Author Topic: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos  (Read 37472 times)

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2017, 05:41:03 PM »
A close friend of mine is r"l slipping down very bad. Right now he is at the stage where r"l he doesn't believe in "Torah min hashamyim", "am hanivchar", etc. can anyone recommend any solid good books on these topics which I can send him to read?
Wasn't sure where to post this. Couldn't find anything on this topic. If there is a already a thread on this topic please direct me

As others have said, just be there for him as a friend.  IME, the vast majority of people who start questioning a deeply-held faith only do so when something in their life isn't going well: personally, financially, etc.  It leads to questions that they often feel are better than the answers.

So help him out with whatever these issues are, be a friend, confidante, etc., and don't be overly judgmental because that certainly won't help.

Offline Boruch999

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 27, 2017, 06:02:09 PM »
Should I just sit back and watch him drown? Was walking home with him in Shabbos and got home nauseous from all the garbage he told me. What did my listening help....

You seem to think that he may be receptive to books which address his issues.  Many here seem to doubt that is the case, but they haven't spoken to him, you have.  If you post some of the garbage he told you, someone may be able to recommend a book which addresses that particular garbage.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2017, 06:27:23 PM »
You seem to think that he may be receptive to books which address his issues.  Many here seem to doubt that is the case, but they haven't spoken to him, you have.  If you post some of the garbage he told you, someone may be able to recommend a book which addresses that particular garbage.

+100

Offline precise

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
I thought I did list the issues but if not let's start with "Torah Min Hashmayim"

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »
I thought I did list the issues but if not let's start with "Torah Min Hashmayim"
Permission to Receive

Though believing in Torah Min Hashamayim requires one to first believe in Hashem.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »
Hard to believe that a ffb really has this issue as a root cause of the problem.

Is he eating traif?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2017, 08:04:16 PM »
Hard to believe that a ffb really has this issue as a root cause of the problem.

Is he eating traif?
cholov stam
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2017, 08:09:59 PM »

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2017, 08:17:55 PM »
cholov stam
IINM that could bring about sfeikos in emunah. Though I don't think this is a matter to joke about, I think cbc was asking a serious question in order to find out how far this individual has fallen.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2017, 08:24:56 PM »
If the root cause is Taiva, then how will a book or intellectual conversation help?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2017, 08:37:52 PM »
IINM that could bring about sfeikos in emunah. Though I don't think this is a matter to joke about, I think cbc was asking a serious question in order to find out how far this individual has fallen.
Yes, eating non kosher food is directly related to losing the taste for yidishkeit and emuna in torah min hashamayim absorbed by virtually all ffbs..

Question is how to deal with it? 

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2017, 08:41:18 PM »
If the root cause is Taiva, then how will a book or intellectual conversation help?
+1 so true.

A spiritual boost is required to counter the pull of the geshem. Question is what kind of spiritual boost is appropriate.

ExG might tell you it's a bottle of cheap vodka and a fabregin... ;)

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2017, 08:44:18 PM »
+1 so true.

A spiritual boost is required to counter the pull of the geshem. Question is what kind of spiritual boost is appropriate.

...and he may be correct.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2017, 09:12:40 PM »
+1 so true.

I take that as a personal insult! Cheap Vodka is unacceptable!

As for the spiritual boost, I really think that learning with a good chavrusa or Rabbi that will listen and validate has the best potential. There are also some experiences that can help, but those aren't something one might be able to schedule as easily as just learning Torah.
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2017, 09:15:12 PM »
I take that as a personal insult! Cheap Vodka is unacceptable!

As for the spiritual boost, I really think that learning with a good chavrusa or Rabbi that will listen and validate has the best potential. There are also some experiences that can help, but those aren't something one might be able to schedule as easily as just learning Torah.
And the Vodka and fabrengin/kumzitz/BBQ/Whatever other smiley event are tools to get them to come.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2017, 09:56:23 PM »
Permission to Receive

Though believing in Torah Min Hashamayim requires one to first believe in Hashem.
I read some of the reviews on Amazon to get the gist of it.

From what I read there, I think the strongest argument (which IMHO talks also on levels other than intellect) is:

In the first case, he wonders why secular Bible critics have ignored the mass of commentary in the Talmud expressly devoted to explaining all the apparent textual contradictions that secular critics seem to think nobody ever noticed before.

This can be rephrased with a little more context, bringing to the surface the breadth of knowledge and understanding of true gedolei Yisroel, starting with תנאים ואמוראים, and continuing throughput the generations. All of those were definitely familiar with any questions you might have, and had a much wider knowledge, allowing them to see even questions you don't see, yet they are steadfast in יג עיקרים!

I think that once one internalizes this reality, all counter arguments (as seen in negative review) become irrelevant.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:01:19 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2017, 10:06:28 PM »
I read some of the reviews on Amazon to get the gist of it.

From what I read there, I think the strongest argument (which IMHO talks also on levels other than intellect) is:

This can be rephrased with a little more context, bringing to the surface the breadth of knowledge and understanding of true gedolei Yisroel, starting with תנאים ואמוראים, and continuing throughput the generations. All of those were definitely familiar with any questions you might have, and had a much wider knowledge, allowing them to see even questions you don't see, yet they are steadfast in יג עיקרים!

I think that once one internalizes this reality, all counter arguments (as seen in negative review) become irrelevant.

It would helpful to see an example. Such as, what's the bomb kasha,how did Chazal answer it and how the Bible critics answer it.

Offline precise

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2017, 11:02:39 PM »

Is he eating traif?

I do not know if he eats treif but based on his language I wouldn't be shocked an iota if yes.
Imho this particular case (and lots of other cases) the root cause is absolutely taaveh. The issue is since it is taaveh they have a guilty conscience and try covering it up with all sorts of theological questions. Once they start reading apikorses and the likes, since  the rock solid foundation of yiddishkeit is missing they get all excited and start believing there might be some truth to the garbage. And so it continues...if R"L there is no schar v'oinesh then let's do as we please...

So if I can provide this fellow with some material on the basics #1 he will see none of the questions were born today and however strong the questions Judaism is stronger and #2 even if I won't get him to that point of realizing the truth it'll definitely give him some guilt feelings which might stop him from slipping more

Has anyone ever read R Avogadro Millers book The truth of the Torah?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »
I do not know if he eats treif but based on his language I wouldn't be shocked an iota if yes. Imho this particular case (and lots of other cases) the root cause is absolutely taaveh. The issue is since it is taaveh they have a guilty conscience and try covering it up with all sorts of theological questions. Once they start reading apikorses and the likes, since  the rock solid foundation of yiddishkeit is missing they get all excited and start believing there might be some truth to the garbage. And so it continues...if R"L there is no schar v'oinesh then let's do as we please...

So if I can provide this fellow with some material on the basics #1 he will see none of the questions were born today and however strong the questions Judaism is stronger and #2 even if I won't get him to that point of realizing the truth it'll definitely give him some guilt feelings which might stop him from slipping more

Has anyone ever read R Avogadro Millers book The truth of the Torah?
I was going to mention R Miller's books but they are written in a very intellectual manner and he may not actually read them.

Offline precise

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2017, 11:11:38 PM »
I was going to mention R Miller's books but they are written in a very intellectual manner and he may not actually read them.
Correct. His stuff weren't written for today's otd chassidim which are ignoramus. Is this true for this particular book as well?