Topic Wiki

Term insurance vs Whole life

Term insurance is the cheapest and simplest.  You pay a premium and  if chv”sh the insured person dies, the beneficiary gets the insurance amount. The higher the risk a person is, the higher the premium.  So people with worse health  will pay more than healthy people for the same amount of insurance, and older people will pay more than younger people.
Level term.  One popular type of term insurance has a level premium for a fixed number of years. Many people prefer this to the traditional type of term insurance where the premium each each year pays for coverage only in that year (and as a result the premiums increase every year, because you are aging). In contrast, a level premium term insurance policy has an unchanging premium amount that is guaranteed for a specific number of years. As a result of the design you are overpaying in the early years of the policy to subsidize your cost in the later years. Popular guarantee periods are 10, 20 or 30 years.  As with any insurance, it pays to get one while you are healthy to lock in the lowest rate possible (in general, health only declines, you rarely hear of people getting healthier with age).
Return of Premium (ROP) Level term. Same as level term, but with a higher premium. At the end of the level period (e.g. 20 years or 30 years) you get back all of your premiums. Your premium is buying you two things: Part pays for the term insurance, and the other part pays for the cash payment you can get if you are alive at the end and didn't miss any premium payments. If you are mathematically inclined you can calculate an IRR and decide if you see a value in doing this.

The policies below combine "investing" with insurance. As they are front-loaded with large fees and commissions, they typically lose money for a few years and then break even. These rarely make sense for lower to middle class families.
Whole life has a level premium that is guaranteed not to increase for as long as you live. Because of insurance laws in the US, this type of insurance policy must always have a "cash value", which is the amount of money you get back if you cancel the policy. That makes Whole Life a much more expensive choice relative to pure insurance coverage (where you'd get nothing back if you cancel) and therefore a bad choice for most people who are not rich (this is complicated to explain in great detail, but it is an effective summary of who is most likely to see good value in buying Whole Life). One fringe benefit of having a cash value in Whole Life is that you have saved money which can be used for your retirement or any other purpose if you are still alive.  For most people though, other savings vehicles will be better.
Universal life is very similar to whole life, in that it is meant to provide insurance coverage for as long as you live (as opposed to Term, which is meant to for a short to medium period of time). The most important difference is that the premium rates for Universal Life are not guaranteed, unlike Whole Life which is completely guaranteed. The concept behind Universal Life is that the insurance company tells you all the charges you are paying for and lets you pay as much or as little as you want for the coverage. Anything extra that you pay goes into an account that can earn interest, and as long as that account doesn't run out of money you stay insured.
Variable Life is an offshoot of Universal Life. The difference is that instead of the extra money going into an account that earns interest, you can choose to invest the extra money in mutual funds. Take my word as an expert in insurance that Variable Universal Life is only for the most investment oriented people (meaning that they barely care at all about the insurance part of the policy). If you are trying to decide on Term or Variable, the answer is always Term.

Choosing a company
Generally, the companies that focus on term insurance will have the best prices (i.e. rates) for term. Those companies are Banner, SBLI, AIG, etc. If you want to buy term, use a quote aggregator to get quotes from several companies at once. Here is one example of an aggregator (a good one!).
[No one here is getting a commission for this link]
http://www.term4sale.com/
https://www.accuquotelife.com/
https://www.matrixdirect.com/term-life-insurance#fv

If you are looking for Whole Life, Universal Life, or any other permanent product, you won't find quotes on aggregators- you will need to go to a company agent or an independent broker. A simple piece of advice for someone in this position is to get quotes from companies that focus on the product you want. For example, Whole Life is done best by mutual companies (e.g. New York Life, Guardian, Northwestern, Mass Mutual, Penn, Mutual of Omaha). Universal Life (and VUL) are the main products of public stock companies (e.g. Metlife, Prudential, etc.). Most big companies sell all the different types of products, but may not be competitive in price for all of them.

