Author Topic: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos  (Read 37473 times)

Offline DrDanny

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2012, 10:03:17 PM »
IMHO there are VERY few jewish kids raised in an orthodox home who go off the path of their parents because of mental or thought out convictions which they differ in. Rather they do it because of lust, desires, laziness, emotional trauma, lack of love or family etc. bottom line they do it based on emotions not a well contemplated belief.
I agree with you although I'm not sure if that's what help me was saying

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2012, 10:03:38 PM »
IMHO there are VERY few jewish kids raised in an orthodox home who go off the path of their parents because of mental or thought out convictions which they differ in. Rather they do it because of lust, desires, laziness, emotional trauma, lack of love or family etc. bottom line they do it based on emotions not a well contemplated belief.

Sometimes I feel like there are probably more people who ARE frum who don't even know what they believe than those who went off and are just unsure or don't know how to connect to things etc.

The problem I feel is more pronounced today is the general not caring...about anything!
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »
Sometimes I feel like there are probably more people who ARE frum who don't even know what they believe than those who went off and are just unsure or don't know how to connect to things etc.

The problem I feel is more pronounced today is the general not caring...about anything!
Like a Rosh Yeshiva once told me, that the reason why there's no haskalah today is because no one cares, and no one thinks. He said there's a maalah that no one thinks bec. there's no haskala, but the chisaron is that the yiddishkeit is less strong. He said he doesn't know if the pros of a non-thinking generation outweigh the cons.
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2012, 10:30:08 PM »
If not I was answering a question before he got a chance to ask :)

True that is inline with what i'm saying. It is just laziness like I said.
Like a Rosh Yeshiva once told me, that the reason why there's no haskalah today is because no one cares, and no one thinks. He said there's a maalah that no one thinks bec. there's no haskala, but the chisaron is that the yiddishkeit is less strong. He said he doesn't know if the pros of a non-thinking generation outweigh the cons.
I'm not in the place to argue with a rosh yeshivah but I don't see the comparison from a halachic view point. If you don't believe in hashem and know hashem then the whole foundation of your judaism is off. But that's hashkafa which i'm not a expert in everyone hashkafa so I just see it my way I suppose.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2012, 10:46:08 PM »
.  I'm not in the place to argue with a rosh yeshivah but I don't see the comparison from a halachic view point. If you don't believe in hashem and know hashem then the whole foundation of your judaism is off. But that's hashkafa which i'm not a expert in everyone hashkafa so I just see it my way I suppose.
What he meant was is that a percentage of yidden were maskilim, bec. it was a thinking generation, and a percentage were deep believing frum jews. Now almost no ones a maskil but almost no ones a deep believing jew.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2012, 12:37:37 AM »
You got that right.
Where did that come from?
If not I was answering a question before he got a chance to ask :)
Preemptive strike?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2012, 12:42:27 AM »
.Where did that come from?
nothing personal, but he actually lives in the community, and knows, and interacts with, like we all do, many kids that strayed, that qualifies him to comment. But just to strengthen his point, in my elementary school class, 5 kids strayed - they were ALL orphans. (Yes, Lo aleinu, I had alot of orphans in my class).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:46:02 AM by Lamdan »

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2012, 12:49:26 AM »
Preemptive strike?
100%!  That's my philosophy strike early and strike hard :)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2012, 12:59:49 AM »
nothing personal, but he actually lives in the community, and knows, and interacts with, like we all do, many kids that strayed, that qualifies him to comment. But just to strengthen his point, in my elementary school class, 5 kids strayed - they were ALL orphans. (Yes, Lo aleinu, I had alot of orphans in my class).
I didn’t take anything personally. I was confused. I thought maybe he quoted me by mistake.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2012, 01:00:26 AM »
100%!  That's my philosophy strike early and strike hard :)
That does not work on everyone.  :P

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2012, 01:08:58 AM »
I didn’t take anything personally. I was confused. I thought maybe he quoted me by mistake.
HelpMe, you rock!

