Poll

Did you catch the 4 mile hong kong deal and book and get ticketed??

YES
81 (28.5%)
NO
35 (12.3%)
CONFIRMED BUT NO TICKET
1 (0.4%)
MISSED THE DEAL
167 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 284

Author Topic: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong  (Read 294967 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #440 on: July 16, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
They would have decided by now either way IMHO
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 16, 2012, 02:54:39 PM »
still to early for that slightly OT if it is offered and i cant use my ticket can i cancel without requesting redeposit so i can get the taxes back
sorry to bump this but it got pushed back I was wondering if anyone had an answer

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 16, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »
The official answer is no. Whether or not u can talk ur way out of it I dunno.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #443 on: July 16, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »
yes (its a stupid question)

Stupid question? 

Incorrect answer. The answer is NO. Officially you can't.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 16, 2012, 03:02:48 PM »
They would have decided by now either way IMHO
I have the same feeling, but I assume that they'll have to cancel them manually which can take days or weeks, so we won't see results so fast.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 16, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
I happen to agree that is NOT REASONABLE to EXPECT United to honor these. For the few people who already started their itinerary I would say that is really sleazy. It is obvious they booked a flight leaving immediately because they did not expect the ticket to be honored. The same goes for any troll out there who is threatening to sue. I think everyone would agree that they are a complete pig.

HOWEVER, United did not render any services at all for the rest of us, and since no one seriously expects the free flight or stands to lose anything if it is cancelled, I don't see how it was wrong to book it for fun. A lot of people had a ton of fun and excitement planning a great trip while bearing in mind that they are probably not going to get it anyway.

One more group of people I take issue with are those who booked a ton of flights. Some commentors claim they booked as much as 50 (!!!) tickets. It is this kind of insane gold mining that is so dirty and ugly.

Since the WSJ article was dredged up with a quote saying that United policy is to honor all mistake fares no matter how big the error is, I would say that United looked to the future, understood the ramifications of such a policy and made it anyway.

The reason they made that policy and announced it is because they made a calculated decision that the benefits of having that policy outweighs the possible cost of the policy. If that is the case, then is it really morally wrong to book a mistake fare? Would you say the United should benefit from having the policy and also not honor it?

Having said all this (in a really long post) I think the reasonable thing for United to do is honor the tickets for those who made reasonable bookings (one or two) possibly moving them down to economy. However if I were in charge those who took egregious advantage of the mistake to book 5,8,10 or 50 bookings would lose them.

This would also give United a chance to get some good PR given the VERY recent PR disaster where a planeful of people were stuck in China for three DAYS waiting to depart. If I were in charge I would make a big deal out of honoring some of these bookings and alert the media to distract from the other mess.

Your thoughts?
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 16, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »
@S/I, they have pax flying out today, they wouldve cancelled those, no?

They fell out of the 24-hr period now, which is stupid if they're intending on cancelling them.

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 16, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »
@S/I, they have pax flying out today, they wouldve cancelled those, no?

They fell out of the 24-hr period now, which is stupid if they're intending on cancelling them.
I was just saying that since they may have to do this manually, they'll have to take 5-10 of their reps to go over ALL 20,000 bookings, and cancel one by one, which may take time till they get to every single booking regardless of the time they are flying...
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 16, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »
I happen to agree that is NOT REASONABLE to EXPECT United to honor these. For the few people who already started their itinerary I would say that is really sleazy. It is obvious they booked a flight leaving immediately because they did not expect the ticket to be honored. The same goes for any troll out there who is threatening to sue. I think everyone would agree that they are a complete pig.

HOWEVER, United did not render any services at all for the rest of us, and since no one seriously expects the free flight or stands to lose anything if it is cancelled, I don't see how it was wrong to book it for fun. A lot of people had a ton of fun and excitement planning a great trip while bearing in mind that they are probably not going to get it anyway.

One more group of people I take issue with are those who booked a ton of flights. Some commentors claim they booked as much as 50 (!!!) tickets. It is this kind of insane gold mining that is so dirty and ugly.

Since the WSJ article was dredged up with a quote saying that United policy is to honor all mistake fares no matter how big the error is, I would say that United looked to the future, understood the ramifications of such a policy and made it anyway.

The reason they made that policy and announced it is because they made a calculated decision that the benefits of having that policy outweighs the possible cost of the policy. If that is the case, then is it really morally wrong to book a mistake fare? Would you say the United should benefit from having the policy and also not honor it?

