then to cut your losses? Taking actions during that 30 year period changes the landscape.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 06, 2014, 01:13:09 PM »
Let me ask an OT question based on your comment... granted you are investing for a 30+ year horizon of retirement but do you know you will act rationally? A few years back I'm sure that your 401(k) balance dropped by 50% or so... did you sell any stocks/funds then to cut your losses? Taking actions during that 30 year period changes the landscape.
Investing for retirement should be extremely passive, there should be absolutely no reaction to movement in the markets. The only reason to change anything is to shift your allocation percentages to be less aggressive as you approach retirement.

My 401(k) only goes back a few years, but my investment plan is as stated - stay as passive as possible even in the face of market fluctuations.

Offline Barryg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 07, 2014, 12:18:51 AM »
Sorry, I disappeared for two pages...
I am reposting this Q since I didn't get an answer last time - when directed at someone else...
What will change in 20 years as far as need for coverage?
Why does being in 20's say you should get 20 year term?
well in 20 years, there is much less of a mortgage, much less tuition ahead of you, etc.
Are you sure, I'd say the avg frum person at 50 has more tuition (look up high school, seminary, yeshiva prices) Chasunas and likely still kids at home...
Problem is for most frum people, in 20 years only the oldest couple of children will be out of the house. The 30 year might do it, but  the relative prices (20 year vs. 30 year vs. permanent) are a big factor.
So are you agreeing that 20 doesn't solve much more than 10? It seems that you are saying that 30 would be a way better solution than 20, just that you think it's expensive...
Just to review: I'm a fan of 10 and 30 not 20 - in general...

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 11, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »
after speaking with the agent, im leaning towards
20 year term 1.25 mil
30 year term 850k

Offline SavingsBigtime

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 11, 2014, 09:23:17 PM »
20 year term 1.25 mil
30 year term 850k

You will be overpaying no matter which company you take, there are price breaks and it's usually either on the 500,000 or 1,000,000 increments, taking a policy for 850k is just thrown out money!

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 11, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »

You will be overpaying no matter which company you take, there are price breaks and it's usually either on the 500,000 or 1,000,000 increments, taking a policy for 850k is just thrown out money!

Yeah, that's not really accurate but it raises a good point. Make sure to check the price difference between 850 and 1M because they could be close. I really don't know what else to make of the post -  he says what he's leaning toward but stops short of askng a question.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 11, 2014, 11:23:40 PM »
It doesn't hurt to check the prices, but the margins on term are so low that I can't imagine premium banding has a significant effect. You're certainly not throwing away any money, but the cost per dollar of coverage is likely to be a little bit better at the band break points.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 12, 2014, 01:45:51 AM »
20 year term 1.25 mil
30 year term 850k

I bolded the relevant #s... If your real need of ins. is $1.25 million then go for it, and if you believe in longer term then you should try to get some coverage in 30 year term.
Suggestion in how to accomplish both...
Get $500k 30 year term and $750k 10 year term (or something like it ex. ART or term80).
This way it should fit your budget, you will have some term ins. locked in for 30 years and some that is convertible.
Let me know if the #s are similar in price to 20yr $1.25 mil/30yr $850k...

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 12, 2014, 09:04:39 AM »
I bolded the relevant #s... If your real need of ins. is $1.25 million then go for it, and if you believe in longer term then you should try to get some coverage in 30 year term.
Suggestion in how to accomplish both...
Get $500k 30 year term and $750k 10 year term (or something like it ex. ART or term80).
This way it should fit your budget, you will have some term ins. locked in for 30 years and some that is convertible.
Let me know if the #s are similar in price to 20yr $1.25 mil/30yr $850k...
you misunderstood the purpose
i need 2 mil in 20 years and 850 for 21-30
and after running some numbers, whoever up thread said i am throwing away money couldnt be more wrong
choosing the mid numbers only throws away a couple of dollars a year at most

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 12, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »
If you read the thread you'll notice Barryg has a bit of a one track mind when it comes to life insurance coverage.
and after running some numbers, whoever up thread said i am throwing away money couldnt be more wrong
My life pricing rotation was on VUL, not term, but I've seen enough to know that the margins on term aren't large enough to make the band breaks so severe that it would outweigh the benefit of the extra coverage.