One ddf'er feels strongly that when choosing a company to buy Term from, a major factor is the what "conversion" rights the policy comes with. Conversion is a feature that entitles you to buy Whole Life or Universal Life at some point in the future (presumably when you have more money and can afford the higher priced plans) without being underwritten again - meaning you keep your rating no matter how your health may change. Conversion is certainly a valuable benefit if you anticipate needing permanent insurance at some point, and not all companies are created equal. When evaluating conversion features, you need to look at 1) how long does the conversion right last and 2) what product does the company let you convert to. Many companies offer liberal conversion rights but have bad permanent products, and you need to be educated enough to see through this and value it as a poor option.

Valuable tips for when you apply
Underwriting is the insurance company deciding which rating to give each applicant. They check health and driving record, but do not check credit rating. They can approve with their best rating, or pretty much offer whatever they want as each company has many rate classes.

Different companies can and do give different ratings to the exact same people. So if you don't like the rating one company offered, apply to a different company and maybe you'll be happier. Often, they can use the test results from the other company and you won't need to give blood a second time.

Do not eat for at least 12 hours before blood test. You can drink water.

Pregnant women can apply but most companies view blood work and weight as is. Translation: not wise to apply for life insurance while pregnant... do it before.

Shameless plug  :)
After you've done your own research, you could reach out to a broker to make the purchase. Remember to take advise from a broker with a grain of salt, since he is a salesman and your decision affects his income. Best to come prepared.
Henche's Broker, via ddf recommendation
Heshy Sheldon Breier. 
Worldwide Ins.
T:(718)253-9500
F:(718)252-3426
E:Sheldon@ww-ins.com

Author Topic: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance  (Read 137634 times)

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2012, 09:57:09 PM »
I saw this. Aside from the limits, who cares about the financial strength of an insurance company?
I didn't mean to imply there are other reasons, I probably should have said 'so' instead of 'and'. As far as it being important, if you have so little coverage (<500k) it may not matter. But what about when you're paying for 1m in coverage and you can only actually get half of that? Is that not important?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »
I didn't mean to imply there are other reasons, I probably should have said 'so' instead of 'and'. As far as it being important, if you have so little coverage (<500k) it may not matter. But what about when you're paying for 1m in coverage and you can only actually get half of that? Is that not important?

1. If you have multiple policies it wouldn't matter (the limit is per policy AFAIK).
2. The state (and/or the company taking over the policy) might continue to cover you for more than the minimum/limit.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2012, 10:06:27 PM »
1. If you have multiple policies it wouldn't matter (the limit is per policy AFAIK).
Nope. From that site I linked to:
$500,000 per life per insolvent company
Not to mention the fact that there's an added cost to spreading out your coverage to more than one policy.
2. The state (and/or the company taking over the policy) might continue to cover you for more than the minimum/limit.
Source? Although regardless, that's not a guarantee.

Offline Plus1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 07:20:09 AM »
Asher O: You should care very much about the financial strength of your insurer.  Think about it: The state guaranty association claims it will guarantee consumers life insurance policies up to 500,000.  But, will it really?  Or perhaps you should ask, Can it?
The state guaranty association can rescue consumers if a handful of insurers become insolvent.  But what happens if something catastrophic occurs - either thousands or millions of deaths, or a recession so great that many insurers are forced to go out of business - the guaranty association cannot pay all those claims.  It will run out of money.    So if something like that occurs and insurers (and other companies) are forced to go out of business, you should make sure your policy is with the strongest financially sound life insurer.  Chances are, out of all the companies that are left standing, the strongest ones will survive.

That's why picking an insurer with strong financial backing is key.  The state guaranty association have limited reserve funds and are there if an insurer is mismanaged.  It is not designed for a total screw-up of the financial system.

Here is a quote from the state guaranty of NY website: Under current law, the guaranty corporation’s total amount of outstanding assessments is limited to $500 million.     

500 Million is not a lot of money when it comes to paying out death benefits - especially in a populous state like NY

Skyguy918:  Thanks for acknowledging that I'm correct! It's interesting to hear that actuaries at NY Life own Custom Whole Life.

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2012, 07:49:54 AM »
First of all thank you for all the info. I've been meeting with 3 diff. agents so far in the last month and it gets confusing at times.