Having said all this (in a really long post) I think the reasonable thing for United to do is honor the tickets for those who made reasonable bookings (one or two) possibly moving them down to economy. However if I were in charge those who took egregious advantage of the mistake to book 5,8,10 or 50 bookings would lose them.

This would also give United a chance to get some good PR given the VERY recent PR disaster where a planeful of people were stuck in China for three DAYS waiting to depart. If I were in charge I would make a big deal out of honoring some of these bookings and alert the media to distract from the other mess.

Your thoughts?

Would everyone just quit the public chattering about the validity, just grow up and shut up! It doesn't do any good to publicly speculate.
How do you get a group of lawyers to smile for a picture?

A: Just say "Fees!"

Offline U-no-me!

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 16, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »
Would everyone just quit the public chattering about the validity, just grow up and shut up! It doesn't do any good to publicly speculate.

::)
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #450 on: July 16, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »
Hmm... I totally overlooked the fact that its >24 hours later now...

So if someone who booked 10 flights were to try and cancel some of them, he'd be denied reimbursement?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 16, 2012, 03:25:44 PM »
my friend GOT A CALL from united (i bold the got a call to impress that my friend is not a moron!) the guy in united was calling to confirm his billing address!!

They probably want to have a confirmed address on file in case they want to send any official/legal docs.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Reb Moshe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Turkish GOLD, Aegean GOLD, Hertz presidents circle, AVIS Presidents, Rav Kav Platinum, Hilton Gold
« Reply #452 on: July 16, 2012, 03:27:08 PM »
As of now we know that they may or may not honor it. In other words we have no clue.

It means alot to everyone the back and forth about will they honor it or not.....

Basically why dont we just wait until we get new information from the lovely personel at united that  may know what they are talking about........

Offline outinstyle

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 16, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »
and since no one seriously expects the free flight

Actual case:
About a dozen years ago, I had a very expensive item on my website that was sold out. I made the “mistake” of changing the price to zero and added to the name to “OUT OF STOCK”, thinking that if I left the item on my website it will help for searches and as long as the name said “out of stock” and the price was zero – I should be fine.
Well some jerk placed an order for ten pieces & then spent the next six months making my life miserable. He had no “leg to stand on” that didn’t stop him from filing complaints with EVERYONE (BBB, the Attorney General, Chamber of Commerce, dozens of complaint sites, even filed a claim in small claims court!)

So yes, there are people out there that won’t just laugh this off.

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 16, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »
As of now we know that they may or may not honor it. In other words we have no clue.

It means alot to everyone the back and forth about will they honor it or not.....

Basically why dont we just wait until we get new information from the lovely personel at united that  may know what they are talking about........
+10

Talk about it all you want - just don't gripe about how unethical it is just because you were too slow to catch it, don't call or contact United and don't give United any good arguments - let them figure this one out on their own.
How do you get a group of lawyers to smile for a picture?

A: Just say "Fees!"

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #455 on: July 16, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »
Hmm... I totally overlooked the fact that its >24 hours later now...

So if someone who booked 10 flights were to try and cancel some of them, he'd be denied reimbursement?

Well in this case they're better off letting a person cancel but yes he could be denied.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #456 on: July 16, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »
wow, speaking about techiyas hamesim...
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #457 on: July 16, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »
+10

Talk about it all you want - just don't gripe about how unethical it is just because you were too slow to catch it, don't call or contact United and don't give United any good arguments - let them figure this one out on their own.

Oh, please  ::)

If you think United is trolling DDF for good ideas as to how to get out of these contracts, instead of, you know, relying on their HOARD of legal counsel, you're living in la la land.

Well in this case they're better off letting a person cancel but yes he could be denied.

Guess I'm waiting it out :P

???
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #458 on: July 16, 2012, 03:47:25 PM »

???
Maybe he is referring to e-Lawyer? First post in a month...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #459 on: July 16, 2012, 03:49:11 PM »

That totally does not make any sense! why would United get positive PR by allowing some tickets through and downgrading them to economy? It won't help the media since plenty of people will still complain about the fact that their tickets - which were confirmed in first class - were either cancelled or downgraded! I think it's a matter of all or nothing, If united can legally pull it off to void all the tickets then do that all the way but otherwise, those who have tickets will keep them all in their ticketed cabin.
Regardless if someone bought 2 tickets of 50, how can united go and say we're honoring some and not others? where do they draw the line?