Topic Wiki

Need a U.S. Passport Immediately?

You should make an appointment to be seen at a Regional Passport Agency only if:

The U.S. passport is needed in less than 2 weeks for international travel
The U.S. passport is needed within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa
Contact the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment or locate a Passport Agency.

go to :

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/npic_898.html

https://passportappointment.travel.state.gov/

I also made an appointment online. It's a long overdue option. I discovered that new appointments post at midnight, for the newly added day. I waited until midnight, and was able to pick any time I wanted in NY. Game changer.

and make a appointment you will get it the same day or the next day , (depends when you are flying) .

If you need an expedited appointment call l 1-877-487-2778 at 8 AM SHARP EST. Press 1 1 2 2 to speak to a live rep to schedule you an expedited appointment.
Trick is to press the last 2 at 8AM, rather than starting the call at 8AM. I had 2 people try it this morning- one pressed "2" at 8AM and had no hold times and got an appointment for today. The second called at 8AM, had a 30 min wait, and was told that the closest they have available is in VT.

« Last edited by baron on December 19, 2023, 09:55:48 PM »

Author Topic: Passport expedite  (Read 131986 times)

Offline BOOKY

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Passport expedite
« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2016, 01:58:24 PM »
http://www.bklynlibrary.org/passport/
It says there that you cant renew at the library it's only for new applicants.

i renewed a passport in the library

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2016, 11:14:14 PM »
library didn't accept renewal, net via mail expedite, sent on Friday received the next Thursday.
["-"]

Offline jstu

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »
I mailed my passport in less than two weeks ago already got it back today, did not pay to expedite.
Sometimes it doesn't pay to save money.

Online Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2016, 11:49:31 AM »
I mailed my passport in less than two weeks ago already got it back today, did not pay to expedite.
I came here to post this very question: How long does it take to renew by mail? טרם נקרא ואני אענה :)
Any other DPs on this?

Offline justaguy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 15, 2017, 06:42:44 AM »
Hi
My family is flying to Israel in less than 2 weeks and just realized that our passports expire within 6 months. We're in nj. The automated schedule said the next appointments in ny, Stamford and Philadelphia are all on or after the day we leave. Any ideas?

Edit: my passport and my wife's, are fine. It's just the kids (7-15) who expire at the end of August. Does that change anything?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:59:47 AM by justaguy »

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 15, 2017, 08:26:58 AM »
Hi
My family is flying to Israel in less than 2 weeks and just realized that our passports expire within 6 months. We're in nj. The automated schedule said the next appointments in ny, Stamford and Philadelphia are all on or after the day we leave. Any ideas?

Edit: my passport and my wife's, are fine. It's just the kids (7-15) who expire at the end of August. Does that change anything?
No. They have options to book if you are flying within 2 weeks. Go online. They should give you same day appointment if you just show up there as well.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline ericchavez91

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 15, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »

They should give you same day appointment if you just show up there as well.
+1

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
Hi

Select that you are flying within the shortest time, you get an appointment, bring proof of your tickets, pay and get your passport on time. It takes an one day in Manhattan.

Offline justaguy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
That is great, I got an appointment tomorrow in philly. Do you know if both parents need to be there or if one of us is ok?

Offline ericchavez91

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2017, 11:45:09 AM »
That is great, I got an appointment tomorrow in philly. Do you know if both parents need to be there or if one of us is ok?
IIRC only one parent needs to be there.

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2017, 12:01:30 PM »
I know this is technically the opposite of the thread topic, but I'm curious to hear experiences regarding regular renewal by mail. I did new passports for my kids (via post office) and renewal for myself (regular mail) at the same time, exactly 4 weeks ago. The kids passports arrived probably around the 2 week mark, but mine hasn't arrived yet at all. I know the normal time-frame is 6-8 weeks, but seems a little strange.

If you've done a renewal by mail without expedite fees, how long did it take to arrive?

Offline zippynj

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »
Anyone with very recent experience with E-Z Passport in Brooklyn? I'm relying on him for a passport and I'm getting nervous. He is not giving me a clear time when I'm getting my passport, just "what we made up" and told me he will call me, not to bother him again?!?!

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »
Anyone with very recent experience with E-Z Passport in Brooklyn? I'm relying on him for a passport and I'm getting nervous. He is not giving me a clear time when I'm getting my passport, just "what we made up" and told me he will call me, not to bother him again?!?!
What did you make up?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline zippynj

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2017, 09:59:49 PM »
That's the problem, he made me scramble to give him the papers Sunday night so he can go today, and today he mumbled something about Friday before hanging up on me....

