Topic Wiki

Ok so my rule of determining the level of difficulty in data recovery is really 2 questions.
#1 -  is it making any noise
#2 -  is it detected in the bios if you connect it directly to the mobo

If the answer to #1 is yes - then if you want any hopes of recovering the data do not attempt to continue powering it on. It can be making noise because the heads are broken or bent and if that's the case you will scrape the platters and kill the drive beyond any hope of recovery. (data recovery isn't like the way they show it in the movies you cannot actually remove a platter and recover any data off it) And please do not attempt the Freezer Trick - it doesn't work on current drives anymore and actually introduces condensation in the drive that can kill the platters.
If its detected in the bios we can try a couple of things - and i can usually recover the data for about $250 - $799 - over 50% of the time its about $300.

DH Data Recovery

« Last edited by etech0 on November 08, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »

Author Topic: Data Recovery - Any Questions?  (Read 175365 times)

Offline DH Data Recovery

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
Re: Data Recovery - Any Questions?
« Reply #400 on: February 23, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »
Thanks will do if I don't get use to this. I hear with 8.1 that Start button comes back and you can have it boot right to the desktop?
Yes but not entirely...
You can always use the Windows key + D to get to a regular Windows 7 desktop.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 23, 2014, 08:19:17 PM »
Download iobit start menu 8
+1
I mentioned this many times here as well, this helps some people acclimate to the Windows 8 format by having both options the classic Windows look or the newer "Metro" look with all the apps.

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 23, 2014, 08:32:31 PM »
+1
I mentioned this many times here as well, this helps some people acclimate to the Windows 8 format by having both options the classic Windows look or the newer "Metro" look with all the apps.

Forget about acclimating. I haven't looked at the metro view with the apps since I downloaded it

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 23, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »
Many people want to get used to the Windows 8 Experience too.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #404 on: February 23, 2014, 08:39:27 PM »
Many people want to get used to the Windows 8 Experience too.
+1
what I did.
I uninstalled the start menu after a few months with 8.1
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 18, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »
Anybody have experience recovering deleted files from an android phone internal memory?
Or anybody have experience with cygwin and adb shell in general?

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 19, 2014, 10:45:13 AM »
Anybody have experience recovering deleted files from an android phone internal memory?
Or anybody have experience with cygwin and adb shell in general?
update in case anyone is interested
I managed to use cygwin/adb to copy the data partition on the phones internal storage. It saved it as raw drive data and then I  converted it to a VHD
i mounted the drive and formatted in fat32. Then I was able to scan it with recuva
Question. Most of the images I recovered were low res, is that because I did something wrong?  Should I bother trying different software?
Also any way to scan raw data so I don't have to format it as fat?

Offline AnonymousUser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 19, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »
Maybe you only found the thumbnails?
What format was the raw data? Which file system is the internal storage using?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 19, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »
I would use get data back or rstudio rather than recuva

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 19, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »
Also you don't need to convert the raw data file with rstudio...  You can just mount it as an image file.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #410 on: March 19, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »
I think some people need help recovering deleted files from a flight simulator, anyone here who can help out? :P

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 19, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »
Maybe you only found the thumbnails?
Possibly. Would those also be jpg or PNG?
What format was the raw data? Which file system is the internal storage using?
not sure. I extracted the data in a .raw file. I think its called a direct binary disk image
The internal storage uses EXT4 iinm
Also you don't need to convert the raw data file with rstudio...  You can just mount it as an image file.
thanks. Maybe I'll try that
Also have you ever heard of diskdigger?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:52:52 PM by smurf »

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #412 on: March 24, 2014, 12:55:05 AM »
Hi,

My external hard drive (1tb) was completely deleted by mistake. I need a recovery program that will get me back the files the same order they were before. Do you know anything?

Also my main laptop is a mac so it would be better if something works for mac, but windows is also fine.

Thanks

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 24, 2014, 01:03:35 AM »
Hi,

My external hard drive (1tb) was completely deleted by mistake. I need a recovery program that will get me back the files the same order they were before. Do you know anything?

Also my main laptop is a mac so it would be better if something works for mac, but windows is also fine.

Thanks
1.  Do NOT plug in the hard drive to your computer before you are ready to do revovery.
2.  If you are a DIY then buy a data revovery software.  If it was a simple delete or format, you should be ok, provided the drive was not used since then.
3.  If you are not a DIY, or the data is very critical, get it done professionaly - give DH a call.

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #414 on: March 24, 2014, 01:24:47 AM »
well I already plugged it a couple times... (it was deleted a while ago, but I didn't need the stuff for a while so... laziness)

what's DIY?

I'm not exactly sure what happened but apparently it was a simple delete and there was no file added on it after it was deleted

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 24, 2014, 01:42:13 AM »
well I already plugged it a couple times... (it was deleted a while ago, but I didn't need the stuff for a while so... laziness)

what's DIY?

I'm not exactly sure what happened but apparently it was a simple delete and there was no file added on it after it was deleted
Do It Yourself

Offline milechazzer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 25, 2014, 02:00:39 PM »
I have hard drive from an old laptop that I am trying to recover the data from. I powered it up and plugged it in to my desktop using a Rowewill USB/SATA connector. The drive seems to be spinning when I power it up, and initially when I plugged it into my desktop (through USB), it eventually detected the drive, but didn't show any files, and prompted me to format the drive (I didn't).  I just tried to plug it in again through USB, and now the desktop seems to be trying to detect the laptop drive, but is freezing/not responding on the "My Computer" screen.

Would appreciate any low cost suggestions to try to access/recover the data on this drive. Should I try connecting it to the desktop via SATA (instead of USB)? Anything else?

thx

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 25, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
I have hard drive from an old laptop that I am trying to recover the data from. I powered it up and plugged it in to my desktop using a Rowewill USB/SATA connector. The drive seems to be spinning when I power it up, and initially when I plugged it into my desktop (through USB), it eventually detected the drive, but didn't show any files, and prompted me to format the drive (I didn't).  I just tried to plug it in again through USB, and now the desktop seems to be trying to detect the laptop drive, but is freezing/not responding on the "My Computer" screen.

Would appreciate any low cost suggestions to try to access/recover the data on this drive. Should I try connecting it to the desktop via SATA (instead of USB)? Anything else?

thx
IDK your definition of low cost, but DH's priced are very reasonable for data recovery.

You can try another enclosure to try to get the drive readable, then use software to recover the data.  It'll be time consuming, and ymmv.  It is also possible to further damage the drive if you do not know what you are doing.  Having a pro do it is the best way, if you can afford it.

Offline milechazzer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 25, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »
IDK your definition of low cost, but DH's priced are very reasonable for data recovery.

You can try another enclosure to try to get the drive readable, then use software to recover the data.  It'll be time consuming, and ymmv.  It is also possible to further damage the drive if you do not know what you are doing.  Having a pro do it is the best way, if you can afford it.

My understanding is the cost of professional data recovery will start at around $300 (which I'd prefer not to spend).  Should I try to connect it directly to the desktop PC via SATA? What type of enclosure are you referring to, if this is a laptop hard drive? What type of software would you recommend that I try?

thx

Thx.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 25, 2014, 04:41:39 PM »
My understanding is the cost of professional data recovery will start at around $300 (which I'd prefer not to spend).  Should I try to connect it directly to the desktop PC via SATA? What type of enclosure are you referring to, if this is a laptop hard drive? What type of software would you recommend that I try?

thx

Thx.
It doea not hurt to at least call him, he may be a tad cheaper than 300.

You can try another sata to usb, or even try what you have on another computer.  IMO, plugging the hard drive directly into the sata on the mb would not help (and anyways you would need a converter).

Regarding software, I have used Getback NTFS, as well as a number of other programs.  For partition retrieval, format, etc most of the softwate out there will work ok.  IE if the hd is physically damaged enough that the location on the drive that stores partition info cannot be read, but most of the data is intact, these softwares will help.  Anything more, you'll need a pro.