Offline shmuelb

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2012, 03:55:15 AM »
About not thinking, that is the way young people are. I remember when I was young. I think it is similar to smoking, they start smoking without thinking what the *^$# they are doing. They do a lot of  foolishness. (Remember the Bill Cosby routine?)

The troubling part is here the motivation is boredom. (I think this was mentioned in the MO survey) That is a heter to be michalel Shabbos?!? The yetzer hara is not coming with major taavos here and they break Shabbos so easily. You are bored so you are mechalel Shabbos?? Unbelievable! That shows how there is something majorly wrong with their conviction to Shmiras Hamitzvos.

Also what is sad but a reality is that they are bored on Shabbos. They do not have a geshmak from Shabbos. Nebach! Go to Shabbat.com or in Israel also anywhereinisrael.com and find fun hosts for Shabbos/meals... Come to us! Find a place where you can have meaning in your Shabbos! Shabbos is awesome!!!
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline duvid crockett

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »
I'm not paskening or anything but I spoke the topic over with a poisek and its not so pashut that its asur. Yes its very possible that there's no real chilul Shabbos with using your phone if its not for talking.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
I'm not paskening or anything but I spoke the topic over with a poisek and its not so pashut that its asur. Yes its very possible that there's no real chilul Shabbos with using your phone if its not for talking.
What's the difference between talking and texting?

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
+1 i may agree with you that there both questionably assur but they are defiantly not different
Unless you mean a landline

Offline Reb Moshe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Turkish GOLD, Aegean GOLD, Hertz presidents circle, AVIS Presidents, Rav Kav Platinum, Hilton Gold
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2012, 07:17:37 PM »

you are obviously not trying to say its muttar. but you are probably saying that we should know exactly what you are doing when sending a text or making a call. its important not to spread that its muttar

Offline shmuelb

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »
I was at the English Kinnos today in EY, the Rav mentioned this. He spoke about how people nowadays do not have the feeling of Shabbos like it was in previous generations. The Rav gave an example from the Mishna in Taanis Perek 4, that we do not make a taanis on Sunday
ולא באחד בשבת, כדי שלא יצאו ממנוחה וענג ליגיעה ותענית וימותו
. He explained that was by Taanios for rain in the time of the Beis Hamikdash. Now we do have 9bAv on Sunday, like today, because after the churban, our Shabbos is not the same.

After the shiur, someone asked the Rav about texting on Shabbos. He said it is clearly Assur, even if only derabanan, it is still asur.

Now is it 99:1 a safek or like pig etc. what's the difference? If a teen is being moreh heter, it is not a svarah in halacha, as if he asked a Rav. Its just bs, like posting "I could have a heter if I wanted" on fb. Nebach!

Now, if Duvie was reform chvSh, then yes, as a balbus on the board, you can find a heter for leniency, add lomdus and hagdaros etc. just like a psak that you should make a bris in shul on Shabbos because it is clear in Halacha that you can not drive to (make) a bris on Shabbos, but as the convention in cleve or somewhere already hetered driving to shul, so make the bris in shul and migu that you can drive to shul for davening, the baby can be driven and all the guests etc. "Gilgul galgal"

Now Rab Moshe, agav, how did you get Rav Kav Platinum?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:43:36 AM by shmuelb »

Offline KidOOO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
Now Rab Moshe, agav, how did you get Rav Kav Platinum?

(-:

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
You know what I noticed about Shabbos? Especially when I ate out a lot when I was younger.. a lot if the husbands would sit down and say wow Im tired or I can't wait to get to sleep, I'm so glad its shabbos so I can sleep etc etc. And they had young kids. I remember thinking back then it was totally giving kids the wrong impression. 
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline shmuelb

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
+1, it takes effort, thinking about others, not focusing or wallowing in our own needs.

The Chafetz Chaim said that everyone should spend time every day wrking/planning for his child/ren's chinuch and the Rebbe said we should spend an hour a day on that.