Author Topic: Best alternative to Hawaii within the United States?  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Best alternative to Hawaii within the United States?
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:04:16 AM »
Hi all,

We had been contemplating a trip to Hawaii (specifically, Kauai), but now it looks like that might not work out after all.   >:(

So... on to plan B. Can anyone recommend the next-best alternative for making a special trip? A nice, chilled-out place, preferably with nice beaches? Someone told me San Diego should be nice, or even LA. Others have suggested Colorado, Utah, or Alaska - while not being particularly beachy, these are nonetheless said to be nice places.

What do you guys think?

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Best alternative to Hawaii within the United States?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 09:36:32 AM »
Hi all,

We had been contemplating a trip to Hawaii (specifically, Kauai), but now it looks like that might not work out after all.   >:(

So... on to plan B. Can anyone recommend the next-best alternative for making a special trip? A nice, chilled-out place, preferably with nice beaches? Someone told me San Diego should be nice, or even LA. Others have suggested Colorado, Utah, or Alaska - while not being particularly beachy, these are nonetheless said to be nice places.

What do you guys think?
There is such a big difference between these places, so hard to know what you would want. Does the weather make a difference? Do you like more rural areas or cities?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Best alternative to Hawaii within the United States?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »
Hi all,

What do you guys think?

How about the Canadian Rockies?

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 02:16:01 PM »
There is such a big difference between these places, so hard to know what you would want. Does the weather make a difference? Do you like more rural areas or cities?

Sorry for not being so clear. Here's the story...

Probably our  best trip so far was to Arizona. We stayed in the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale, which in some ways resembled what people have said about the Grand Hyatt Kauai - awesome resort, with lots of pools and stuff. We loved the fact that there were enough pools that we could find our own little pool to have pretty much to ourselves. We loved the general relaxation, the luxury of being able to just sit in the sun and enjoy... Contrast that to our trips to Switzerland: although awesome trips as well, Switzerland is more of an intense, heavy-duty activity trip (skiing) plus cold weather.

So now... we had been looking forward to a similar experience in Kauai + GHK: a nice resort with an awesome pool complex, along with beautiful beaches. Outside the hotel: nice scenery, hikes, tours, etc. if we choose - but if not, the hotel itself would still be awesome.

So that's basically what I'm trying to find in an alternative: a nice, quiet, relaxing place. Not very crowded, nice hotel (preferably Hyatt, if not then SPG), good weather, good pools/beaches. And if there's nice scenery (mountains/oceanfront/whatever) and activities in the area, that's even better... Kosher restaurants nearby would be nice, but not a must.

I hope I've been a little clearer now. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
How about the Canadian Rockies?

Well... can I tack on a leg to Canada for free at the end of a TLV-JFK award on UA? Cuz that's why I originally wrote "within the United States" in the title...

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:28:03 PM »
Sorry for not being so clear. Here's the story...

Probably our  best trip so far was to Arizona. We stayed in the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale, which in some ways resembled what people have said about the Grand Hyatt Kauai - awesome resort, with lots of pools and stuff. We loved the fact that there were enough pools that we could find our own little pool to have pretty much to ourselves. We loved the general relaxation, the luxury of being able to just sit in the sun and enjoy... Contrast that to our trips to Switzerland: although awesome trips as well, Switzerland is more of an intense, heavy-duty activity trip (skiing) plus cold weather.

So now... we had been looking forward to a similar experience in Kauai + GHK: a nice resort with an awesome pool complex, along with beautiful beaches. Outside the hotel: nice scenery, hikes, tours, etc. if we choose - but if not, the hotel itself would still be awesome.

So that's basically what I'm trying to find in an alternative: a nice, quiet, relaxing place. Not very crowded, nice hotel (preferably Hyatt, if not then SPG), good weather, good pools/beaches. And if there's nice scenery (mountains/oceanfront/whatever) and activities in the area, that's even better... Kosher restaurants nearby would be nice, but not a must.

I hope I've been a little clearer now. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

In that case just a pick a nice  hotel in any nice city. Do you have Hyatt nights?

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »
Can get... why, what do you recommend?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
Can get... why, what do you recommend?

Pary Hyatt Beaver Creek
Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe
Park Hyatt Aviara

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
Pary Hyatt Beaver Creek
Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe
Park Hyatt Aviara

Thanks for those suggestions... Are there any places you would recommend that have several (or many) pools, a la the GHK or HR Scottsdale? The PH Aviara seems nice, but only has one pool (maybe two). Not likely to get a whole lot of privacy...

Also, another spin on my original request - any places with beautiful white beaches and crystal blue waters? Or is that only in Hawaii?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »
Thanks for those suggestions... Are there any places you would recommend that have several (or many) pools, a la the GHK or HR Scottsdale? The PH Aviara seems nice, but only has one pool (maybe two). Not likely to get a whole lot of privacy...

Also, another spin on my original request - any places with beautiful white beaches and crystal blue waters? Or is that only in Hawaii?

Caribbean? Grand Cayman Islands?

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »

Caribbean
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 07:42:28 PM »
Thanks, both of you... I never really looked into the Carribean, though - any specific islands/hotels to recommend?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »
Thanks, both of you... I never really looked into the Carribean, though - any specific islands/hotels to recommend?

I had a friend who lived in the Grand Cayman Islands for a year and the water there looked amazing. Though I think its a bit more $$ than going to the Bahamas or something.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 07:52:48 PM »
Problem is, I know very little about the Carribean or GCI. I was kinda hoping to find something nice in the continental US. Either that, or I'm gonna need some spoonfeeding. :(

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »
If something similar to HI existed in the continental US why in the world would people fly out the way out to HI???

Having said that, perhaps look into the HR Huntington Beach.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 07:56:14 PM »
Problem is, I know very little about the Carribean or GCI. I was kinda hoping to find something nice in the continental US. Either that, or I'm gonna need some spoonfeeding. :(

You don't have to know too much. Book a flight. Pick a hotel. Go! These places aren't that big to begin with. And when I you get there just ask where the beach is ;)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »
Isn't TLV- S America the same rate?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »
Isn't TLV- S America the same rate?

Yup, just discovered that like an hour ago. ;)

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 08:19:44 PM »
If something similar to HI existed in the continental US why in the world would people fly out the way out to HI???

True dat... You can chew me out personally when I come to CLE in ~2 weeks. ;)

Having said that, perhaps look into the HR Huntington Beach.

Thanks! I shall...

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »
You don't have to know too much. Book a flight. Pick a hotel. Go! These places aren't that big to begin with. And when I you get there just ask where the beach is ;)

;D