Author Topic: Infant Travel  (Read 149750 times)

Offline kosher

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: traveling with infant
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »
When I considered changing my infant ticket (in response the same posts above), UA told me that the infant ticket was considered a purchased fare and therefore subject to the $250 change fee for international tickets

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
traveling with infant
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2012, 02:05:33 PM »
On AA metal or AA flights? It's an LY flight...

AA metal. Been discussed before. Yet have a policy that is a bit over a year old. No bulky strollers or any strollers over 20lbs

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
Re: Flying With Babies
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2012, 01:29:20 PM »
Were flying to israel on sunday and have an infant with us and i jve a bassinet and a car seat how do i go about this? Do i pack the bassinet and just take the car seat or do i take both with us to the gate?
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
Were flying to israel on sunday and have an infant with us and i jve a bassinet and a car seat how do i go about this? Do i pack the bassinet and just take the car seat or do i take both with us to the gate?
Why would you bring the bassinet with you?

Do you have a seat for the infant? If no, see if there are any empty seats on the plane. If not check the car seat as well
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2012, 02:07:47 PM »
I do not have a seat, son is a month old. Why would delta give me a seat? Also what am i supposed to do with the bassinet then? Right im gonna check in the car seat at the gate - am i amble to check it in with my luggage?

Offline L'Chaim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »

Some airlines allow for an exceptional item to be checked in for a baby, YMMV.
I flew El Al with an infant and we had two extra pieces of luggage payed for (€27/p), so we checked in the bassinet (stuffed with all kinds of things) as the baby's 10kg piece, we had it wrapped in plastic at the airport.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2012, 07:33:05 PM »
ok, thanks, i know i an send the stroller down when i get to the gate, but what do ppl do when flying with the bassinet? (i.e. UP or buggaboo)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »
ok, thanks, i know i an send the stroller down when i get to the gate, but what do ppl do when flying with the bassinet? (i.e. UP or buggaboo)
We checked the bassinet under and had Rafi in the infant car seat attached to the UB through the airport. Brought the carseat on the plane and gate-checked the UB.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »
Thanks dan, does that mean you checked the bassinet as one of ur lugg - meaning im gonna have to oay for an extra piece of lugg or put it in one of my lugg?

P.s. pls pm me my wife did a new logo for dd! :-)

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2012, 02:23:59 AM »
In January we took our then-toddler and infant to EY for 3 weeks. The best piece of advice I can give is to get an Ergo or Beco carrier.
IMHI any other carrier doesn't cut it. For example, I was able to carry my 30 pound son for 6 hours straight with minimal back/shoulder discomfort.
Of course the details and advantages of the above-mentioned carriers deserve their own thread. However, it's noteworthy to mention that they're
indispensable for EY due to it's topography and many stairs etc.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2012, 02:42:46 AM »
In January we took our then-toddler and infant to EY for 3 weeks. The best piece of advice I can give is to get an Ergo or Beco carrier.
IMHI any other carrier doesn't cut it. For example, I was able to carry my 30 pound son for 6 hours straight with minimal back/shoulder discomfort.
Of course the details and advantages of the above-mentioned carriers deserve their own thread. However, it's noteworthy to mention that they're
indispensable for EY due to it's topography and many stairs etc.

Thanks dor te advice, though we live there and arw going back to continue living there, though im getting nervous now about bassinet & car seat (i dis not get my son his own seat either)

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm going to Israel end of this month with our 20-month old. We bought an extra seat for him (cheap elal tickets) and we will be taking his britax car seat (not the snap-n-go, the big one) with us using a sort-of hand truck that's designed for shlepping a car seat. We are hoping having him in the car seat will help him stay put and sleep.

The issue is what to do about an actual stroller while we're there. We also need a pack-n-play for the 3 nights we are not staying in a hotel.

I'm looking for someone (in the arzei-maalot dafna-machal area) who either has a stroller/crib/p-n-p for us to borrow or if anyone knows of a gemach for these sorts of things.

Feel free to chime in if you have any advice in general.

Thanks so much!
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »
Don't bring the Britax, I did it just now for the first time and it's a PITA.
It's just too heavy and bulky to fly with, can't fit down aisles, and your kid will be kicking the seat in front, guaranteed.

Get this instead, I just did myself!
It's lightweight, smaller, and a whole lot easier to deal with when flying.  Only works for up to 40 pounds, but for under $40 shipped it's worth the investment even for just 1 trip.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
Thanks for the advice, but what do you do about rolling it through the airport? Hand truck designed for a carseat?

Also what did you do about a stroller once you're shlepping the carseat?
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »
Thanks for the advice, but what do you do about rolling it through the airport? Hand truck designed for a carseat?

Also what did you do about a stroller once you're shlepping the carseat?
It should work for the Britax and the Cosco just fine, they're both convertible carseats.
We brought out UppaBaby through the airport and used it to help shlep the diaper bag and baby toys and then gate checked it.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »
Wow, so a carry on, a wife (additional carry-on), a shaitel box, a cosco car seat on a handtruck, AND a stroller?
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
Wow, so a carry on, a wife (additional carry-on), a shaitel box, a cosco car seat on a handtruck, AND a stroller?
Lol.
The stroller (esp an UB with its big basket) is actually a help though, you can put all your carry-ons in it.  Then you just collapse and gatecheck on the jetbridge.  Not too hard really.
We definitely could have checked it as luggage, but this worked out well as it holds everything.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
K but the real question is did you take the cosco carseat on a handtruck in addition to the stroller?
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
K but the real question is did you take the cosco carseat on a handtruck in addition to the stroller?
Yes, we took the Britax on the gogobabyz truck as well as the stroller to hold carry-ons.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
Lol.
The stroller (esp an UB with its big basket) is actually a help though, you can put all your carry-ons in it.  Then you just collapse and gatecheck on the jetbridge.  Not too hard really.
We definitely could have checked it as luggage, but this worked out well as it holds everything.
so dan, you had a car seat and a  bassinet, and you took the car seat on the flight and the bassinet and the UB base you checked in at the gate? you think delta will let me do the same - but i donty have a ticket for the baby and let me check in both bassi and carseat?