Author Topic: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos  (Read 17698 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »
Putting a number or percentage on this problem is silly and pointless.  But to ignore it and say it isnt a problem, or it isnt a problem in my community, is even more silly.  This is a growing issue that is reaching all communities.
It actually makes a big difference to me if 50% of my religiously clad community does not observe the torah.

I know this is a problem with adults too. Its actually been discussed here months ago, if any of the search pro's wanna try to find it.
Purpose > Pleasure

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 03:10:45 PM »
I personally know 2 kids who told me that they text on shabbos one was a reg kid who is in a yeshiva and the second kid works in a store in israel he is unfortunately slowly going off the 'd' he told me the first thing that he did that started him off was text because no one can know he did it.
both are american israelis and both come from 'reg families' and went/go to reg schools
So many of those type of kids go off the D
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »
This is not my Rosh Yeshivas life or passion but people do come over to him for help when they catch their kids texting on shabbos
BTW he is a respected Litfisch RY
I wasn't referring to your RY, I was referring to the original proffesional in beginning of this discussion.
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 03:12:40 PM »
So many of those type of kids go off the D

American Israelis have a hard time in Israel very often.

Not that it makes a difference too much. There are all types texting on Shabbos.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »
These numbers seem really hard to believe, but perhaps I'm out of touch.
i think anyone out of high school for any amount of significant time is prob out of touch with whats going on
i have been out for 10 years and when i visit my old yeshiva i realize how much things have changed in those ten years

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 03:13:12 PM »
It actually makes a big difference to me if 50% of my religiously clad community does not observe the torah.

I know this is a problem with adults too. Its actually been discussed here months ago, if any of the search pro's wanna try to find it.
does it really make a difference to you if 10% or 20% or 50% do it? Why? its obviously a big enough issue even if 10% do it.  This is not an issue that is affecting a very small number of children either way.  I understand that you are curious how many ppl actually do this but what difference does it actually make to you?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8015
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 03:14:56 PM »

This thread? http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=12561.msg161378#msg161378
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
American Israelis have a hard time in Israel very often.

Not that it makes a difference too much. There are all types texting on Shabbos.
Agreed. They have a very bad name in E'Y, I'v seen it myself.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »
does it really make a difference to you if 10% or 20% or 50% do it? Why? its obviously a big enough issue even if 10% do it.  I understand that you are curious how many ppl actually do this but what difference does it actually make to you?
10% and 50% is a tremendous difference, 1, is a major problem, 2, is THE major problem, and basically klal yisrael is doomed.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 03:17:53 PM »
does it really make a difference to you if 10% or 20% or 50% do it? Why? its obviously a big enough issue even if 10% do it.  This is not an issue that is affecting a very small number of children either way.  I understand that you are curious how many ppl actually do this but what difference does it actually make to you?
If 10% is hurt it's a problem. If it's 50%, the 'frum' community is not really religious and we live in a fake.
Purpose > Pleasure

Offline sky121

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Percentage Of Kids Texting On Shabbos
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 03:22:11 PM »
Agreed. They have a very bad name in E'Y, I'v seen it myself.

I think a lot if it has to do with not exactly fitting in. Plus Israel is very black and white and a lot of Americans are more open minded but there's not a lot of room for that in Israel.  We have that problem in America. In Israel it's 100 times harder. No room to be grey.

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »
If 10% is hurt it's a problem. If it's 50%, the 'frum' community is not really religious and we live in a fake.
We're talking about kids, not the adult community.

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »
+1 IMHO the root of this problem is these girls don't really have a hergesh for yiddishkite its become subject where you study for tests and not so much think about emunah and bitachon

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2012, 03:33:36 PM »
+1 IMHO the root of this problem is these girls don't really have a hergesh for yiddishkite its become subject where you study for tests and not so much think about emunah and bitachon

I agree that we should figure out WHY this is happening.  I think it comes from a lack of self esteem. And a definite lack of connection to yiddeshkeit. The texting isn't really the problem.  There are plenty of girls who don't text on shabbos who are just as empty inside.

Lately it seems to me these girls are empty and void of a lot of things.  Self esteem.  Passion...for anything meaningful frum or not. Etc.

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »
????
Like it was already said we are talking about numbers in the frum teens, not overall frum communities.  I dont really agree with the comment that the community is fake even if it was 50% of the whole but we would be in real trouble. 

Either way, maybe you see a difference between 10 and 50% but the numbers really being discussed were between 10% and 35% and my whole point is that you cant really get an accurate number so why argue about it.  The end of the day is that this is a real issue that is affecting a "significant" number of the youth in frum communities.