Poll

Did you catch the 4 mile hong kong deal and book and get ticketed??

YES
81 (28.5%)
NO
35 (12.3%)
CONFIRMED BUT NO TICKET
1 (0.4%)
MISSED THE DEAL
167 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 284

Author Topic: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong  (Read 294690 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #620 on: July 17, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
I believe argument #1 is at the top.
And don't understand how do you know its irrelevant, the receipt was printed in error, so. what? As long it stated the correct amount at the begining of the purchase.
I don't know anything. But I think online sites often apply discounts etc at checkout. Even if that weren't so, it's clear that the checkout page shows 2 different prices. What this means is that the customer knew it was a mistake, which is irrelevant. Who says the higher price applies? I would think the final 'total' price overrides it.

There's another argument (#6) going around FT that the DoT only bars the airline from raising the price, but doesn't say they can't cancel it.

This is obvious BS. If they cancel a ticket, they have to provide alternative accommodation.

@elawyer, I'm writing all of this from my BlackBerry, so I'm not so careful with editing. I'm definitely curious to hear your opinion about what I said.
@ platinumguy

We know each other and I dont mean any offense in what I am going to write.

But because of people like you this deal will never get honoured. You booked 9 tickets... I know its fun flying first, but come on. You are spitting in their face... They see that and say, this guy is taking major advantage and only flying for the hell of it

I agree with you 100%. All I'm saying is that techinically, they probably have to.

I do have moral qualms about raping them like this, however the airlines in the US take advantage of us in many circumstances due to regulations keeping out competitors, etc. So, I decided I can take advantge of regulation too. 

I think we can all agree that there is a reason not a single ticket has been cancelled yet (one was cancelled and reinstated). I'm speculating they are trying to find out what the DoT thinks about it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:37:47 AM by PlatinumGuy »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
I am not talking about this case, I am just talking in general.

Sometimes is better to settle with less, then loose all.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #622 on: July 17, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »
@PG - All the pros and cons that you wrote about their their possible arguments go out the window when it comes up that it's a unilateral mistake on the contract (you KNEW that they didn't really mean to charge 4 miles) and therefore they have a legal right to void the contract (as I wrote in greater detail here).

And I responded to that argument here.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 17, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »
I am not talking about this case, I am just talking in general.

Sometimes is better to settle with less, then loose all.
That is true. On FT, a guy claims he did 45 tix. I find it hard to believe they will honor those who only booked 1, but not those who booked more.

You're right if only 10 tickets were made, or even 1000 by 1000 people they would be more likely to honor it, however since other would definitely do multiple bookings, I can't see why it doesn't make sense for me to make many.

FYI, I only booked trips I was planing on going on, I didn't just make random bookings.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #624 on: July 17, 2012, 10:35:54 AM »
2) The 4 miles were not deducted, thus the full price agreed was not 'paid'.

Setting aside the rest, this argument is unavailing. If this were the case, UA (or any other airline for that matter) could simply wait until 15 minutes before boarding (or even later) to "exact payment." This would give them carte blanche to cancel any tickets as "they were not paid for." Meh.

It doesn't make much sense, which is why I doubt this DoT reg is legal.

Just because DoT regulations don't make sense to you does not ipso facto mean they're illegal. Google 'federal preemption."
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Q274

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #625 on: July 17, 2012, 10:53:07 AM »
FYI, I only booked trips I was planing on going on, I didn't just make random bookings.
i can vouch for that- i had actually spoke to him a few days prior to this ordeal abt his "trips"

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 17, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »
I meant in contradiction to traditional contract law. This I don't know at all, but I would think there would be a way to strike it down. What do you think?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 17, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »
I meant in contradiction to traditional contract law. This I don't know at all, but I would think there would be a way to strike it down. What do you think?

Google 'federal preemption."

It is by its very nature contradictory.

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 17, 2012, 10:55:35 AM »

@elawyer, I'm writing all of this from my BlackBerry, so I'm not so careful with editing. I'm definitely curious to hear your opinion about what I said. I agree with you 100%. All I'm saying is that techinically, they probably have to.

I am not a transportation lawyer. However, I don't believe that there is any on point / direct precedent for this scenario. As a result, I think this is all speculation. Ultimately I would wait for United to truly make the next move, not including a posting on FT by UA insider.

On the one hand this was a price mistake -loosely defined. On the other hand...... there is no strong "other hand argument."

Regardless of the law, if you want to do more than file a complaint with the DOT, it will cost time and money which many people cannot afford.
How do you get a group of lawyers to smile for a picture?

A: Just say "Fees!"

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 17, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »

It is by its very nature contradictory.
So what happens if they say when a flight leaves a minute late, they have to give every passenger $1,000,000?

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #630 on: July 17, 2012, 11:01:01 AM »
I believe argument #1 is at the top.
And don't understand how do you know its irrelevant, the receipt was printed in error, so what? As long it stated the correct amount at the begining of the purchase.
How does United know what it said when I was booking, all they have now is the receipt which says 4 miles.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Q274

• View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #631 on: July 17, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »
How does United know what it said when I was booking, all they have now is the receipt which says 4 miles.
i think the receipt said both

Offline chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 17, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »
A guy on Ft made a valid point, think of the whole thing the other way around.

What wouls you have done if UA charges you 200000 miles instead of 20000 miles, you didnt realize that it said a extra 0 and were charged to much. Would you also say, to bad, I accepted it and did a binding agreement with them

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 17, 2012, 11:10:23 AM »
  So what happens if they say when a flight leaves a minute late, they have to give every passenger $1,000,000?

1. They won't do that.
2. There are probably more specific guidelines than that, I'm sure even the ambiguous wording in the DoT regulations isn't that ambiguous.
3. Since when would the fine be paid to the consumer?

What wouls you have done if UA charges you 200000 miles instead of 20000 miles, you didnt realize that it said a extra 0 and were charged to much. Would you also say, to bad, I accepted it and did a binding agreement with them

Unfortunately for UA, the DoT regulations are skewed against them in this case (if they apply). In any case, UA offers the FFP to build goodwill and repeat-business, so I'm sure they'd credit you back in that instance, and theoretically you can make the same argument the other way around (like the Karma guy Dan linked to), but it's not the same.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 17, 2012, 11:11:21 AM »
Not it most cases. However, a simple look at FT will show them all they need to know.

I agree that doesn't make sense. But the regulation applies to mistakes by the airline and not to the customer.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 17, 2012, 11:12:55 AM »
1. They won't do that.
2. There are probably more specific guidelines than that, I'm sure even the ambiguous wording in the DoT regulations isn't that ambiguous.
3. Since when would the fine be paid to the consumer?
1. Yeah. I didn't think they will :D

2. I'm suggesting those guidelines may also outlaw this regulation

3. I said 'if'.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 17, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »

That's like asking what happens if DoT says for every cancelled ticket, Smisek has to wear a panda suit at work for a day. The fact is that's not the regulation that was passed.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 17, 2012, 11:14:42 AM »
That's like asking what happens if DoT says for every cancelled ticket, Smisek has to wear a panda suit at work. The fact is that's not the regulation that was passed.
But if it was, they would be required to comply? Wouldn't a court be a able to override that?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 17, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
1. Yeah. I didn't think they will :D

2. I'm suggesting those guidelines may also outlaw this regulation

3. I said 'if'.

I really don't get your point. It's like asking what happens if the government passes a law that you have to send your right arm and youngest child to the President in a lime green box via UPS ground.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #639 on: July 17, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »
Not rly

Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.