Author Topic: Baggage Allowances When Using Multiple Carriers  (Read 15476 times)

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Baggage Allowances When Using Multiple Carriers
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:01:03 PM »
I've done some research lately as to how the baggage allowances work when using connecting flights and multiple carriers and I thought people could benefit from what I have learned.

-When using two carriers, the one taking you over the Atlantic is the governing carrier (I don't know how flights to Asia from Europe work)

-The governing carrier's baggage policy dictates. For example, if you are flying from NYC to TLV with a stopover in Madrid and using Iberia Airlines from NYC to MAD and ElAl from MAD to TLV- you would be allowed 2 bags of 50lbs* even though ElAl only allows 1 bag to/from Europe.

-Even if one airline is checking you in, they will enforce not their policy, but the governing carrier's policy and extra bag/overweight charges**

*Iberia has just changed their policy to one bag as of 3/1/10, but you get the idea
**An AA rep told me the secondary airline will collect baggage fees for the other airline- I find that hard to believe- any thoughts?

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Baggage Allowances When Using Multiple Carriers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:57:41 PM »
 dont know as per your example it seems youd say that ElAl will allow you 2 bags to MAD on your return since IB would from MAD over the Ocean.

I always understood it that it ALL rests with what the 1st Carriers policy is. BTW usually till now its been 2 bags for everyone over the atlantic but DL and a few others have cahnged that to 1 free only. DL has 2 free to TLV.

also it depends if everything is on 1 tkt or if you purchased 2 or more tkts,( US-MAD-US the 2nd tkt MAD-TLV-MAD) then usually when you check in its agood chance you bags will be tagged only as far as the tkt is made out for, thou its easier to get them tagged all the way thru when starting in the US and if its a partner to the Carrier you are starting with. Alot harder to get TLV to tag them all the way thru rather then just to wherever it is in Europe you are flying to on that tkt

till now it wasnt that the secondary carrier will go with the Governings Carriers policy But rather if any part of the tkt was for a flight over the Atlantic.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »
I got all this info from several different AA reps. I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate and that's why I wanted to post. I could see the ElAL reps saying "we don't care what AA told you" for sure.

However, I am talking about connecting flights and not stopovers (meaning 1 ticket). Most carriers- brussels, Finair, AA (at least OneWorld carriers I checked) from Europe only allow 1 bag now. I think Iberia was the last to allow two free bags. So with the rules I layed out, if you are using ElAl to go to connect in any destination in Europe and then are taking AA across the water- AA's policy would go. That makes a big difference, because ElAl's policy on a second bag to Europe is 1.5% of a Y class ticket per kilo which is like $15 per kilo or $300 for a 20kg bag, while AA is only $50 for a second bag. Unless you are saying that since ElAl would be tagging them to NYC they would apply their 2 free bag policy? That's a great question.

Anyone else have any experience with that situation?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »
I was always under the impression that only the first flight matters and you are subject to their rules for the flight you are on, but YMMV.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
usually there are flight to and from the usa, and all other flights.

all other flights are usually 20kg (1 piece),and sometimes 23kg.

to the united states you have some carriers that allow 2 pieces. t needs to be obviously a connecting flight.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:19:28 PM »
I was always under the impression that only the first flight matters and you are subject to their rules for the flight you are on, but YMMV.

Do you mean the first Airline's baggage rules to the first connection city or the final destination?

Meaning, if going AA to Toronto and then LY to TLV will it be AA's policy to Toronto or to the Middle East? Either way, AA told me it's LY's policy the whole way through.

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 06:39:07 PM »

This is true when dealing with Domestic tkts/flights only or if more then 1 tkt is involved.

So U have a CO tkt CLE-YYZ-ATL-CLE with CLE-YYZ on CO and YYZ-ATL on DL & ATL-CLE on CO then its COs rules to YYZ & DLs from YYZ.

now in between you have an ElAl flight to TLV on a different tkt, then even thou you are allowed 2 bags on ElAl both CO & DL couldnt care less as its a different tkt.

Now if its 1 tkt CO to YYZ and ElAl to TLV then even w/o status or a DC or a CC CO should let the person take 2 bags since its an over the Atlantic tkt

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 06:43:25 PM »
Do you mean the first Airline's baggage rules to the first connection city or the final destination?

Meaning, if going AA to Toronto and then LY to TLV will it be AA's policy to Toronto or to the Middle East? Either way, AA told me it's LY's policy the whole way through.

there are various Rules, the main question is where is the final Destination and will be there a stop over on the way and for how long, I think anything over 24 hrs means the Carrier wont hold your bags and you will need to claim them and recheck them in and then the rules for an over the Atlantic tkt no longer is in place, but rather those for Europe to Israel which has its own set of rules and limitations

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 12:02:55 AM »
Booked a business ticket using CO miles flying EWR-LHR (CO), day and a half stopover, LHR-ZRH-TLV (Swiss).
I called and asked about baggage allowance and was told since the flight is in BusinessFirst I'm allowed 3×70 pounds. I asked if this would apply to the LHR-ZRH-TLV flight and she said positively yes.
Does BusinessFirst really get 3×70 pounds?
And is there a chance that Swiss may not honour CO's rules?

