Author Topic: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos  (Read 37449 times)

Offline KidOOO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
its an addiction like any other

#Can'tputphoneDown-Syndrome

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
KidOOO- +1

And this probelm is not unique to kids.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »
"based on their survey of 1,200 teenagers in modern Orthodox institutions. They put the percentage texting on Shabbos at 17.7 percent, with another 15.5 percent surfing the Internet, and 13.5 percent using their cell phones."

@OP why am I not surprised you left out qualifiers to the guys statement. Maybe that's why you don't trust professionals- cuz you don't know what they say when they say it.
@jj1000, take a chill pill. I wasn't referring to that MO survey. I'm referring to a guy who said this about the general frum public.
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »
You base your opinion of ALL professionals based on "some?" You were talking to a frum guy that works with computer recovery. You think he lives in a bubble?

Do you have a link to the guys statistics about texting. Could he have been speaking about within a certain community?
take a 2nd chill pill, I won't even bother to respond bec. your accusing me of things i didn't even imply, and if you think i meant what you wrote i meant, take a 3rd chill pill and think it over.

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »
I've heard these numbers from these technology pros as well but never really believed them
until recently I was talking to my Rosh Yeshiva (who also runs the local community(a decent sized city))
we didn't talk numbers but he did tell me that the amount of girls who did it was way larger than than we would like to believe

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »
These numbers seem really hard to believe, but perhaps I'm out of touch.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »
jj1000 is fire against what i'm about to say, but i'll say it anyways. Many times when a person specializes in a problem, being that he deals with it so much, they overestimate how prevalent the problem is, it's human nature. Now if the problem is heart problems, there are scientific studies how prevalent that is, and he won't overestimate. Or if the problem is blindness, you walk in the streets and see that most ppl aren't blind. But a problem with no studies and that's hidden, I think it's human nature to overestimate.

Offline SamDaMan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »
I personally know 2 kids who told me that they text on shabbos one was a reg kid who is in a yeshiva and the second kid works in a store in israel he is unfortunately slowly going off the 'd' he told me the first thing that he did that started him off was text because no one can know he did it.
both are american israelis and both come from 'reg families' and went/go to reg schools
But I'm still proud to be from clev!

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »
Putting a number or percentage on this problem is silly and pointless.  But to ignore it and say it isnt a problem, or it isnt a problem in my community, is even more silly.  This is a growing issue that is reaching all communities. 

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 03:08:46 PM »

jj1000 is fire against what i'm about to say, but i'll say it anyways. Many times when a person specializes in a problem, being that he deals with it so much, they overestimate how prevalent the problem is, it's human nature. Now if the problem is heart problems, there are scientific studies how prevalent that is, and he won't overestimate. Or if the problem is blindness, you walk in the streets and see that most ppl aren't blind. But a problem with no studies and that's hidden, I think it's human nature to overestimate.
This is not my Rosh Yeshivas life or passion but people do come over to him for help when they catch their kids texting on shabbos
BTW he is a respected Litfisch RY

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »
Putting a number or percentage on this problem is silly and pointless.  But to ignore it and say it isnt a problem, or it isnt a problem in my community, is even more silly.  This is a growing issue that is reaching all communities.
It actually makes a big difference to me if 50% of my religiously clad community does not observe the torah.

I know this is a problem with adults too. Its actually been discussed here months ago, if any of the search pro's wanna try to find it.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 03:10:45 PM »
I personally know 2 kids who told me that they text on shabbos one was a reg kid who is in a yeshiva and the second kid works in a store in israel he is unfortunately slowly going off the 'd' he told me the first thing that he did that started him off was text because no one can know he did it.
both are american israelis and both come from 'reg families' and went/go to reg schools
So many of those type of kids go off the D
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »
This is not my Rosh Yeshivas life or passion but people do come over to him for help when they catch their kids texting on shabbos
BTW he is a respected Litfisch RY
I wasn't referring to your RY, I was referring to the original proffesional in beginning of this discussion.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 03:12:40 PM »
So many of those type of kids go off the D

American Israelis have a hard time in Israel very often.

Not that it makes a difference too much. There are all types texting on Shabbos.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »
i think anyone out of high school for any amount of significant time is prob out of touch with whats going on
i have been out for 10 years and when i visit my old yeshiva i realize how much things have changed in those ten years

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 03:13:12 PM »
It actually makes a big difference to me if 50% of my religiously clad community does not observe the torah.

I know this is a problem with adults too. Its actually been discussed here months ago, if any of the search pro's wanna try to find it.
does it really make a difference to you if 10% or 20% or 50% do it? Why? its obviously a big enough issue even if 10% do it.  This is not an issue that is affecting a very small number of children either way.  I understand that you are curious how many ppl actually do this but what difference does it actually make to you?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 03:14:56 PM »

This thread? http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=12561.msg161378#msg161378
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
Re: Re: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
American Israelis have a hard time in Israel very often.

Not that it makes a difference too much. There are all types texting on Shabbos.
Agreed. They have a very bad name in E'Y, I'v seen it myself.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »
does it really make a difference to you if 10% or 20% or 50% do it? Why? its obviously a big enough issue even if 10% do it.  I understand that you are curious how many ppl actually do this but what difference does it actually make to you?
10% and 50% is a tremendous difference, 1, is a major problem, 2, is THE major problem, and basically klal yisrael is doomed.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 03:17:53 PM »
does it really make a difference to you if 10% or 20% or 50% do it? Why? its obviously a big enough issue even if 10% do it.  This is not an issue that is affecting a very small number of children either way.  I understand that you are curious how many ppl actually do this but what difference does it actually make to you?
If 10% is hurt it's a problem. If it's 50%, the 'frum' community is not really religious and we live in a fake.