Author Topic: Latest "iPhone 5" Rumor: Apple to reveal release date on Aug 7  (Read 9038 times)

Offline 123ablack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Multiple tech sites are reporting the leaked info about Apple bringing forward their iPhone 5 launch - from October to August and that the release date will be released at Apple's Kynote event on August 7.

Apple allegedly changed the release month after feeling heat from Samsung's successful release of their Galaxy S3 on all major networks (which is expected to have sold over 10 million devices by the end of its first 30 days).

Source of this rumor: KnowYourMobile
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1482786/iphone_5_official_release_date_revealed_as_august_7.html

In other news, Reuters reports of some Chinese e-commerce websites now accepting preorders for the popularly dubbed iPhone 5.
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/12/us-apple-iphone-idINBRE86B09L20120712

Is there any depth to all those rumors? I guess we oughta hang tight and wait for Aug 7 to arrive..
One reason to be skeptical... KnowYourMobile in general does not carry the best track record when it comes to predict product release dates..

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:15:19 PM by 123ablack »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Latest "iPhone 5" Rumor: Apple to reveal release date on Aug 7
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 03:50:31 PM »
Is there any depth to all those rumors?

I guess we oughta hang tight and wait for Aug 7 to arrive..

I mean, unless you think someone on DDF a) works for Apple, and b) is going to share that info with someone on DDF  :o
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline 123ablack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »
I mean, unless you think someone on DDF a) works for Apple, and b) is going to share that info with someone on DDF  :o

He-Hey Mr. AJK...
Do not underestimate the DDF members....  :D
We have Doctors, PAs, RNs, BLS, ALS, Lawers, Law-enforcement officers, politicians and yes we also have Apple Geek-Tech guys and scientists on board  ;)..  ;D

Offline RJ898

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:52:24 PM »
I've been looking into iPhone 5 rumors for almost 2 years, if iv'e learned anything It's: never trust an apple rumor.
Part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

Offline 123ablack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
I've been looking into iPhone 5 rumors for almost 2 years, if iv'e learned anything It's: never trust an apple rumor.

Unless they (apple) intensionally slowly release those rumors to hype the enthusiasm - as might very well be the case here..

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:25 AM »
If you think for even a second that Apple is afraid of Samsung, you must be out of your mind.

Case in point: The Galaxy S3 will be worth less in 6 months than the Iphone 4S. Check Ebay early next year, and you will see for yourself.

Apple will make the S3 irrelevant.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:14:03 AM »
If you think for even a second that Apple is afraid of Samsung, you must be out of your mind.

Case in point: The Galaxy S3 will be worth less in 6 months than the Iphone 4S. Check Ebay early next year, and you will see for yourself.

Your point is irrelevant for the following reason(s):

1. Apple makes no money on resold devices, so the resale volume is irrelevant to them. Or (b'ofen acher)
2. All that says is that Apple users hold onto their devices for longer, which doesn't bid well for Apple. OTOH, Samsung (Android) users upgrade every 6-18 months on average (pulled the nmber out of my hat), meaning more devices sold for the android manufacturers.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 01:36:14 AM »

The same losers (pardon the expression but I am trying to make a point) who are willing to buy Apple (now) are willing to pay a lot for any Apple device (its a cult-like feeling :) ) Android users will never pay more for an outdated Android.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »
Your point is irrelevant for the following reason(s):

1. Apple makes no money on resold devices, so the resale volume is irrelevant to them. Or (b'ofen acher)
2. All that says is that Apple users hold onto their devices for longer, which doesn't bid well for Apple. OTOH, Samsung (Android) users upgrade every 6-18 months on average (pulled the nmber out of my hat), meaning more devices sold for the android manufacturers.

C'mon, you can do better than that.

• It is irrelevant that Apple doesn't make money on aftermarket sales of hardware (even though they still do from the APP store). The FACT that Apple devices hold their value shows that the CONSUMER holds them highly valuable, and that is all that matters. When a consumer buys an Iphone, he is confident that it will retain its value for quite some time. (Just like smart car buyers used to buy only Japanese cars)
  • On your second point, you are incorrect on two grounds: First, Apple keeps grabbing market share from Android and other platform users in large numbers, and the same can't be said the other way around, so they need not concern themselves with customers holding on to their phones. Second, most Apple device owners may not upgrade the first time, but they almost always will upgrade the second time (I.e., 4S owners may not get the 5, but they will most likely get the 5s)
  • I'm not sure how upgrading 6-18 months helps Samsung, considering that Samsung is not the only player in the Android market. They may be on the top, but they face significant competition from HTC, and occasionally from LG and Motorola.