Q: What's the reason NYL doesn't offer 30 Yr Term ?! Their maximum is 20 year. Any specific reason for this?

Offline yosele

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »
First of all thank you for all the info. I've been meeting with 3 diff. agents so far in the last month and it gets confusing at times.

Q: What's the reason NYL doesn't offer 30 Yr Term ?! Their maximum is 20 year. Any specific reason for this?

Contrary to public belief, insurance companies do not want policies that lapse.
It affects their ratings etc., the reality is that most people don't keep 30 year term for the length of the term, although it is a relatively new product, I.e. it is not out there for more than 30 years, but most people changed or converted their coverage before 30 years, therefore it isn't an economical policy to deal with.

I'm writing from a phone, when I'll be by a computer I'll elaborate.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »
Asher O: You should care very much about the financial strength of your insurer.  Think about it: The state guaranty association claims it will guarantee consumers life insurance policies up to 500,000.  But, will it really?  Or perhaps you should ask, Can it?
The state guaranty association can rescue consumers if a handful of insurers become insolvent.  But what happens if something catastrophic occurs - either thousands or millions of deaths, or a recession so great that many insurers are forced to go out of business - the guaranty association cannot pay all those claims.  It will run out of money.    So if something like that occurs and insurers (and other companies) are forced to go out of business, you should make sure your policy is with the strongest financially sound life insurer.  Chances are, out of all the companies that are left standing, the strongest ones will survive.

That's why picking an insurer with strong financial backing is key.  The state guaranty association have limited reserve funds and are there if an insurer is mismanaged.  It is not designed for a total screw-up of the financial system.

Here is a quote from the state guaranty of NY website: Under current law, the guaranty corporation’s total amount of outstanding assessments is limited to $500 million.     

500 Million is not a lot of money when it comes to paying out death benefits - especially in a populous state like NY

1. (AFAIK, please CMIIW:) Insurance companies all have reinsurance to insure against what you describe.
2. If something so drastically bad happens that multiple insurance companies (and their respective re-insurers) all go bankrupt, and the government can't pay the claims:
   A. your strong company will probably go under too, due to the same catastrophe.
   B. I'll have bigger worries than my life insurance going poof.
   C. The US dollar will probably become so devalued that my $1mm policy isn't worth the paper it's written on...

When banks were going bust left and right, the Fed basically said that if the FDIC goes bust they'll front them as much funds as they need, I'm sure the government would come up with a similar solution in the situation you describe.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline boruch

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »
Sure they will. Just print more money !!

(Sarcastic)

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »
1. (AFAIK, please CMIIW:) Insurance companies all have reinsurance to insure against what you describe.
2. If something so drastically bad happens that multiple insurance companies (and their respective re-insurers) all go bankrupt, and the government can't pay the claims:
   C. The US dollar will probably become so devalued that my $1mm policy isn't worth the paper it's written on...

When banks were going bust left and right, the Fed basically said that if the FDIC goes bust they'll front them as much funds as they need, I'm sure the government would come up with a similar solution in the situation you describe.
+1 .

With Whole Life I hear that you care about the strength of the institution as there is an investment side to your policy , but Term , come on  . The only factor is if you might convert it to a Whole Life at a later date so you might want to take that into account now. However IMHO convertibility is there as a selling tool and rarely used by the policy holder so it shouldn't come into play.

Offline Plus1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »

Asher: Yes, if something truly drastic happens then you will have more things to worry about then your life insurance policy.  But what happens if a financial crisis occurs, and the weak to moderate life insurers go under or can't pay their claims?  In life, you prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  Look what happened to some banks during the mortgage crisis - the weak went bankrupt and the strong got stronger.  And that's in a system with FDIC insurance. 

With Life insurance, when you pay high premiums for whole life / universal life, it best to go with  a strong mutually owned company.

Boruch:  The simple reason is that NY Life - and the other mutually owned life insurance companies - are not in the Term business.  Yes, they sell Term insurance, but their hope and goal is to convert and upgrade their clients to Whole life or any other permanent insurance product.

