Author Topic: Trip Report - Tokyo, Hong Kong, Thailand  (Read 10334 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
Re: Trip Report - Tokyo, Hong Kong, Thailand
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 11:40:07 PM »
Great TR.
Thoughts.

-I negotiated tuk-tuks as low as 20 baht. Just depends how much negotiating you want to do :D
-Never ask a tuk-tuk or taxi where to go as they all will take you to commission joints. Always tell them beforehand exactly where you want to go or else you may be in for a world of misery.
-50-75% off the market isn't enough. You can get 90% off asking price if you try hard enough.
-Doesn't sound like BKK was worthwhile.
-You can make a suit on vacation, just do it in a place like HKG or PVG where they know what they're doing ;)
-UA wouldn't book you on Singapore for the next night?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline TAVI

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Report - Tokyo, Hong Kong, Thailand
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »
Great TR.
Thoughts.

-I negotiated tuk-tuks as low as 20 baht. Just depends how much negotiating you want to do :D
-Never ask a tuk-tuk or taxi where to go as they all will take you to commission joints. Always tell them beforehand exactly where you want to go or else you may be in for a world of misery.
-50-75% off the market isn't enough. You can get 90% off asking price if you try hard enough.
-Doesn't sound like BKK was worthwhile.
-You can make a suit on vacation, just do it in a place like HKG or PVG where they know what they're doing ;)
-UA wouldn't book you on Singapore for the next night?

- 20 bahts? wow that sounds really low (but i guess if anyone could, it would be you :)). was that for one of those shared red vans? because the one time i had decided to negotiate (was just curious how low i can bring them down to) i had to ask 5 different drivers until 1 agreed to go for an 80 baht fare, and i just gave him the extra 20 as a tip anyways because i felt bad.
- I agree here, i always gave tuk-tuks and taxi's a specific destination.
- again, you probably could, but everything is so cheap that i felt guilty. i would usually try to buy from the sellers that seemed more "honest" and nice to me, not the ones that looked or acted like complete shaisters. plus paying a dollar or two more was insignificant to me, but for that person it was more significant, so i didn't care. but i agree, you could negotiate more, but if you go down 50-75% you are probably not getting screwed (depends on which item of course).
- we enjoyed BKK, but mainly because in my reasoning i figured if i came all the way to thailind, might as well see the capital. but yes, just another asian big city...
- true, my preference was to make it in HKG, but i was only there for 2.5 days really, and thought i wouldn't have enough time. plus its just a hassle, especially if you are trying to relax on vaca.
- well they didn't want to book us on Singapore at all, as they preferred we fly with UA, with 2 connections in economy. plus flying the next night was no good for us, as we both had to be at work on Monday. our original flight was on sunday at 11:30am with 2pm arrival in NYC. taking the Singapore flight on Sunday night will bring us to NY on Monday morning around 8am.

in retrospect, there are few things i would do differently, but hey, you live and you learn right?