Author Topic: 9 Days siyum!  (Read 12783 times)

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: 9 Days siyum!
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2012, 12:23:37 AM »
the tapatalk sig is worse than not eating meat for 9 or even 5 days!  :P
Sorry, sorry! I got a new phone and in the process of setting it all up - changing the setting on tapatalk slipped my mind. I changed it when I realized (right after that post). Truth is though, with your original annoying usernames, I don't know if you are one to talk   ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 12:59:01 AM »
See Koshershaver.org for a detailed overview of the different views on shaving and the use of electric shavers.
I skimmed but I didn't see once where he quotes either Rav Eliyashiv or Rav Schach who I've seen letters from both of them against shaving with anything... See a sefer called Hadras Panim Zakan where both above mentioned poskim/gedolim who lived after Reb Moshe give letters of approbation fr the sefer and banning any type of shaving. Not interested in a debate here and I haven't learned that much on the subject just read here and there, but if your interested look it up :)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 01:04:39 AM »

I skimmed but I didn't see once where he quotes either Rav Eliyashiv or Rav Schach who I've seen letters from both of them against shaving with anything... See a sefer called Hadras Panim Zakan where both above mentioned poskim/gedolim who lived after Reb Moshe give letters of approbation fr the sefer and banning any type of shaving. Not interested in a debate here and I haven't learned that much on the subject just read here and there, but if your interested look it up :)
Correct, it doesn't mention Rav Elyashiv or Rav Shach. I referenced the article to mention Rav Moshe Feinstein's shitta although the Gedolei Eretz Yisroel were opposed to it.
Based on this thesis, Rav Moshe permitted the use of shavers since they function as scissors, utilizing two blades to cut. The inner blade does not cut by itself, and must be assisted by the outer screen of the shaver. The screen traps a hair within it, and as the inner blade approaches it, the hair rubs along the side of the screen and they both cut the hair simultaneously.28

Although this was Rav Moshe’s primary heter to permit the use of shavers, he had an additional approach that followed a similar line of reasoning. He maintained that the only type of instrument that is prohibited, is one that most people use when they wish to achieve a close shave; all other instruments are permitted. Since most non-Jews use razors when they desire a close shave, all other instruments are therefore permitted. However, if for arguments sake, the general custom would change and people would only use shavers even if they desired a very close cut, razors would be permitted and shavers would be forbidden.29

The Conclusion on Using Ordinary Electric Shavers

In conclusion, the Chazon Ish, the Steipler Gaon, and many other poskim prohibited the use of all electric shavers. Rav Yosef Eliyahu Henkin, Rav Moshe Feinstein, and other poskim permitted the use of ordinary electric shavers albeit for two different reasons.30

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2012, 01:05:39 AM »
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/22982
Anyone from Lakewood with a Costco membership wanna hook me up with a bag?

Offline SamDaMan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 9 Days siyum!
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 02:03:14 AM »
Sorry, sorry! I got a new phone and in the process of setting it all up - changing the setting on tapatalk slipped my mind. I changed it when I realized (right after that post). Truth is though, with your original annoying usernames, I don't know if you are one to talk   ;)
haha! Np and fyi I also once posted with the tapatalk sig...so I guess I really am not the one to talk!
But I'm still proud to be from clev!

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 01:22:39 AM »
I can't believe people make a big deal about 5 days of not meat.
I love meat as much as the next guy, but it's just not a big deal, there are just so many awesome milchig dishes, no reason to feel deprived.
I personally don't eat any fish or milk products other than pizza sometimes, so I find the 9 days extremely hard. But I guess that's what the 9 days are all about. I'm lucky if i get one siyum.
And no, Shavuos is not my favorite yom tov! ;D

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »
I personally don't eat any fish or milk products other than pizza sometimes, so I find the 9 days extremely hard. But I guess that's what the 9 days are all about. I'm lucky if i get one siyum.
And no, Shavuos is not my favorite yom tov! ;D
What do you eat, eggs and bread?
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline doodley

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 02:43:56 PM »
I'm dying to eat fleishigs tonight. Does anyone know of someone making a siyum in Brooklyn or the city tonight ?Or else if anyone wants to make a siyum for me I'll take u out to Le Marais!
I heard rumors that duvid crockett is making a siyum tonight along with reb moshe. Please let all dd forum members know where and when

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »
Sorry guys, I happened upon this (No I don't follow her on twitter) and couldn't resist posting.

Paris Jackson tweeted today that she is observing the 9 days and vowed to B'ezras Hashem avenge the destruction of the B"H!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:53:50 PM by MarkS »

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2012, 01:00:10 AM »
What do you eat, eggs and bread?
In the 9 days?
Potatoes, knishes, pizza, falafel, ect.

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 11:30:33 AM »
In the 9 days?
Potatoes, knishes, pizza, falafel, ect.
I feel your pain. I eat lasagna ziti pizza keesh (however you spell it.) etc.
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser