Topic Wiki

Ok so my rule of determining the level of difficulty in data recovery is really 2 questions.
#1 -  is it making any noise
#2 -  is it detected in the bios if you connect it directly to the mobo

If the answer to #1 is yes - then if you want any hopes of recovering the data do not attempt to continue powering it on. It can be making noise because the heads are broken or bent and if that's the case you will scrape the platters and kill the drive beyond any hope of recovery. (data recovery isn't like the way they show it in the movies you cannot actually remove a platter and recover any data off it) And please do not attempt the Freezer Trick - it doesn't work on current drives anymore and actually introduces condensation in the drive that can kill the platters.
If its detected in the bios we can try a couple of things - and i can usually recover the data for about $250 - $799 - over 50% of the time its about $300.

DH Data Recovery

« Last edited by etech0 on November 08, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »

Author Topic: Data Recovery - Any Questions?  (Read 175241 times)

Offline DH Data Recovery

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
Re: Data Recovery - Any Questions?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 09:06:01 AM »
I've seen some of the cheap connectors kill the drive. I've use 4 of the rosewill USB adapters in the past the only negative thing I can say about them is sometimes they stop working after a while, but most of the time they work. The only thing you have to know about some of these adapters is some of them have a specific sequence for the USB to pick up the drive - some of them have to be connected to USB and then to power or vice versa.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 09:24:37 AM »
I've seen some of the cheap connectors kill the drive. I've use 4 of the rosewill USB adapters in the past the only negative thing I can say about them is sometimes they stop working after a while, but most of the time they work. The only thing you have to know about some of these adapters is some of them have a specific sequence for the USB to pick up the drive - some of them have to be connected to USB and then to power or vice versa.

So, I'll ask again: Do you recommend Rosewill as reliable? Yes or no?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
@DH data Recovery How do I know if I need something specific? The screen on my Samsung notebook broke a while back and I never got the data of my hard drive it's just sitting on a shelf. How would you suggest I back it up?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »
My honest answer - Yes it won't damage your drive. No - just like EVERY ONE OF THESE DEVICES it won't last forever and will eventually stop working.
As a side note - when you look at these adapters make sure they have the upward capability of detecting whatever size drive you want to connect i.e 3tb hard drives.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »
@jj1000 - for laptop data drives - you can always use the inside of any portable external hard drive - they usually use better parts than the enclosure and you don't have to use as many wires. All you need is the small green board I side the enclosure and a USB cable. That usually does the trick.

Here is the small print warning though - HARD DRIVES AREN'T VERY FORGIVING! Make sure you don't knock or hit the hard drive or even put it down firmly while the drive is powered and spinning. Always place the drive wherever you will be using it and then power it on and connect the cables. Try not to move a powered hard drive.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »
Todays Update!

Please Please Please if any of you guys are setting up Nas Backup or any type of raid backup DO NOT USE RAID 0
You don not got ANY redundancy or backup from this and it should not even be called RAID!

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »
Todays Update!

Please Please Please if any of you guys are setting up Nas Backup or any type of raid backup DO NOT USE RAID 0
You don not got ANY redundancy or backup from this and it should not even be called RAID!
+1

Leave the Raid 0 for the Gamers.

I have a HD Data  Q'
A friends of mine HD basically stopped working. I have tried connection it with cables directly thru USB, and nothing doing... no movement.
What would you recommend before spending $600+ ?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
Ok so my rule of determining the level of difficulty in data recovery is really 2 questions.

If the answer to #1 is yes - then if you want any hopes of recovering the data do not attempt to continue powering it on. It can be making noise because the heads are broken or bent and if thats the case you will scrape the platters and kill the drive beyond any hope of recovery. (data recovery isnt like the way they show it in the movies you cannot actually remove a platter and recover any data off it) And please do not attempt the Freezer Trick - it doesn't work on current drives anymore and actuall introduces condensation in the drive that can kill the platters.
If its detected in the bios we can try a couple of things - and i can usually recover the data for about $250 - $799 - over 50% of the time its abot $300.

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 08:58:25 PM »

If the answer to #1 is yes - then if you want any hopes of recovering the data do not attempt to continue powering it on. It can be making noise because the heads are broken or bent and if thats the case you will scrape the platters and kill the drive beyond any hope of recovery. (data recovery isnt like the way they show it in the movies you cannot actually remove a platter and recover any data off it) And please do not attempt the Freezer Trick - it doesn't work on current drives anymore and actuall introduces condensation in the drive that can kill the platters.
If its detected in the bios we can try a couple of things - and i can usually recover the data for about $250 - $799 - over 50% of the time its abot $300.
Thnx, will try to see if the Bios picks it up

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 09:05:46 PM »
Anytime - Lemme know if any other questions and I'll try to be of assistance

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 11:44:35 PM »
todays tip - guys an external hard drive is not! a backup if its the only place you have the files! I get this all the time - my backup died, ok so use the original files, this is the original - then it isn't a backup!! And btw interesting piece of info -external hard drives are way inferior to internal drives. Basically when the manufacturers test the drives before they go I to production they use the best ones as internal drives - because they figure that's where you put the important data. The ones that aren't as good are sold as external drives.

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »
todays tip - guys an external hard drive is not! a backup if its the only place you have the files! I get this all the time - my backup died, ok so use the original files, this is the original - then it isn't a backup!! And btw interesting piece of info -external hard drives are way inferior to internal drives. Basically when the manufacturers test the drives before they go I to production they use the best ones as internal drives - because they figure that's where you put the important data. The ones that aren't as good are sold as external drives.
so external drives are made because of "mistakes"?
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 11:46:48 PM »
so external drives are made because of "mistakes"?
kind of like 'export quality'

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
Not really mistakes. Basically when har drive were 40gb - 80gb etc the drives were prob 95% perfect - no bad sectors on the drive. New drives today I would say at least 35% have bad sectors straight out of the box. Now the truth is that hard drives are prepared for bad sectors and they have built in error correction - (this doesnt actually repair the sector, but it marks it as bad so it shouldn't be used and it has a special list telling the drives where the bad sectors are and it will avoid it) this doesnt always work right because if it gets bad sectors where the mft is (mft is kind of an index telling the drive where all the data is and what sectors have data) it wont be able to read the drive (there is a backup mft but they can both fail and ive seen this happen many times).
External drives are usually the drives with more errors or the ones that werent built perfectly and they had to make some changes to correct them.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 06:28:10 AM »
freezer trick worked for me recently. how new do you mean? the hd is about a year old

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 08:22:48 AM »
glad it worked.
what are you referring to in ur question?

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 01:09:11 PM »
@DH DATA, can you start a thread on how to speed up a computer?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »
Sure.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile