Poll

Did you catch the 4 mile hong kong deal and book and get ticketed??

YES
81 (28.5%)
NO
35 (12.3%)
CONFIRMED BUT NO TICKET
1 (0.4%)
MISSED THE DEAL
167 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 284

Author Topic: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong  (Read 293631 times)

Offline Reb Moshe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Turkish GOLD, Aegean GOLD, Hertz presidents circle, AVIS Presidents, Rav Kav Platinum, Hilton Gold
Re: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #1280 on: July 20, 2012, 02:01:40 AM »
If you notice the language they are using is that the ticket was never bought because there was not enough miles.

This will be the big fight. Because we all know the ticket purchase was complete.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: July 20, 2012, 02:37:13 AM »
On the final screen, it actually did show the correct (full) amount above and then the 4 miles below.
Not on multi city bookings.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: July 20, 2012, 03:18:19 AM »
Ua prob told the dot and i think they are right:

When you booked it showed the correct amount of miles by flight selection, so if you had only 50 miles in the account, you never had intentions to book it for the full amount... You knew its 60k each way, but booked it with a 1k account... So its clear from beginning what your plan was...

People that had 500k and only 4k got pulled can claim, they really wanted to pay full, but united offered for less, so they have a valid contract

I anyway think united fot dot aproval for this and writing them is a waste of time. Anyway its enough, if a few write, as if they honour it, you can always file later and get in on the same dot ruling

My only regret, i was ready to book a short shabbes trip to hkg with my family, had 6 seats in business for the weekend, i didnt book as i couldnt be bothered to shlep for a short time, but i see it would have been a hall of fame trip and ua would have allowed it...oh well, happy to chill at home as well

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 20, 2012, 03:50:07 AM »
Interesting how some of us thought, it will take them weeks till they cancel everyone manually, and all of a sudden in one hour everything was over, perhaps they also compiled a list in last few days, so to do everyone the same time.
Nd will gain big time from this, definitely a free trip at his choice, plus more.

Offline Ryan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 20, 2012, 08:03:46 AM »
Just out of curiosity, did anyone try booking to HKG out of a Canadian departure city?

Offline ticketmaster

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 20, 2012, 08:18:39 AM »
On the final screen, it actually did show the correct (full) amount above and then the 4 miles below.

More often than not when buying a discounted product online it will say the original price in your cart and then calculate the discount based off that and show the lower total "below the line"

Offline LWG

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 20, 2012, 08:22:14 AM »

Re: Hong Kong Master Thread
« Reply #172 on: Today at 01:16:27 am »
Just got an email from UA with the bad news  had reservations for whole family . Guess no such luck! It said the following:

Update regarding award itinerary
that includes Hong Kong

Dear ----------------,

You recently requested the ticketing of MileagePlus award travel to, from or through Hong Kong (confirmation -------). Because your account does not have enough miles to complete the purchase, we have canceled the ticket for non-payment and refunded all taxes and fees. The number of miles required for this award was provided during your transaction and is published on the MileagePlus travel award chart on our website.

If you have already canceled the ticket, please disregard this email.

We appreciate your understanding and look forward to serving you in the future.

- I don't even think its written well, as the point the dot would be arguing will be that out bill/receipt stated that amount was OWED and PAID. I believe they will and should be fined.
 I'm not surprised or upset by this, as I guess it was expected, but I DO believe it was their error and in this case they should have to honor it.  And I think the dot will come to that conclusion .

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 20, 2012, 08:24:05 AM »
More often than not when buying a discounted product online it will say the original price in your cart and then calculate the discount based off that and show the lower total "below the line"

Yes, but airlines dont have this. Also you would not enter a 10 Dollar gift card and then expect to buy 1000 Dollars worth of goods

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 20, 2012, 08:26:40 AM »
#FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS

Offline Ryan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 20, 2012, 08:28:54 AM »

Offline ticketmaster

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: July 20, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »
Yes, but airlines dont have this. Also you would not enter a 10 Dollar gift card and then expect to buy 1000 Dollars worth of goods

I was arguing in our favor not for United. When I purchase something I look at the total not the pretax, pre-shipping cost. In this case it was significantly discounted.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 20, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »
I was arguing in our favor not for United. When I purchase something I look at the total not the pretax, pre-shipping cost. In this case it was significantly discounted.

I am arguing factual and not in anybodys favour. Yes you look at the total, but you will never try to buy a 10000 dollar item with a 5 dollar giftcard

Offline ticketmaster

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 20, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
I am arguing factual and not in anybodys favour. Yes you look at the total, but you will never try to buy a 10000 dollar item with a 5 dollar giftcard

If I knew the item was already heavily discounted I would.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 20, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »

If it was pricing out at $5, sure I would :)
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #1294 on: July 20, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »
Just received a reply from DOT

"Mr. XXXXXXXXX:

This is in regard to your complaint against United Airlines (UAL) about certain Mileage Plus Award tickets to, from, or via Hong Kong that could be acquired on UAL's website between July 14 and July 15, 2012. Information that we have obtained to date from affected consumers and the airline, including screen shots taken from various steps in the booking process, reflects a discrepancy in the mileage amounts required to be paid for these tickets. More specifically, the mileage amounts, as they appeared on the website's mileage award tables, itinerary selection page and at the top of the itinerary purchase page, were significantly higher (e.g., 320,000 miles plus taxes and fees for a roundtrip ticket) than the amount displayed as the "total price" on the itinerary purchase page (i.e., four miles plus taxes and fees). In short, it is unclear what full price was offered. We will continue to investigate this matter to determine the full price of these tickets, whether that full price was, in fact, paid by the consumers, whether the airline issued tickets upon full payment, and whether the carrier raised the price after full payment was made and the tickets were issued.

As you may be aware, the Department recently issued a regulation, 14 CFR 399.88, that is intended to prevent airlines from unfairly and deceptively raising the price of a ticket after a consumer has paid in full and purchased that ticket. As stated in the regulation, such conduct would constitute a prohibited unfair and deceptive practice under a statute enacted by Congress, 49 USC 41712. The goal of our investigation is to determine whether UAL has acted unfairly or deceptively to consumers who acquired Mileage Plus Awards tickets as described above. Please note that, regardless of the outcome of our investigation, consumers are free to pursue claims (e.g., a breach of contract claim) against the airline in an appropriate civil court for monetary damages and other remedies particular to their situation.

Alexander A. Taday III
Aviation Industry Analyst
Aviation Consumer Protection Division
Office of the General Counsel
US Department of Transportation
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1295 on: July 20, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
Gotta say - that's a pretty reasonable response.

For all of you regulations haters, it seems DoT is invoking it properly, that is, only when the airlines is being unfair and deceptive. Seems like case closed truly.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1296 on: July 20, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »
Gotta say - that's a pretty reasonable response.

For all of you regulations haters, it seems DoT is invoking it properly, that is, only when the airlines is being unfair and deceptive.
+1 very well written! United should take a lesson.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #1297 on: July 20, 2012, 11:03:50 AM »
Got the same email now.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #1298 on: July 20, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »
Just received a reply from DOT

"Mr. XXXXXXXXX:

This is in regard to your complaint against United Airlines (UAL) about certain Mileage Plus Award tickets to, from, or via Hong Kong that could be acquired on UAL's website between July 14 and July 15, 2012. Information that we have obtained to date from affected consumers and the airline, including screen shots taken from various steps in the booking process, reflects a discrepancy in the mileage amounts required to be paid for these tickets. More specifically, the mileage amounts, as they appeared on the website's mileage award tables, itinerary selection page and at the top of the itinerary purchase page, were significantly higher (e.g., 320,000 miles plus taxes and fees for a roundtrip ticket) than the amount displayed as the "total price" on the itinerary purchase page (i.e., four miles plus taxes and fees). In short, it is unclear what full price was offered. We will continue to investigate this matter to determine the full price of these tickets, whether that full price was, in fact, paid by the consumers, whether the airline issued tickets upon full payment, and whether the carrier raised the price after full payment was made and the tickets were issued.

As you may be aware, the Department recently issued a regulation, 14 CFR 399.88, that is intended to prevent airlines from unfairly and deceptively raising the price of a ticket after a consumer has paid in full and purchased that ticket. As stated in the regulation, such conduct would constitute a prohibited unfair and deceptive practice under a statute enacted by Congress, 49 USC 41712. The goal of our investigation is to determine whether UAL has acted unfairly or deceptively to consumers who acquired Mileage Plus Awards tickets as described above. Please note that, regardless of the outcome of our investigation, consumers are free to pursue claims (e.g., a breach of contract claim) against the airline in an appropriate civil court for monetary damages and other remedies particular to their situation.

Alexander A. Taday III
Aviation Industry Analyst
Aviation Consumer Protection Division
Office of the General Counsel
US Department of Transportation

Mr XXXXXX? Why x's?

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #1299 on: July 20, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »

Mr XXXXXX? Why x's?
instead of his name, duh.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.