Author Topic: Israel ordeal  (Read 1775 times)

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Israel ordeal
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:27:11 AM »
Saw this and my hair raised on the back of my neck

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/planereality/2011/06/21/security-ordeal-leaving-tel-aviv-profiling/comment-page-1/#comment-5677

Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv is very well known for a high level of security. One security technique widely and openly used is racial profiling.  Little did I realize one race that would be profiled would be a 6′ white American with a bunch of stamps in his passport wearing khakis and a wrinkled sport coat… ME!    I was definitely surprised with the amount of scrutiny I received, trying to leave Israel.  Maybe I am just naive about these things.

What I have since been told by friends and colleagues is that, in certain instances, Americans, it  may be assumed, are travelling in Israel to support Palestinian causes.  I mean, yes, I considered spending my time in Israel getting involved in some shady, underground activities in order to insert myself into the middle of a 1000+ year old  conflict, but I opted for some light sightseeing and good meals instead.

Before I could check in for my flight, my passport was inspected by 2 security guards, who asked me a series of questions with regard to my luggage, my current travel plans and essentially all previous trips I have ever taken, only a portion of which I can recall clearly.   The 2 guards then asked me to stay put.  They went and found their superior who came over asked me several specific questions about my travels to Dubai.  Finally, I was allowed to pass only to the face the real security.

My luggage was tagged with a stickers that each had a series of numbers on them.  The first number in the series (mine was 5) indicated which security screening line to the enter.  After the normal removal of pocket contents and passing through a metal detector, I was asked, for what would be the first of several times: “What time does your flight depart”

Several different security guards and their supervisors, proceed to unpack and test the entire contents of my luggage with explosive detecting devices and other insturments I had never seen before.  Even my dirty clothes were inspected.  After that my entire camera bag and laptop went through the same routine.  It was then requested that I turn on my laptop and start a program.  I opened an Excel document and that was met with blank stares after which the guards conferred with each other.

Security took their sweet ass time through out this process.  Again, asking me several times when my flight left, almost to be sure to use each available minute to intimidate me.  Finally I was cleared to pass, but first had to re-pack my bags, as my belongings were strewn across a long metal table.
Boarding was under way when I reached the gate.

This was my first trip to Tel Aviv and I am assuming nobody gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to security. Nor do I think I deserved it, but my patience wore thin during this ordeal.  Mainly because I missed the opportunity to stroll around the airport and visit a lounge or 2.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Hotels and cars in Israel
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »
can u please only post in one place not 3

Offline myb821

• View Profile
Re: Re: Hotels and cars in Israel
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:55 AM »
and you cant post links to competing websites

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Hotels and cars in Israel
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:15:53 AM »
Where are rules n regulations listed for this site ?????, so i can follow them

Offline myb821

• View Profile

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Re: Israel ordeal
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:25:57 AM »
why did you post this 3 times?

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »
I hope you realize that we can't help you in this situation ;-) Nor are we connected in any way shape or form to Israeli security.

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »
The post seems paranoid or something. I wasn't there but I have flown in/out/through TLV many many times and observed the behavoiour of the security and other personnel. Never have I seen anything offensive or abusive etc. that is claimed here - that they did it just to intimidate the writer. They are always pleasant and calm.  :P

Chill!
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline dpeikes

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:37:17 AM »
I have flown through TLV many times, and what you are describing sounds like the rule not the exception.  Yes, they may have paid slightly more attention to you due to the fact that you had stamps from Dubai.  If you were flying ElAl this is a fairly regular thing.  I have been going back and forth from ORD to TLV since I was a little kid and was subject to that kind of security pre 9/11 when I was still in elementry school.