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 12:16:53 AM »
Booked a business ticket using CO miles flying EWR-LHR (CO), day and a half stopover, LHR-ZRH-TLV (Swiss).
I called and asked about baggage allowance and was told since the flight is in BusinessFirst I'm allowed 3×70 pounds. I asked if this would apply to the LHR-ZRH-TLV flight and she said positively yes.

as a Plat I get 3 x 70lbs even if Im flying in Coach (I think all *Gs get that as well or 2 x 70)

as for LX Id say yep if CO was going to hold onto the bags and interline them, staying for 24+ hrs means you must claim your bags and they should be tagged Only to LHR. @ LHR you will need to recheck in with LX Id be surprised if the allowance was still 3 x 70.

If I was you Id call Swiss and explain what you are thinking about doing and asking them if 3 x 70 will be allowed fee free, Dont tell them you are tkted that way they cant make any note that you were told you cant take 3 if thats the case. Or could be Swiss allows 3 x 70 for its Biz passengers I dont think they do. I always thought once you brake the tkt up with a 24+ stopover you then have to go by the T&Cs of where you are. I hope you Prove me wrong

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 12:17:53 AM »
Yes, BF (and *G) gets 3x70 on CO.
Yes, there's a very strong chance that Swiss won't honor CO's rules.  In fact I'd be surprised if the agent even knows what those rules are, let alone honors them.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 12:24:04 AM »
Yes, BF (and *G) gets 3x70 on CO.
Yes, there's a very strong chance that Swiss won't honor CO's rules.  In fact I'd be surprised if the agent even knows what those rules are, let alone honors them.
What would be the best action to take?
If I get a letter from CO stating their rules and have a copy of the itinerary from CO, any better chance of LX honoring it?

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 12:29:11 AM »
Looks like Im in trouble.
On Swiss.com, Business travelers are allowed 30kg and "For travellers to/from the USA, Canada, South America and Cameroon and for holders of a Round-the-World-Ticket from Star Alliance: 2 pieces."

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 12:32:07 AM »
If you get it from CO in writing, even if LX doesn't honor, I would assume CO would have to reimburse whatever fee LX charges you.
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 12:42:40 AM »
Looks like Im in trouble.
On Swiss.com, Business travelers are allowed 30kg and "For travellers to/from the USA, Canada, South America and Cameroon and for holders of a Round-the-World-Ticket from Star Alliance: 2 pieces."

and unfortunately unlike US Carriers the Europeans charge an arm and a leg and even more if its overweight and 70lbs will be way overweight

if you can make your stopover to <24 hrs then LX will have to take the 3 bags CO gives to them w/o charging you for them!

I personally wouldnt think LX would give a hoot whatever CO put into writing and I doubt youd get anyone @ CO to actually write it up for you . Yea you might beable to tangle with CO if LX charges and you have something in writing from them but as I said I highly doubt anyone will be willing to write you such a letter. they are simply trying to get you off the phone ASAP so they get good ratings. I dont think they outright Lied to you but they just didnt want to have you on the line while they had to go find out and then end up with a very lengthy call against them.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 12:45:54 AM »
If you send an email to CO customer service you should get something back in writing that will come in handy if it comes to a chargeback.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 12:49:03 AM »
Here are the fees for Swiss but which category is ZRH-TLV in?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 01:04:49 AM »
Here are the fees for Swiss but which category is ZRH-TLV in?

I changed the Country to rest of the World and UK and it still didnt show Europe-TLV

but 1 thing for sure they will hit you as I said they would seems for both a 3rd bag and then for overweight on that 3rd bag, Call Swiss up and ask them to be sure, then will it be GBP,CHP,EUR or USD meaning if you give them a CC that isnt in the currency they will be charging you in youd get hit for FOREX as well on the total charge

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/excess_baggage/Pages/piece_concept.aspx?1282021364476&Country=ROW

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 05:52:36 AM »
Unless you are handsome and traveling alone, forget about it.

LX will NOT honor it.

If the DON'T charge you, I pay for it. ;-)

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:59 AM »
Now Im really getting the run arounds.
First call to Swiss, we honor the rules of CO. So I asked for a written confirmation and and am told that cant be done, since Im on a CO ticket I must call CO. Called CO and they said 3 bags all the way through but just check with Swiss. Called back Swiss, 2 bags, nothing to talk about...and from Europe they dont charge by piece rather its 10 euro/kilo...ouch...