Offline insider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Ink Bold
« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »
How soon does one need to get updated passport after legal name change? Can you point me to official docs?

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 25, 2017, 12:46:42 AM »
How soon does one need to get updated passport after legal name change? Can you point me to official docs?
legally- I don't know
practically- you can keep using the old passport until it expires.  It even serves as ID for you on your former name.
After my daughter changed to her married name, she eventually needed to renew her driver's license, so she changed the name on it.  But her passport wasn't expiring yet.  So her newly acquired Global entry is on her single name (and she carries her GE ID when traveling in the USA rather than her passport)
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline insider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Ink Bold
« Reply #176 on: August 25, 2017, 06:14:32 PM »
legally- I don't know
practically- you can keep using the old passport until it expires.  It even serves as ID for you on your former name.
After my daughter changed to her married name, she eventually needed to renew her driver's license, so she changed the name on it.  But her passport wasn't expiring yet.  So her newly acquired Global entry is on her single name (and she carries her GE ID when traveling in the USA rather than her passport)

Thank you!

I was wondering how hard would it be to change name for global entry after getting updated passport

This doc is saying that one needs to come in-person: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1265/~/updating-passports-or-making-changes-to-your-goes-account

"If the passport involves a name or issuing authority change or is a new passport not previously associated with your account, you will need to visit an Enrollment Center located in a public building or airport. No appointment is needed, but please try to contact the Enrollment Center first. "

https://travelcodex.com/changing-your-name-for-global-entry/

Can you share your experience getting Global Entry updated?

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2017, 12:07:12 PM »

She hasn't changed the name on her passport yet, so she hasn't updated her GE.
I think up thread people said they went without an appointment and it was quick. 
If that's true, I would do it when I was already at the airport coming home from a flight.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline zippynj

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
Just posting based  my recent experience to help anyone needing a passport for a newborn.

1) contrary to what some passport courier services tell you, you can get a passport without an SS number - do yourself a favor and don't wait in till the last few days prior to flying just to see if the card comes in the mail. There is no other way to get the number as per 2 different SS offices.

2) if you are traveling within 2 weeks you can just go down to a regional passport office yourself without an appointment - just make sure both parents are there and you have the necessary forms and ITs including the babies birth certificate.

3) often it can be a whole day experience so be prepared, but it can go quick- all depends on how many people show up.

4) if a birth certificate was issued, you can get a same day copy by going down the the office of vital statistics. If you order it mailed to you, it may take a few weeks after issuance.

4) one thing that I'm not clear on is how quick you can have a birth certificate issued.  We went down to the health department 1 week after birth and were told we can't get a copy bec it wasn't issued by the state, which can take up to 3-4 weeks with no way to rush it (ended up being 2 weeks). I heard from others they went within a week and it was processed in the spot.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2017, 07:39:33 AM »
Thank you!

I was wondering how hard would it be to change name for global entry after getting updated passport

This doc is saying that one needs to come in-person: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1265/~/updating-passports-or-making-changes-to-your-goes-account

"If the passport involves a name or issuing authority change or is a new passport not previously associated with your account, you will need to visit an Enrollment Center located in a public building or airport. No appointment is needed, but please try to contact the Enrollment Center first. "

https://travelcodex.com/changing-your-name-for-global-entry/

My wife had to go down to a GE office to have her name updated, no appointment was needed
Just posting based  my recent experience to help anyone needing a passport for a newborn.

1) contrary to what some passport courier services tell you, you can get a passport without an SS number - do yourself a favor and don't wait in till the last few days prior to flying just to see if the card comes in the mail. There is no other way to get the number as per 2 different SS offices.

2) if you are traveling within 2 weeks you can just go down to a regional passport office yourself without an appointment - just make sure both parents are there and you have the necessary forms and ITs including the babies birth certificate.

3) often it can be a whole day experience so be prepared, but it can go quick- all depends on how many people show up.

4) if a birth certificate was issued, you can get a same day copy by going down the the office of vital statistics. If you order it mailed to you, it may take a few weeks after issuance.

4) one thing that I'm not clear on is how quick you can have a birth certificate issued.  We went down to the health department 1 week after birth and were told we can't get a copy bec it wasn't issued by the state, which can take up to 3-4 weeks with no way to rush it (ended up being 2 weeks). I heard from others they went within a week and it was processed in the spot.
My son's BC arrived before his bris...