Author Topic: Infant Travel  (Read 70540 times)

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: traveling with infant
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »
Huh?
The TSA stopped you from bringing a stroller through security? Or the airline has an agent at security? At which airport?

I've flown on 27 segments with an overweight/oversized stroller on AA, B6, CO, HA, UA, WN, and WP and never have had an issue.

It wasn't the TSA. It was the airport staff (you know the ones with the red vests/jackets). I tried several different lines/entrances and they all said take it up with AA. I talked to every supervisor and no one would budge.

This was LAX. I had no issues in EWR, LGA, JFK, CLE, FLL etc...
Did you ever go AA in LAX?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
It wasn't the TSA. It was the airport staff (you know the ones with the red vests/jackets). I tried several different lines/entrances and they all said take it up with AA. I talked to every supervisor and no one would budge.

This was LAX. I had no issues in EWR, LGA, JFK, CLE, FLL etc...
Did you ever go AA in LAX?
They weighed your stroller at security? Or how did they know? Is the terminal in LAX exclusively for AA?

We flew UA from LAX (the only nonstop to CLE from there), had no issues.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2012, 05:50:53 PM »
this rule officially went into play about a year ago.  when i recently flew aa jfk-mia-jfk they told me at check-in that they might send me back at security to check it in, but if i wanted to take the risk i could.      i did, and they didn't give me any issues (baby jogger, double stroller).               and i checked in curbside with an infant, no problem.          maybe it's a lax thing.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »
They weighed your stroller at security? Or how did they know? Is the terminal in LAX exclusively for AA?

The personnel at security were watching out for "Jogging Strollers". They said this one definitely can't go (City Select Single) and that I could go down and argue with the check-in agent and have them weigh it if I wanted to.

I made all kinds of arguments. My most significant being removing the wheels to bring it under 20lbs but they wouldn't budge.

Any tips for the future? This is a big problem....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2012, 07:40:52 PM »
Dunno...I do know that the admittedly bulky UppaBaby Vista is under 20 pounds when you are using it with a carseat as we always do when flying.  Though I've never been asked to weigh it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
Any tips for the future? This is a big problem....
AA First Class Flagship Checkin ;)

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2012, 07:50:54 PM »
Dunno...I do know that the admittedly bulky UppaBaby Vista is under 20 pounds when you are using it with a carseat as we always do when flying.  Though I've never been asked to weigh it.

At some point he won't fit in a car seat carrier, or do you mean the stroller supports a full size car seat?

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2012, 07:51:50 PM »
AA First Class Flagship Checkin ;)

I don't think that would have helped. They were stopping everyone.
To answer Dan's question before, this was an AA only terminal.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
At some point he won't fit in a car seat carrier, or do you mean the stroller supports a full size car seat?
True, will deal with that when he exceeds 30 pounds I suppose.  So darn convenient to have on the plane though.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2012, 08:09:17 PM »
True, will deal with that when he exceeds 30 pounds I suppose.  So darn convenient to have on the plane though.

Hope you make it to 30lbs. Many babies don't like being strapped in the small carrier and will want more room before they reach 30 pounds

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2012, 08:11:12 PM »
Rafi doesn't like going for walks in the carseat, but for going through the airport or going to sleep in it on the plane, it still works 1 year in.
Definitely was worth going for the 30 pound Chicco, best carseat by far.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Re: traveling with infant
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »
My two and a half year old doesn't weigh 30 pounds, try getting her in a carrier
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
Me'Inyan L'Inyan B'Oso Inyan:
I have award flight booked with QF. I got my infant an award ticket as well, because the price of an infant ticket with QF is absurd. Now, QF is telling me that I can't reserve a bassinet, because baby is booked on award ticket instead of infant ticket.
Any ideas?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2012, 10:01:31 PM »
Lol...how old is the infant anyway?

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2012, 11:21:57 PM »
So check the bags outside and have 1 parent carry the child inside for a plus infant boarding pass.
Was travelling alone with 4 kids and 8 pcs of luggage.  Was an Avios award ticket so hadn't added the baby yet.  Told the guy to pretend my baby wasn't there or not travelling etc.  No way I was gonna shlep 8 pcs of luggage inside.  Wasn't happy about it but he finally did it.