Author Topic: Have you ever convinced a bank to take back a hard pull?  (Read 3244 times)

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Have you ever convinced a bank to take back a hard pull?
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »
I did a 3bm with Amex in May and it took three weeks to get the cards approved.  I never once called recon but they seem to have done some sort of slow approval process.  Regardless, they ended up pulling my credit report 3 times (once per week)!  I know, I know, "that's the risk we take."  But I'm wondering if anybody here has ever convinced Amex or any other bank to remove a hard pull from your credit report (or convert it to a soft pull?).  What can I say to them? 

This is making my report look bad because I already have 2 Citi pulls in the past 6 months plus these 3 from Amex, and now one from Chase (the Chase denial said to many applications for credit so that's why I checked my report).

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever convinced a bank to take back a hard pull?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
I did a 3bm with Amex in May and it took three weeks to get the cards approved.  I never once called recon but they seem to have done some sort of slow approval process.  Regardless, they ended up pulling my credit report 3 times (once per week)!  I know, I know, "that's the risk we take."  But I'm wondering if anybody here has ever convinced Amex or any other bank to remove a hard pull from your credit report (or convert it to a soft pull?).  What can I say to them? 

This is making my report look bad because I already have 2 Citi pulls in the past 6 months plus these 3 from Amex, and now one from Chase (the Chase denial said to many applications for credit so that's why I checked my report).

Yes, but in my case (and I prefer not to elaborate, not even via PM), it was their mistake. It won't be easy in your case...
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline creditor

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Have you ever convinced a bank to take back a hard pull?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
Yes, but in my case (and I prefer not to elaborate, not even via PM), it was their mistake. It won't be easy in your case...
+1 a friend has managed to get a pull deleteed by calling Chase exec office. but it was their mistake.

you might wanna try calling amex credit beuro unit, [Hindu] if they refuse you can ask for a supervisor[Joseph,is his name, which is never ever available to talk only via callback, although he's sometimes in the office]
but of course play it stupid saying they shouldn't have pulled again if they pulled already for one card since they saw the report already
don't mention 3bm
I'm just say'in©®

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:02:49 PM »

I'm confused, what could anyone suggest you say to them when you did, in fact, apply for 3 cards?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline creditor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:17:01 PM »
I'm confused, what could anyone suggest you say to them when you did, in fact, apply for 3 cards?
I would argue that once they pulled my CR already why pull it again, when they just looked at it the very same day
of course they have rules/regulations but with those clueless hind.... you never know
I'm just say'in©®

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »
Yeah I know it's not a strong case but they certainly already had the information and, had they approved all 3 cards on the first day, they likely would not have pulled the report 3 times. 

I probably won't pursue this at all because I knew this was a possibility.  I'm just surprised because I've been doing this often for over 2 years and never had more than one pull if all the apps were for a personal card and no reconsideration was required.

On a side note, is it reasonable for a credit card company to wait 3 weeks to pull your credit before considering your application?  I don't think so.  That's essentially what they did here.  They approved the first card immediately, then the second card about a week later, and the third card about 10 days after that.  If they "began" to consider all three on day one, then the first pull was sufficient.  If they didn't even consider cards two and three until a week or two later, then I don't see what they gained by pulling the same report again.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 01:44:04 PM »
I would argue that once they pulled my CR already why pull it again, when they just looked at it the very same day
of course they have rules/regulations but with those clueless hind.... you never know

Why pull it again? Well, you should know the answer to that (or at least be able to intuit what AmEx would reply):

1) We have a right to pull your credit once per application, and 2) more importantly, we did not review his second application until a week later, and a lot can happen in 7 days, or 14 days, etc.

Yeah I know it's not a strong case but they certainly already had the information and, had they approved all 3 cards on the first day, they likely would not have pulled the report 3 times. 

I probably won't pursue this at all because I knew this was a possibility.  I'm just surprised because I've been doing this often for over 2 years and never had more than one pull if all the apps were for a personal card and no reconsideration was required.

On a side note, is it reasonable for a credit card company to wait 3 weeks to pull your credit before considering your application?  I don't think so.  That's essentially what they did here.  They approved the first card immediately, then the second card about a week later, and the third card about 10 days after that.  If they "began" to consider all three on day one, then the first pull was sufficient.  If they didn't even consider cards two and three until a week or two later, then I don't see what they gained by pulling the same report again.

See above.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline creditor

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Have you ever convinced a bank to take back a hard pull?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »
Why pull it again? Well, you should know the answer to that (or at least be able to intuit what AmEx would reply):

1) We have a right to pull your credit once per application, and 2) more importantly, we did not review his second application until a week later, and a lot can happen in 7 days, or 14 days, etc.

correct. I'm just trying to say what a possible argument can be, although they probably answer as you said
also as said with this department there is big chances they'll let him go [from experience]
I'm just say'in©®

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »
Basically you're saying that since they decided not to process all my applications at the time that I applied, they are within their rights to pull my credit report 3 times.  I hear the argument if you want to say that every application gets a pull, but we know that that's not the case (obviously - 3bm would not work if it were).  So if they told me it's their policy to pull a report on every application I'd have nothing to argue.  But if you're saying
2) more importantly, we did not review his second application until a week later, and a lot can happen in 7 days, or 14 days, etc.

,then that's ridiculous because they had the ability to review the application on day one (as evidenced by the fact that they did indeed approve one on that day).  Why should I take 3 hard pulls as a result of their procrastination?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 02:07:27 PM »
1) The reason why a 2/3bm works has nothing to do with the issuer, but rather with the CRA.

2) Every time you click "submit" on an application you are authorizing the issuer to pull your credit.

3) When they pull is up to them, not you.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »
1) The reason why a 2/3bm works has nothing to do with the issuer, but rather with the CRA.
…and that is why IMHO when it comes to inquires there is no need to do a 2/3bm.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline creditor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 02:35:55 PM »
gosh, my first taught when reading ajk's post was, oh helpme is gonna jump up now
I'm just say'in©®

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 02:36:08 PM »
@HelpMe
+1000
You only need to do it all in one day.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »

You're operating on the premise that CRA's combine all inquiries that are submitted within [sometime longer than it takes to do a 2/3bm].

Have you found that as a matter of practice?

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
Yes, I did.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »
Yes, I did.

...and how long was that bracketed period?

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
You're operating on the premise that CRA's combine all inquiries that are submitted within [sometime longer than it takes to do a 2/3bm].

Have you found that as a matter of practice?
Yes and yes.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 02:44:09 PM »
About 7 hours apart.

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
when I had my recent problem getting my United Club reopened (approved then shut down) at first they told me I must reapply, & I said I don't want another hard pull etc... anyways I ended up getting  my card reinstated, & when I came home from Israel I see a letter from chase that they sent a request to mask the inquiry from that card.
Basically I did a 3BM with no hard pull.... I didn't check to see if its masked yet

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 03:24:30 PM »
Yes and yes.

How long was the longest successfully?