How much was it for each? And which insurer did he quote you? Out of curiousity (feel free to ignore this part if you're not comfortable addressing it in public), how did you arrive at those coverage numbers?

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 12, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »
You are correct, I didn't realize you were getting two plans. How did you calculate that in 21 years your insurance need will be only $850k when now it is over two million?
Now that I do understand what you're saying, though... Try 30 year term for $1 million, and 10 year term for the other million with a company that allows conversion to WL, then for comparison to your current plan, look at price of your age in 10 years for a 10 yr term that will take you from then to year 20. I'm guessing you'll be somewhat surprised to see that 10 then 10 is way cheaper than 20. Btw you should consider the waiver of premium that was discussed upthread for the 10 year plan as the cost should be minimal (especially if you compare it to cost of waiver in the 30 year term).

In the 30 specifically, I haven't seen so much as far as banding and $1 million being much cheaper, however, in general $1 million is a very common face amount and in the long run you'll prob do better keeping each plan at 1 million.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 12, 2014, 01:14:42 PM »
If you read the thread you'll notice Barryg has a bit of a one track mind when it comes to life insurance coverage.My life pricing rotation was on VUL, not term, but I've seen enough to know that the margins on term aren't large enough to make the band breaks so severe that it would outweigh the benefit of the extra coverage.

How much was it for each? And which insurer did he quote you? Out of curiousity (feel free to ignore this part if you're not comfortable addressing it in public), how did you arrive at those coverage numbers?
link?
Do you mean a one track mind as far as helping ppl or something else?

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 12, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »
Does that answer your question?
No, unless you mean helping ppl. but with your tone of typing, I think you meant something else...

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 12, 2014, 02:36:39 PM »
No, unless you mean helping ppl. but with your tone of typing, I think you meant something else...
I'm referring to pushing the same 30/10 plan to everyone, but I think you knew that...

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 13, 2014, 12:17:04 AM »
I'm referring to pushing the same 30/10 plan to everyone, but I think you knew that...
I introduced an idea a while back (which was in the wiki, before someone erased it). It was discussed on this forum as a good starting point for a calculation of coverage for the average frum family. No one, including yourself came out with a better plan. If you have and didn't mention yet, please let me know.
In the meantime, dealfinder (who I only know from what he wrote on this forum) is apparently asking the right Q's to the right ppl. He cares that he has the right plan for his family, with a good price. (Some of what he wrote is vague and missing info so there have been some misunderstandings on my part - and prob others - and there has been a great deal of guessing going on.) Either way, so far, it seems that he came to a similar plan. Knowing what I know about him (not much at all) I figured it would be wise if he asked another Q, since I thought that would help him. What I'm still trying to figure out is how you calling my pushy and one track minded will help dealfinder...

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 13, 2014, 12:35:38 AM »
I introduced an idea a while back (which was in the wiki, before someone erased it). It was discussed on this forum as a good starting point for a calculation of coverage for the average frum family. No one, including yourself came out with a better plan. If you have and didn't mention yet, please let me know.
In the meantime, dealfinder (who I only know from what he wrote on this forum) is apparently asking the right Q's to the right ppl. He cares that he has the right plan for his family, with a good price. (Some of what he wrote is vague and missing info so there have been some misunderstandings on my part - and prob others - and there has been a great deal of guessing going on.) Either way, so far, it seems that he came to a similar plan. Knowing what I know about him (not much at all) I figured it would be wise if he asked another Q, since I thought that would help him. What I'm still trying to figure out is how you calling my pushy and one track minded will help dealfinder...
How is his plan (a plan suggested by me, based on his stated needs) similar to your's? The fact that you somehow twisted what he wrote in your mind to the point that it has any similarity to your 30 cheap/10 convertible plan proves my point.