Author Topic: Kansas City Master Thread  (Read 22197 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Kansas City Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2019, 09:01:26 AM »
Yes.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2019, 09:04:52 AM »
Thanks. Any specific hotel recommendations? What about breakfast/lunch options?
I'm not familiar with the hotel scene. I know there are Hyatt Place hotels that should do the trick in overland Park.

Marriott Autograph Raphael at the Plaza is a gem, but far from kosher.

Meshugah for breakfast, sushi from hen house for lunch, fried chicken from hen house for dinner?

I don't think hen house still makes smoked meat, but it was amazing when they did.
@Yordai Dooma
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2019, 10:25:31 AM »
I'm not familiar with the hotel scene. I know there are Hyatt Place hotels that should do the trick in overland Park.

Meshugah for breakfast, sushi from hen house for lunch, fried chicken from hen house for dinner?

I don't think hen house still makes smoked meat, but it was amazing when they did.
@Yordai Dooma
Their smoked meats were indeed amazing. Alot of turn over in staff there and they became so unreliable that i stopped going there...i just bring my own food whenever im headed that way.

http://www.kcjc.com/index.php/current-news/latest-news/5700-kosher-in-motion-ellenberg-experience-catering-puts-food-truck-into-action
I wonder how we can know where the truck will be and when

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2019, 10:41:55 AM »
Their smoked meats were indeed amazing. Alot of turn over in staff there and they became so unreliable that i stopped going there...i just bring my own food whenever im headed that way.
I wonder how we can know where the truck will be and when
Is the fried chicken and sushi no longer consistently available?

Offline ltttc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2019, 10:43:04 AM »

care to explain?

@Yordai Dooma
care to explain

Offline ltttc

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2019, 10:51:10 AM »
care to explain

woops. Care to explain

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2019, 10:53:30 AM »
woops. Care to explain
What's the confusion? It's a nice hotel but is geographically distant from kosher food.

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2019, 12:21:12 PM »
Only the Meshugah location on Metcalf is pas yisrael if that matters to you. There's been a lot of turnover and lot of politics with local kashrus. I believe the guy who used to run the kosher counter at Hen House who made it reliable both in terms of kashrus and good food is no longer there, not sure the current situation since I was last there in June. We usually bring most of our own food for short stays.

If you want minyan, the only weekday option is BIAV, so you'd want one of the chain hotels near the Overland Park Convention Center. If you want to be near the pretty part of town, look into the Plaza or Crown Center areas.

Offline ltttc

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2019, 01:01:54 PM »
Thanks

Offline ltttc

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2019, 01:16:33 PM »
Only the Meshugah location on Metcalf is pas yisrael if that matters to you. There's been a lot of turnover and lot of politics with local kashrus. I believe the guy who used to run the kosher counter at Hen House who made it reliable both in terms of kashrus and good food is no longer there, not sure the current situation since I was last there in June. We usually bring most of our own food for short stays.

If you want minyan, the only weekday option is BIAV, so you'd want one of the chain hotels near the Overland Park Convention Center. If you want to be near the pretty part of town, look into the Plaza or Crown Center areas.
Which is the Metcalf location?

Offline AVI D

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2019, 05:50:48 AM »
Is the fried chicken and sushi no longer consistently available?
Still available. Just picked up this week. I was able to call it in advanced since my flight was landing after they close. They made it fresh and put aside for me.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2019, 08:00:58 AM »
Nice!

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2019, 10:07:13 AM »
Which is the Metcalf location?

7096 W. 105th Street Overland Park, KS 66212
Sorry, the address is officially not on Metcalf, but as you'll see on Google Maps, it's just off Metcalf, which is one of the main streets in town, and how the locals refer to it.

Offline ltttc

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2019, 04:15:31 PM »
Thanks e/o for all your help. Ended up staying at the Raphael - (premier suite) -was truly beautiful! Did mostly stuff mentioned in Wiki, so I'll only add the following:
I love presidential museums and would've loved to go to Truman's, however it was closed for reno. Did a tour of Truman's house instead, which was great as the tour guide was really knowledgeable and entertaining. Best of all, as of this year, it's free. (Interesting that they don't allow any pics in the house, as opposed to Jackson's house in Nashville- which is older, yet allowed)
Also, if you'd like food f/Hen House, I highly recommend calling in 24 hours prior, or at least the morning of...I went at about 3 pm and it was too late to order a/t specific. Luckily there was enough food in the fridge and warmer and the guy at the counter is really nice and willing to please, but would've been nice to order specifics. Food was ok and surprisingly super cheap (Shnitzel, roasted potatoes, cole slaw, smoked bottoms- for 2, and salmon for next day -all for under $30!)
Meshuggah bagles is n/t to go meshuggah about. Food pretty bland IMHO, although not complaining- always nice to grab a bite s/where.
My personal opinion on Scheels Flagship: With kids, you can prob spend lots of time there, w/o- you def don't need more than an hour (we were there for about 1/2 hr)
There's skating at Crown Center and large mall there and about 3 min away is Union Center - had diff interesting exhibits up at this time of yr.
Wanted to do the Money Museum at the Federal Reserve -(another of my favorites/ Went to the one in Atlanta and loved it) however United cancelled my flight and spent time trying to arrange alternate routes (Ended up pretty much demanding to be put on a Delta flight, as that was the only route/timing...which worked for me. They did that...and I got $200 United voucher too!)
So I guess, I'll have to stop by again if I'd like to visit the Fed Res there.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2019, 05:03:21 PM »
Fried chicken at HH is great when fresh.
Federal Reserve is cool.
Scheels is amazing with kids.
Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead is amazing with kids.
Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and the WW1 museum worth visiting.

I still have yet to go to the National Airline History Museum, the TWA museum, or the National Museum of Toys and Miniatures. Anyone been?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »
Fried chicken at HH is great when fresh.
Federal Reserve is cool.
Scheels is amazing with kids.
Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead is amazing with kids.
Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and the WW1 museum worth visiting.

I still have yet to go to the National Airline History Museum, the TWA museum, or the National Museum of Toys and Miniatures. Anyone been?
Anyone want to wikify the stuff mentioned over the past few pages?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »
TWA Museum is amazing.
And our guide, Ray, was phenomenal! He was a TWA flight engineer, instructor, and captain. Knew the answers to every question my kids asked. And he taught my kids how to fly the Connie simulator from MKC to MCI. So cool!

The airline history museum is closed for the month though :(

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2020, 11:07:23 PM »
TWA Museum is amazing.
And our guide, Ray, was phenomenal! He was a TWA flight engineer, instructor, and captain. Knew the answers to every question my kids asked. And he taught my kids how to fly the Connie simulator from MKC to MCI. So cool!

The airline history museum is closed for the month though :(
Did you get any TWA memorabilia?

Online jose34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2022, 11:28:00 PM »

Is this still accurate do they still have daily minyanim?
Can it be relied upon for a minyan?