Author Topic: Hyatt vs Hilton vs Starwood  (Read 5193 times)

Offline zek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hyatt vs Hilton vs Starwood
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
I'm trying to understand why so many on this site exclusively collect Hyatt and Starwood points for reward nights (ie: what am I missing here?)

Here are the arguments for Hilton:
Ease of earning pts (I can think of at least 6 credit cards (3 different issuers) that offer large signup bonuses; you can get over 350k-400k pts just from this. With Hyatt there is only the Chase card and also the SP total of 2 nights and 50k pts = 4 nights.

I use the Amex card earns 3 pts per $ on regular spending (6x for gas groceries etc) SP card earns only 1.07 pts. Hyatt hotel redemptions are lower but not 3x lower. This doesn't take in to account all the 6x spending categories the Amex has.  SPG only has 2 CCs total 50k pts. Isn't that one night in a top level hotel?

Hilton has more hotels in more locations. Hyatt and SPG top hotels are probably a bit nicer and SPG pts can be converted to miles at a decent rate but miles are easily obtained through other means. Anyone

Offline ATC

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Waldorf Astoria/ Hilton Points?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:23:44 PM »
Hi
I'm planing a trip in to a Waldorf Astoria hotel and the price for one night for a ocean view suite is around $420.00 per night, and they told me that if i have Hilton points then i will need to have 165000 points for one night, Does anyone know if that makes any seance? Is there any card that i can open and get Hilton points/how many?

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Re: Waldorf Astoria/ Hilton Points?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »
Hi
I'm planing a trip in to a Waldorf Astoria hotel and the price for one night for a ocean view suite is around $420.00 per night, and they told me that if i have Hilton points then i will need to have 165000 points for one night, Does anyone know if that makes any seance? Is there any card that i can open and get Hilton points/how many?
Not at all worth it. HH points are worth at least .6 or .8 points.
But you can accumulate a few hundred thousand points pretty easily. Google it and you'll see how in a few different travel blogs.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »
Very rare for them to be worth .8 cents, though I'm sure there are a few hotels where they are.

If they were consistently worth that much they wouldn't ever sell them for under .5 cents.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »
Very rare for them to be worth .8 cents, though I'm sure there are a few hotels where they are.

If they were consistently worth that much they wouldn't ever sell them for under .5 cents.
With an AXON reward which is what I always use to redeem Hilton points, they are worth 1.38 cents

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Hyatt vs Hilton vs Starwood
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
With an AXON reward which is what I always use to redeem Hilton points, they are worth 1.38 cents

That's an extreme example.

Take for example 2 comparable hotels, the WA Wailea and the GH Kauai and look at their point requirements and values.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »
That's an extreme example.

Take for example 2 comparable hotels, the WA Wailea and the GH Kauai and look at their point requirements and values.
I think anytime you redeem at WA you are going to be getting a lower rate for your points since I believe you can't use the AXON. The value with Hilton is the Axon rewards, which are very easy to redeem at many top level  properties. Maybe not all comparible to the quality of GH Kauai but some are.

So I disagree that it's extreme.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »
Do you have 10 examples of killer HH redemptions (>1.3 cpp) in as well as outside the US?
B/C with SPG (>2.3 cpp) and HGP (>1.7 cpp) that's easy for standard as well as with aspirational properties.

Offline zek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »
Do you have 10 examples of killer HH redemptions (>1.3 cpp) in as well as outside the US?
B/C with SPG (>2.3 cpp) and HGP (>1.7 cpp) that's easy for standard as well as with aspirational properties.
I haven't traveled a lot outside the US but I imaging there are a good number of hotels that are around $500/night which would put them at around your benchmark of 1.3cpp.

The ones I've been to are Hilton Ocean City and Hilton cancun. I would have to look further to tell you if there are >10. Either way as I stated in the thread you merged with this one, it does seem Hilton pts are at least 3x easier to earn than Hyatt pts.
This is the reason I use Hilton ccs.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »
In my mind, HH is worth .6, HGP is worth 1.7 and SPG is worth 2.3, feel free to give numerous concrete examples to disprove my thoughts as to their value.

Finally on a Freedom card with checking you can earn far more than 3 points per dollar on small purchases and in the rotating categories which can be transferred to HPG or UA, making it a better card for those purchases.

The biggest problem with HH is the games they play.  Constant devaluations, very few standard rooms for points at aspirational hotels, and CS can't compare with SPG or HGP hotels IME.

Offline zek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
In my mind, HH is worth .6, HGP is worth 1.7 and SPG is worth 2.3, feel free to give numerous concrete examples to disprove my thoughts as to their value.

Finally on a Freedom card with checking you can earn far more than 3 points per dollar on small purchases and in the rotating categories which can be transferred to HPG or UA, making it a better card for those purchases.

The biggest problem with HH is the games they play.  Constant devaluations, very few standard rooms for points at aspirational hotels, and CS can't compare with SPG or HGP hotels IME.
I will look in to it and try to give you some examples.
As far as chase checking -unfortunately they don't allow anyone with a Maryland address to sign up. I've tried multiple times.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »

Are they ever sold for under .5? (Besides for the AMEX travel deals when they were close to that)

I think the OP makes a good point. Accumulating HH points are the easiest. Besides the 6x, you can accumulate another 15x when booking with them, and they often have other bonus's. So while the other chains offer better bang for the buck, HH allows you to accumulate the largest amount of 'bucks'. Particularly when you factor in the transfer options from VA and HA.

Offline ATC

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »
I'm trying to understand why so many on this site exclusively collect Hyatt and Starwood points for reward nights (ie: what am I missing here?)

Here are the arguments for Hilton:
Ease of earning pts (I can think of at least 6 credit cards (3 different issuers) that offer large signup bonuses; you can get over 350k-400k pts just from this. With Hyatt there is only the Chase card and also the SP total of 2 nights and 50k pts = 4 nights.

I use the Amex card earns 3 pts per $ on regular spending (6x for gas groceries etc) SP card earns only 1.07 pts. Hyatt hotel redemptions are lower but not 3x lower. This doesn't take in to account all the 6x spending categories the Amex has.  SPG only has 2 CCs total 50k pts. Isn't that one night in a top level hotel?

Hilton has more hotels in more locations. Hyatt and SPG top hotels are probably a bit nicer and SPG pts can be converted to miles at a decent rate but miles are easily obtained through other means. Anyone

Hi can you tell me witch cards you are talking about that gives you 350K-400K?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Hyatt vs Hilton vs Starwood
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »
Hi can you tell me witch cards you are talking about that gives you 350K-400K?
All the versions of
Citi Hilton and
Amex Hilton together

Plus other cards like Virgin Atlantic for example which can transfer to Hilton.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline ATC

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 04:30:28 PM »
Are you sure about the 350k-400k? I only see offers like the Citi Hilton for 40k.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Hyatt vs Hilton vs Starwood
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 04:36:09 PM »
Are you sure about the 350k-400k? I only see offers like the Citi Hilton for 40k.

It's all the cards total.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline zek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 04:51:57 PM »
virgin atlantic = 100k
hilt amex = 60k
upgrade to surpass = 50k (no additional hard pull)
boa haw. airlines = 70k
boh 70k
citi hilton = 50k

that's 400k

Offline ATC

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 05:30:14 PM »
Thanks so much!!

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »
And it appears that the HA and VA cards are churnable, and are through a smaller issuer, so you can save pulls from the main issuers.