In any case, I really don't have to prove anything, as the numbers will speak for themselves. The amount of Galaxy S3 sales will (as usual) pale in comparison to the Iphone 5. (Despite the 9 million pre-orders)

For the record, I own an Android.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »

Actually I was surprised to see how much the s2 was still selling for on Ebay yesterday.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »
Actually I was surprised to see how much the s2 was still selling for on Ebay yesterday.

Cough, cough.

I'm sorry, what?

The s2 is selling used starting at $95 (Sprint), and Brand spanking new starting at $275 (and this is the "buy it now" stuff. The auction stuff is going even cheaper).

Now, let's not even talk about the 4S. The IPHONE 4 - that's right, the phone that was released 2 years ago, is starting USED at $250 - and these are the ones that are slightly broken. A new Iphone 4 STARTS at $425

You wanna talk unlocked?

The GS2 starts unlocked used good condition at $350, the Iphone 4 unlocked poor condition starts at $520.

Now, should we talk about the 4S? ... Let's not even go there.

Senseless Apple hate may be blinding your vision. Go back to Ebay and check again.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:10:14 PM by zale »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »

Will try :P

1. It is irrelevant that Apple doesn't make money on aftermarket sales of hardware (even though they still do from the APP store). The FACT that Apple devices hold their value shows that the CONSUMER holds them highly valuable, and that is all that matters. When a consumer buys an Iphone, he is confident that it will retain its value for quite some time. (Just like smart car buyers used to buy only Japanese cars)[/li][/list]

1. Apple controls the retail pricing on their devices much stronger than Android.
2. Android has lots of manufacturers, and new phones (and major OS updates) being launched all the time. Contrast that with:
3. Apple launches a new iPhone approximately once a year,a dn due to the high-price of the devices (and debatably the small incremental changes) people are willing to buy older devices for a small discount.

2. On your second point, you are incorrect on two grounds: First, Apple keeps grabbing market share from Android and other platform users in large numbers, and the same can't be said the other way around, so they need not concern themselves with customers holding on to their phones. Second, most Apple device owners may not upgrade the first time, but they almost always will upgrade the second time (I.e., 4S owners may not get the 5, but they will most likely get the 5s)

Come again?:

The mere fact that the fanbois fall for the non-incremental iPhone models (WTF is 4s?) is good marketing, but it's subtle proof that apple knows they're not offering anything revolutionary with the updated device. I mean, WTF, Siri (which is software) requires a newer iPhone??

3. I'm not sure how upgrading 6-18 months helps Samsung, considering that Samsung is not the only player in the Android market. They may be on the top, but they face significant competition from HTC, and occasionally from LG and Motorola.

Within Android, people are typically loyal to their preferred flavor (HTC Evo, Moto Droid, Samsung Galaxy etc.).

In any case, Apple is definitely threatened by Android, look at all their recent IP-battle with the Android clan, it's sickening how low they'd stoop to block out the legit competition.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »
On your second point, you are incorrect on two grounds: First, Apple keeps grabbing market share from Android and other platform users in large numbers, and the same can't be said the other way around, so they need not concern themselves with customers holding on to their phones.
LMFAO

Offline zale

• View Profile

Offline sky121

• View Profile
Re: Re: Latest "iPhone 5" Rumor: Apple to reveal release date on Aug 7
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 08:59:14 PM »

Senseless Apple hate may be blinding your vision. Go back to Ebay and check again.

Hey buddy, I see you are really passionate about your phones. I happen to not own a Samsung or an Apple I phone and I happen to think they are both great phone. I'm just telling you what I saw.

Offline zale

• View Profile
Re: Re: Latest "iPhone 5" Rumor: Apple to reveal release date on Aug 7
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 09:12:28 PM »
Hey buddy, I see you are really passionate about your phones. I happen to not own a Samsung or an Apple I phone and I happen to think they are both great phone. I'm just telling you what I saw.

I see.

And you are surprised that The S2 is selling for $95?

I am not that passionate about phones (i'm more passionate about miles), but I've had just about enough of people trying to promote Android and put down Apple.

