Topic Wiki

Ok so my rule of determining the level of difficulty in data recovery is really 2 questions.
#1 -  is it making any noise
#2 -  is it detected in the bios if you connect it directly to the mobo

If the answer to #1 is yes - then if you want any hopes of recovering the data do not attempt to continue powering it on. It can be making noise because the heads are broken or bent and if that's the case you will scrape the platters and kill the drive beyond any hope of recovery. (data recovery isn't like the way they show it in the movies you cannot actually remove a platter and recover any data off it) And please do not attempt the Freezer Trick - it doesn't work on current drives anymore and actually introduces condensation in the drive that can kill the platters.
If its detected in the bios we can try a couple of things - and i can usually recover the data for about $250 - $799 - over 50% of the time its about $300.

DH Data Recovery

« Last edited by etech0 on November 08, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »

Author Topic: Data Recovery - Any Questions?  (Read 175266 times)

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Data Recovery - Any Questions?
« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2013, 02:39:49 PM »
RE above post --also I use paper port 11 and and it has picked up "every document and photo " in my computer  --- b4 all this changed --- paper port showed only what I scanned into paper port  --- now I have so many  unnecessary  documents in paper port!!! and impossible to manage 
--example -- all my word documents now show up in paper port ---

I also lost all my documents that i had scanned -- HELP PLEASE
This may be by design since Office 2k is no longer supported by Microsoft.  A possible work around (although it will be a pain) would be to change to file extension from .doc to .tmp, then put the file in dropbox.  When you take it out, change the extension back to .doc.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2013, 02:42:01 PM »
I have "Live mail" in outlook 2013 currently its a POP3 connection. I want to switch to IMAP.
The way I think I would do this is by deleting the current account from outlook (and thereby deleting the data files also) and then setting up a new IMAP account.
Is there any risk of me losing the thousands of emails that are on the server?
As long as all of the data is really on the server, you should be ok.  To be on the safe side always back up the Outlook data file before deleting.  It only takes a few minutes, and can save tons of headache.

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »
This may be by design since Office 2k is no longer supported by Microsoft.  A possible work around (although it will be a pain) would be to change to file extension from .doc to .tmp, then put the file in dropbox.  When you take it out, change the extension back to .doc.

Thanks---I think you are right as it has happened in the past few weeks and msft or drop box must have changed something  -- b4 that it was fine

ur suggestion --ur right---it wood be a pain -- i guess msft wins since i will now have to join the 21 century and learn to use office 2010

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2013, 04:11:51 PM »
Regarding the last item, from your desktop (not the paperport program) try going to 'My Documents' and looking for a folder called 'Paperport' or 'My Scans' or 'Scans', etc.  Look in that folder for your scans.

I did -- no luck ----I have a back up drive connected -- never had need to even look in it -- have only for  "just in case"( this is a just in case insinuation)  -- have no idea how to search it etc --but will look to see if scans are in it -- does anyone know if scans are picked up in a backup drive

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 11, 2013, 04:34:24 PM »

I did -- no luck ----I have a back up drive connected -- never had need to even look in it -- have only for  "just in case"( this is a just in case insinuation)  -- have no idea how to search it etc --but will look to see if scans are in it -- does anyone know if scans are picked up in a backup drive

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »

Most if not all scanning software will save the files to your documents folder under a sub folder.  Most if not all backup software will backup your Documents folder and everything in it.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 11, 2013, 04:43:28 PM »
Most if not all scanning software will save the files to your documents folder under a sub folder.  Most if not all backup software will backup your Documents folder and everything in it.

will open drive tomorrow and start to look

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2013, 07:57:28 PM »
Bought an all in one samsung desktop and they only have windows 8. (side note it sux) I'm having problems with all Internet browsers. Pages aren't loading properly. Problem would be from the computer? Or from windows 8? It's not the Internet cus I've never had a problem till now with it

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 15, 2013, 08:25:09 PM »
Bought an all in one samsung desktop and they only have windows 8. (side note it sux) I'm having problems with all Internet browsers. Pages aren't loading properly. Problem would be from the computer? Or from windows 8? It's not the Internet cus I've never had a problem till now with it

I think it's a Samsung issue. I had this once and someone on the forums posting a fix for it. Not sure where it's at.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 15, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
I think it's a Samsung issue. I had this once and someone on the forums posting a fix for it. Not sure where it's at.
ok.. if anyone knows than that wud be gr8.. otherwise- shipping this baby right back!

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 15, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »
What do you mean 'pages aren't loading properly'?  Can you give more details, please?

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 15, 2013, 10:36:30 PM »
What do you mean 'pages aren't loading properly'?  Can you give more details, please?
the dont load the way they should look. Missing things on the page- and wrong layout...i can take a pic of it and post it (im not very good at figuring out how to post on DD though)

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 15, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »
made it as an attachment cus no idea how else to do it...

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 15, 2013, 10:43:19 PM »
oh haa.. thats how u post it.  could never figure it out. ok well here is an image when i sign onto webpages.. happens to many pages (facebook, amazon..) happens on firefox, chrome- and i happen to thing it doesnt happen on IE- but i hate IE for other reasons

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 15, 2013, 10:47:36 PM »
Search for the thread "computer help".  I'm on a mobile so can't past it at the moment.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Centro

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 15, 2013, 11:02:07 PM »
Search for the thread "computer help".  I'm on a mobile so can't past it at the moment.
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=27868.0

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 15, 2013, 11:41:47 PM »
awesome. thnks

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 16, 2013, 12:48:57 AM »
the dont load the way they should look. Missing things on the page- and wrong layout...i can take a pic of it and post it (im not very good at figuring out how to post on DD though)
Do you have an internet filter?  What AV are you using?  To troubleshoot, I would first disable the filter, if you have one, and then test.  Next, I would disable av/malware protection and test.

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 16, 2013, 07:45:36 AM »
Do you have an internet filter?  What AV are you using?  To troubleshoot, I would first disable the filter, if you have one, and then test.  Next, I would disable av/malware protection and test.
no filter that I'm aware of. The comp does say it comes with some sorta malware protection.. I'll let u know what that is called

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 17, 2013, 12:18:16 AM »
1.  You mentioned that you also tried connecting the hd to a Windows 7 computer.  Had you previously connected the hd to this computer?  If so, try connecting to a computer that you have never used.
2.  You can remove the hd from its current enclosure and put it in another USB enclosure (you can find them on Amazon for around $10).  This is not a definite fix, but it is worth a shot.

1 didnt work, i didnt try 2. I gave up on it.