Companies that offer 30 year term cannot compete with the whole life products of the mutually owned insurers, so they focus on the Term market . Many people do not end up keeping the insurance in force for 30 years anyway and they let it lapse for whatever reason.  So now the insurance company made more $ as opposed to the same guy who started with a 20 year or 10 year term.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2012, 07:08:49 PM »
They are rated by the rating agencies Moodys, S&P etc
Would these be the same rating companies that did the rating on MBS? Look where that got us.

I took out a whole life policy from MetLife when I was in my 20's. Their big selling point was that in the history of the company their dividends never decreased and will not in the future. Anybody want to guess what happen two years later?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2012, 12:25:36 AM »
What?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline doublejay

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2012, 09:07:51 PM »
5)   You can buy Term insurance from a mutually owned insurance company, but usually you are better off buying from whoever is cheapest and has a good financial rating.   However if you do buy from a mutually owned insurance company there are some perks. 
    B)   Slight perks: For example, let’s say  you bought a 20 year Term insurance policy from NY Life with a $1 million death benefit, and you smartly bought the disability waiver of premium (as mentioned above).  Then you become disabled in year 15.  From year 15 to year 20 New York Life will pay your cheap Term premium. In year 20 they will convert the policy to a regular Whole Life policy with the death benefit of $1 million. And of course you can access the Cash Value as if you were paying the policy.

I know this post is old but do you mind explaining "b"?

They will pay the premiums for years 15-20 and then convert to Whole Life and pay premiums for length of disability? Unlimited years?

Doesn't sound right...

Offline Mordy2

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2012, 12:33:08 AM »
I know this post is old but do you mind explaining "b"?

They will pay the premiums for years 15-20 and then convert to Whole Life and pay premiums for length of disability? Unlimited years?

Doesn't sound right...

Yup- this is correct.  Not sure about all insurance carriers, I know that  NYL and Metlife definitely have this perk.  If a person becomes disabled during term of his/her policy, the company will pay term premium.  At the end of the term, they convert it into a Whole Life policy and continue paying the Whole Life premium.  If this benefit is included in your term policy, the specifications will be clearly listed on the Illustration.  I know that for certain products, some companies will pay the WL premium only until age 65.

Offline doublejay

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »
Yup- this is correct.  Not sure about all insurance carriers, I know that  NYL and Metlife definitely have this perk.  If a person becomes disabled during term of his/her policy, the company will pay term premium.  At the end of the term, they convert it into a Whole Life policy and continue paying the Whole Life premium.  If this benefit is included in your term policy, the specifications will be clearly listed on the Illustration.  I know that for certain products, some companies will pay the WL premium only until age 65.

Thanks for this.

Okay. Did my homework.

It seems that this is available with many term products but sometimes takes an additional step. You first [either way] buy 'disability waiver of premium' and some carriers build in conversion to Whole Life and some you must buy it as a rider [for example with Guardian it's called "whole life purchase option rider"].

Offline Mordy2

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »
Thanks for this.

Okay. Did my homework.

It seems that this is available with many term products but sometimes takes an additional step. You first [either way] buy 'disability waiver of premium' and some carriers build in conversion to Whole Life and some you must buy it as a rider [for example with Guardian it's called "whole life purchase option rider"].

Correct.  With some carriers, conversion to Whole Life policy (if disabled) is not built into the basic waiver of premium, and you have to purchase an additional rider (sometimes referred to as "Waiver Plus").  When comparing term quotes make sure to find out about riders/rider specifications to get the full picture.

Offline regge

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »
Would it make sense to take out a real small whole life policy and as time goes on i can pump more money other than the premium in and then the policy will grow... what i would think im gaining is that i can always put extra savings i have without having run into issues

Offline Ches

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2013, 12:31:36 PM »
There is a certain limit how much money you could pump into a policy, by some point it becomes taxable. the bigger the policy is the more money you could pump in it.

Offline glasses dude

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2013, 12:51:35 PM »
The. Question is,  is there a safer guaranteed way to put away a little for the future other then whole life I mean it pays out more then a CD and its something you could count on

Offline zek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
Never have heard a sound rationale for anything other than term