I own an Evo 3D, and I've tried other Androids, and they don't hold a candle to the Iphone. My wife owns an Iphone, and it simply kicks butt. I am a techy guy, and know all the hacks, and I still find the iphone to be lightyears ahead of Android (not in "Gigahertz" and "screen size", but in pure, practical user experience).

There isn't much vocal defense for Apple around the internet, because actual Apple users have a life, love their phone, and don't care about whining Android fans.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
I see.

And you are surprised that The S2 is selling for $95?

I am not that passionate about phones (i'm more passionate about miles), but I've had just about enough of people trying to promote Android and put down Apple.

I own an Evo 3D, and I've tried other Androids, and they don't hold a candle to the Iphone. My wife owns an Iphone, and it simply kicks butt. I am a techy guy, and know all the hacks, and I still find the iphone to be lightyears ahead of Android (not in "Gigahertz" and "screen size", but in pure, practical user experience).

There isn't much vocal defense for Apple around the internet, because actual Apple users have a life, love their phone, and don't care about whining Android fans.

That wasn't the price I saw but I believe you. Apple users have a life? You're judging a whole people by their phone? Anyways there's plenty of Android users who knock Apple users and plenty of Apple users who knock Android users. Then there are just regular folk who have their negative and positives to both and pick one based on preference. Meanwhile I don't think you should get so worked up about a week piece of technology.

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 09:20:52 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/07/17/apple-report-65-of-phone-owners-plan-to-buy-iphone-next/

You can continue to laugh your FAO until you sully yourself.

Oh, and read this one as well: http://www.businessinsider.com/munster-apple-is-guaranteed-to-sell-80-million-iphone-5s-2012-7

Change your shorts once you finish reading this.
Ho Hum. You shouldve copied and pasted this article 5 times and quoted each one of them to make it seem more impressive...

Nothing personal, I just had a very good laugh. You dont really think these (practically identical) articles would actually convince me, did you?
Start by finding articles proving Ashero's chart is a typo.
 Maybe the future will prove you to be correct but the past tells a pretty strong tale. Makes no difference to me either way, I love my S3 and just dont get the (extreme)  Iphone hype. I will be the first to admit though- their marketing is second to none.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 09:42:17 PM »
1. Apple controls the retail pricing on their devices much stronger than Android.
2. Android has lots of manufacturers, and new phones (and major OS updates) being launched all the time. Contrast that with:
3. Apple launches a new iPhone approximately once a year,a dn due to the high-price of the devices (and debatably the small incremental changes) people are willing to buy older devices for a small discount.

• ...And that can only fly if people actually buy at that "controlled" price. And people are buying alright. People find it valuable regardless of Apple controlling the retail pricing.
  • That's irrelevant. If they were THAT good, they would retain their value. Does the value of a Toyota go down because of Honda? Honda and Toyota are both good, so they both retain their value.
  • What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? This is true for Android phones as well.

Come again?:

lol... How many of those android phones are cheap $99 phones that ignorant people get sold at the Verizon store? How many of them are running Android 2.3?

Get this straight: low-end Androids are the new dumbphones. Dumbphones are not really being manufactured anymore, and low-end Androids are taking their place. This chart says nothing about the "real" smartphone market.

The mere fact that the fanbois fall for the non-incremental iPhone models (WTF is 4s?) is good marketing, but it's subtle proof that apple knows they're not offering anything revolutionary with the updated device. I mean, WTF, Siri (which is software) requires a newer iPhone??

If I had a dime for every time I heard that argument...

I have used the 4 and the 4s, and there is simply no comparison. Releasing Siri early was a mistake, which they are now going to fix big time. And oh are they going to make up for it.

Within Android, people are typically loyal to their preferred flavor (HTC Evo, Moto Droid, Samsung Galaxy etc.).

Did you just make that up?

In any case, Apple is definitely threatened by Android, look at all their recent IP-battle with the Android clan, it's sickening how low they'd stoop to block out the legit competition.

Steve Jobs admitted that Android is a threat. But it's a thread in the same way that Microsoft was a threat. Apple aims for top-notch engineering, and Google aims to get as many devices into people's hands. At the end of the day, this is the consumer's choice, and Apple has no control over that.

As far as "legit competition", are you willing to tell me with a straight face that Samsung did not copy Apple?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 10:40:24 PM »
I hope the iphone 5 Sprint is Cdma/gsm like the 4s. It would be a shame if it wasn't.