Author Topic: Please Help - "Improper U-Turn" ticket - NYS 1160e  (Read 1304 times)

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Please Help - "Improper U-Turn" ticket - NYS 1160e
« on: July 25, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
I was driving on a country road with one lane in each direction (and no shoulder) in Monticello, NY and attempted to make a u-turn.
Since I was driving a big van, I veered to the right before making the u-turn to allow me to make the the u-turn in one motion.
A State Trooper stopped me before I even crossed the line and ticked me for violating NYS 1160e - improper u-turn.
The law states as follows:

"U-turns. U-turns shall be made from and to that portion of the
highway nearest the marked center line. Where more than one lane of a
highway has been designated for left turns, U-turns shall be made only
from the lane so designated that is adjacent to the marked center line."

I feel that since I was driving a big van and there was only one lane, and no shoulder, I needed to veer rightward before making the u-turn or otherwise I probably wouldn't make it in one motion. The above law would apply only if I made the u-turn from the shoulder or from the right lane of two lanes. In my case I needed to veer rightward somewhat. Also, since there was only one lane and no shoulder, how far could I have been from the middle line anyway?
Keep in mind that I never actually executed the u-turn, as I was stopped by the Trooper before crossing the middle line.

My question is, do I plea bargain and accept a parking ticket or something similar, or should I go before the judge with the above argument and try to get the ticket dismissed?

I hope some of you guys can help me.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:23:29 PM by ae123 »

Offline Shmelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Improper U-Turn ticket - NYS 1160e
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »
How did you veer to the right if there was only 1 lane and no shoulder?
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline ae123

• View Profile
Re: Improper U-Turn ticket - NYS 1160e
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 05:06:40 PM »
How did you veer to the right if there was only 1 lane and no shoulder?

Even in a one lane road, there is always approximately 2-3 feet between the vehicle and the side of the road and between the vehicle and the middle line.
I just double checked on Google Maps Street View and there is a white line on the right side of the road with approximately 2 feet past it before the grass.
Perhaps I veered over that tiny "shoulder" (if that's what it is called) in order to execute my u-turn.
Even so, considering that there is only one lane and no "real shoulder" - and I was driving a big van, don't I have a point?
I'm attaching a picture of the road so you can see what I mean with the "mini shoulder". The u-turn was attempted about 500 feet further north where there is one lane in each direction. No Street View is available there.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:17:17 PM by ae123 »

Offline spetropo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help - "Improper U-Turn" ticket - NYS 1160e
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »
I think crossing into the "mini" shoulder is what did it. If you are on the shoulder or allow room for others to pass then you would have run the risk of hitting a passing car while executing the u-turn. If you remained in the lane adjacent to the middle line then any car behind you or one that came up behind you would have to stop because you are in the road way and they would realize that you are making a u-turn.

I would probably plea bargain just for a ticket and no points. The officer would probably win especially in front of the judge.
Just my .02

S

Offline ae123

• View Profile
Re: Please Help - "Improper U-Turn" ticket - NYS 1160e
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »
Thanks.