Topic Wiki

Ok so my rule of determining the level of difficulty in data recovery is really 2 questions.
#1 -  is it making any noise
#2 -  is it detected in the bios if you connect it directly to the mobo

If the answer to #1 is yes - then if you want any hopes of recovering the data do not attempt to continue powering it on. It can be making noise because the heads are broken or bent and if that's the case you will scrape the platters and kill the drive beyond any hope of recovery. (data recovery isn't like the way they show it in the movies you cannot actually remove a platter and recover any data off it) And please do not attempt the Freezer Trick - it doesn't work on current drives anymore and actually introduces condensation in the drive that can kill the platters.
If its detected in the bios we can try a couple of things - and i can usually recover the data for about $250 - $799 - over 50% of the time its about $300.

DH Data Recovery

« Last edited by etech0 on November 08, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »

Author Topic: Data Recovery - Any Questions?  (Read 175239 times)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Re: Data Recovery - Any Questions?
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »
glad it worked.
what are you referring to in ur question?
on what you said

And please do not attempt the Freezer Trick - it doesn't work on current drives anymore and actuall introduces condensation in the drive that can kill the platters.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »
So here is the deal with the freezer trick
THE PROBLEM  - older hard drives especially pre 2000 used a special lubricant to help the read/write heads move smoothly across the drive. Over time (and sometimes due to heat or other conditions) the lubricant would break down, lose some of its smoothness and sometimes become sticky. What followed was when you would stop using the machine or power it down the read/write heads would get stuck in the broken down lubricant and stop moving when you turn it back on.

THE SOLUTION - People did one of two things to try to recover the data - Both of them CAN ABSOLUTELY damage the drive but it did work part of the time. 1) giving the drive a little knock on the side - WHEN IT'S OFF - sometimes worked. Remember this can also damage the read/write heads especially if they are stuck to the drive and can also cause platter damage if the heads breaks off or gets stuck to the platter and then you power it on. 2) Putting the drive in the freezer sometimes expanded the chip (cold expands) and helped the heads move off the platters so you can recover the data quickly. This can also damage the platters as well by bringing in condesation into the drive and when you take it out of the cold the condesation can move over the platter and the heads will destroy it.

THE FIX - The hard drive Manufacturers solved this issue by introducing a little ramp that the heads park on when they power down as a result 99% of the time the freezer trick will do more harm than good.

Sometimes the freezer trick will still work because changing the temperature in the drive can sometimes alter the situation and help the drive work again - however I would say even in that case dont put the drive in the freezer rather get a really cold surface - (You can get a usb powered cooler) and place the drive on the cool surface to achieve the same temperature withought risking additional damage to the drive.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »
I have a Hard drive which when I connect it, asks me to format, how can I recover data?

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »
I have a Hard drive which when I connect it, asks me to format, how can I recover data?
Runtime software - GetDataBack Free to download and run the recovery

I know someone that has a Key

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
Runtime software - GetDataBack Free to download and run the recovery

I know someone that has a Key

Thanks it was not working before, but now it is :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:15:58 PM by elikay »

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 10:33:31 PM »
sometimes that happens when USB isn't providing enough power.
getdataback is great - just be careful sometimes the format drive message comes up because the drive is dying and can't read the mft or the beginning of the drive. Scanning with software my sometimes damage it more I just had a really bad case like that

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 10:51:34 PM »
sometimes that happens when USB isn't providing enough power.
getdataback is great - just be careful sometimes the format drive message comes up because the drive is dying and can't read the mft or the beginning of the drive. Scanning with software my sometimes damage it more I just had a really bad case like that
what would you suggest?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2012, 11:03:18 PM »
My honest Recommendation is as follows.

If the data isn't critical (movies, downloads etc) play around with get data back, many times it can work and recover data even from a damaged drive.

If the data is critical -
Get data back added a new feature in the latest version, upon the recommendation of one of my colleagues. They have an option called quickscan - this is a great feature. Instead of canning the entire drive for data (which kills the drive when its failing!!) it uses the mft - which is a part of the hard drive that keeps a record of all the files and directories. This help you see in a few seconds if it detects your files. If it does - continue, and recover all your data. If it doesn't I recommend not letting it scan the entire drive for data, this sometimes really kills the drive! Its a chance I wouldn't take with critical data.
I'm not saying this because I want you do bring me the recoveries. I've seen this happen too often. Most technicians that send me data recoveries these days have learnt and we have an agreement they don't mess with drive and I give then better prices:)

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2012, 11:17:28 PM »
Thanks the person who owns the drive needed a couple of files of it. It was not worth the hassle and they just redid the job. Thanks so much for the info.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 11:22:04 PM by elikay »

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2012, 11:20:26 PM »
Anytime

Offline jack12

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2012, 10:26:53 PM »
My honest Recommendation is as follows.

If the data isn't critical (movies, downloads etc) play around with get data back, many times it can work and recover data even from a damaged drive.

If the data is critical -
Get data back added a new feature in the latest version, upon the recommendation of one of my colleagues. They have an option called quickscan - this is a great feature. Instead of canning the entire drive for data (which kills the drive when its failing!!) it uses the mft - which is a part of the hard drive that keeps a record of all the files and directories. This help you see in a few seconds if it detects your files. If it does - continue, and recover all your data. If it doesn't I recommend not letting it scan the entire drive for data, this sometimes really kills the drive! Its a chance I wouldn't take with critical data.
I'm not saying this because I want you do bring me the recoveries. I've seen this happen too often. Most technicians that send me data recoveries these days have learnt and we have an agreement they don't mess with drive and I give then better prices:)

GetDataBack:
It's $79 here - http://download.cnet.com/GetDataBack-for-NTFS/3000-2242_4-10061737.html
It's $69 here http://www.laptopmag.com/best-data-recovery-software/getdataback-review.aspx and here http://data-recovery-software-review.toptenreviews.com/getdataback-review.html

Any reason to buy it from cnet for more $?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »
same thing, they both take you to runtime software which is the company that developed and sells getdataback

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
what happened to your drive?

Offline jack12

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2012, 01:18:03 PM »
what happened to your drive?

The computer stopped reading it. It says that it needs to be reformatted.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2012, 02:20:35 PM »
My Lenovo G470's screen stopped working. I hear the Microsoft jingle when the computer turns on but see nothing on the screen. I also took out the battery and tried restarting but it did not help.

Offline doodley

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »
Hi! I have the bb 9930 and lately when I take pictures the picture will be good but when I go into the media  2 min later the picture won't show up only it looks like its there but you can't see it. Like when it loads the pics you also don't see the pic for 2 seconds as its loading it but then you see it  but These files are there but llately its not loading?

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2012, 03:26:03 PM »
My Lenovo G470's screen stopped working. I hear the Microsoft jingle when the computer turns on but see nothing on the screen. I also took out the battery and tried restarting but it did not help.

i connected my laptop to my desktop screen and it works, so the screen is definitely the issue. Any ideas?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2012, 04:58:31 PM »
Sure we can replace the screen, it's not that expensive

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »
Hi! I have the bb 9930 and lately when I take pictures the picture will be good but when I go into the media  2 min later the picture won't show up only it looks like its there but you can't see it. Like when it loads the pics you also don't see the pic for 2 seconds as its loading it but then you see it  but These files are there but llately its not loading?

Its possible that its very full and you have lots of pictures. try copying the pictures to the computer and then wipe the card and start over

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »
Sure we can replace the screen, it's not that expensive

Thanks, I still within the Amex guarantee. Perhaps they will give me a new laptop?