Topic Wiki

LMS - Last Man Standing.. Not FMS (First Man Standing) - This game is for night time only, not morning, afternoon, or evening.. NIGHT TIME ONLY!!

At night while most of the world is sleeping there are some members which are looking to socialize since they have no one else to speak to; they play a really exciting and fun game which basically every couple minutes you write a comment, the comments range from standing to sleeping, from young grasshoppers to old grasshoppers. it usually begins around 1:00 am EDT

RULES OF THE GAME:

1) Game starts at 1am Eastern, 12am Central, 11pm mountain, 10pm pacific... You get the point.
2) Anyone can call a roll call, just make a reply with "Roll Call". The roll call must be readable to the naked eye.
3) No more than one roll call every thirty minutes.
4) You have 30 minutes to respond to the roll call to stay active.
5) To respond to a roll call just post a reply with "Here" or "y y y"
6) If after one hour there are no more "Roll Calls" or "Heres", then the last person to post correctly either by calling a roll call or with a reply of "here" is declared winner of LMS.
7)You must have been awake for at least 12 hours before making or answering a RC.

OR IN SHORT:

When someone calls for a roll call. No more than one every 30 minutes and you have 30 minutes to respond "Here".

Poll

If Men Could Become Pregnant, Would You?

Yes, I love delivering babies!
Noooooo! I'm afraid....
Not sure. I'll ask my LOR

Author Topic: Random Posts  (Read 2256827 times)

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Random Posts
« Reply #15280 on: September 18, 2022, 01:09:52 AM »
Avinoam Fraenkel's Book The Introduction To Kabbalah has been a life changer for me.
IMHO it should be required curriculum in all Yeshivos and should count for infinitely more credits than some of the other utterly useless things they teach. All the while expecting underfed and fatigued teenage brains to sit quietly and take notes on the very things that they are taught the rest of the day have no intrinsic value but are rather a means to an end, while it's very clear to them that there the knowledge they are being imparted is of no other means than to obtain their diplomas. (Of course it's technically the right thing to do, but it's not very realistic.)

ואין לאדם לטייל בפרדס רק לאחר שמלא כריסו בשר ויין והוא לידע איסור והיתר ודיני המצות (רמב"ם סוף מדע ס"פ ד' מהל' יסודי התורה)

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15281 on: September 18, 2022, 02:25:08 AM »
ואין לאדם לטייל בפרדס רק לאחר שמלא כריסו בשר ויין והוא לידע איסור והיתר ודיני המצות (רמב"ם סוף מדע ס"פ ד' מהל' יסודי התורה)
Oh the irony of applying the Rambam to the שומר אמונים (which this book is a translation of) who discuses at length that the Rambam didn’t believe in חכמת הנסתר. So he obviously wouldn’t be referring to this!
Anyway it’s unfortunate that some basic background and basic concepts aren’t taught because they come up all the time and very few have a remote idea what it’s referring to. It’s impossible to learn for example נפש החיים without it. There is deep and there is too deep, this wouldn’t be too deep IMO. It’s basic stuff.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #15282 on: September 18, 2022, 09:14:30 AM »
Oh the irony of applying the Rambam to the שומר אמונים (which this book is a translation of) who discuses at length that the Rambam didn’t believe in חכמת הנסתר. So he obviously wouldn’t be referring to this!

Really? This Rambam is literally quoted by everyone in regards to תורת הקבלה. Look no further than the Rma in Y"D 246:4 who quotes that Rambam, And the Shach there who writes;

ואילו ראה דברי הרמב"ם שבספ"ד מהלכות יסודי התורה שהבאתי לא כתב כן גם המקובלים ושאר האחרונים הפליגו בדבר שלא ללמוד חכמת הקבלה עד אחר שמילא כריסו מהש"ס ויש שכתבו שלא ללמוד קבלה עד שיהא בן ארבעים שנה כמ"ש בן ארבעים לבינה בשגם שצריך קדושה וטהרה וזריזות ונקיות לזה ורוב המתפרצים לעלות בחכמה זו קודם הזמן הראוי קומטו בלא עת כמ"ש כל זה בד' חכמי האמת

It's possible that some basic יסודות is permissible but that's a slippery slope and certainly not something we should advocate it should be required curriculum in all Yeshivos. 

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #15283 on: September 18, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
Really? This Rambam is literally quoted by everyone in regards to תורת הקבלה
Yes! Thus the irony. The sources you quoted are applying the Rambams deep philosophy version of פרדס to חכמת הנסתר.
It's possible that some basic יסודות is permissible but that's a slippery slope and certainly not something we should advocate it should be required curriculum in all Yeshivos. 
This book has an absolutely fantastic overview of the history of Kabbalah and the traditional defenses to it’s validity. This should be absolutely required. Admittedly not other parts. That was the goal of the שומר אמונים, to explains it’s credibility and מסורה. I would think you should read it first. Then we can continue the convo :)

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #15284 on: September 18, 2022, 10:12:36 AM »
This way we won't be accused of playing favorites.  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #15285 on: September 18, 2022, 02:13:23 PM »
This way we won't be accused of playing favorites.  :)
Can’t do nothin right eh >:(
If you’re going that route just say I don’t like YU. That would be true :)

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #15286 on: September 18, 2022, 02:29:40 PM »
Can’t do nothin right eh >:(
If you’re going that route just say I don’t like YU. That would be true :)
My post had nothing to do with the current conversation in this thread. I would say what it has to do with but mod actions are not to be discussed.  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #15287 on: September 19, 2022, 09:50:48 AM »
You know for sure a person isn't a constipationist when you witness them wielding a huge axe.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #15288 on: September 19, 2022, 06:59:33 PM »
How do you post high quality images to DDF?
It keeps on saying file size too large.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #15289 on: September 19, 2022, 07:02:10 PM »
How do you post high quality images to DDF?
It keeps on saying file size too large.

Click add image to post right underneath the text box.

Ignore the "attachments and other options" below that.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15290 on: September 19, 2022, 10:51:04 PM »
Whole busload of collectors in shul this morning.
I give a bunch of them $5, then one of them hands me this after I said $5  :o ::)

maybe that's his pin to unlock machine and he didn't realize he typed it in already and typed it again

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15291 on: September 20, 2022, 01:27:12 AM »
Really? This Rambam is literally quoted by everyone in regards to תורת הקבלה. Look no further than the Rma in Y"D 246:4 who quotes that Rambam, And the Shach there who writes;

ואילו ראה דברי הרמב"ם שבספ"ד מהלכות יסודי התורה שהבאתי לא כתב כן גם המקובלים ושאר האחרונים הפליגו בדבר שלא ללמוד חכמת הקבלה עד אחר שמילא כריסו מהש"ס ויש שכתבו שלא ללמוד קבלה עד שיהא בן ארבעים שנה כמ"ש בן ארבעים לבינה בשגם שצריך קדושה וטהרה וזריזות ונקיות לזה ורוב המתפרצים לעלות בחכמה זו קודם הזמן הראוי קומטו בלא עת כמ"ש כל זה בד' חכמי האמת

Not so slippery, not so dangerous...It's over 300 years, time to get over the phobia of kabbalah.. Nobody serious about kabbalah ever heeded that warning, name me 1 person in history that started learning kabbalah after 40 and was successful in mastering it!
So tell me, can you learn תניא & נפש החיים b4 the age of 40???
And if they bring down רמ"ק , אריזל, זוהר then obviously ur expected to have some background in those seforim...

At this rate I truly believe that in 100 years the secular academics will  have a more thorough understanding of kabbalah than pretty much any frum רבנים... So let's encourage it's study... Can't hurt for a ישיבה בחורto be able to learn a piece of נפש החיים.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #15292 on: September 20, 2022, 08:33:33 AM »
Not so slippery, not so dangerous...It's over 300 years, time to get over the phobia of kabbalah.. Nobody serious about kabbalah ever heeded that warning, name me 1 person in history that started learning kabbalah after 40 and was successful in mastering it!
So tell me, can you learn תניא & נפש החיים b4 the age of 40???
And if they bring down רמ"ק , אריזל, זוהר then obviously ur expected to have some background in those seforim...

At this rate I truly believe that in 100 years the secular academics will  have a more thorough understanding of kabbalah than pretty much any frum רבנים... So let's encourage it's study... Can't hurt for a ישיבה בחורto be able to learn a piece of נפש החיים.

I'd rather heed to what perhaps the biggest authority on such matters has to say. I'm quoting what the הרבי רבי אלימלך מליזענסק זי׳׳ע בהנהגת האדם writes on learning כתבי האר׳׳י while not in being ראוי לאותה איצטלא. Perhaps you are, but unfortunately I'm not and it's certainly not suppose to be a נחלת הכלל.

ה. ולפעמים ילמוד באימה במעט איזה כתבים מהאר"י זצלל״ה, וכל זה באימה וביראה ופחד ה'. בדורות הראשונים היו נשמותיהם נשמות קדושות והיו נשמרים מנעוריהם מכל חטא ועון והיו נשמותיהם ראויים ומסוגלים ללמוד חכמה זאת, אבל עתה בעוונותינו הרבים שיש לנו גוף עכור וחומר עב, צריך האדם לזכך ולכבס עצמו מכל חטא ולזכך נשמתו. ויבין האדם אם זיכך נשמתו כאשר אין יצה"ר מסיתו לשטות והבלים כאשר בתחילה, ואז יוכל ללמוד בכל פעם הכתבים. והשם יתברך יזכהו אם יזכך מחשבתו בקדושה באמת ובתמים, שיפתח לו שערי החכמה בכתבי האר״י זללה״ה, אשר לא כן כל זמן שמלובש בתאוות גופניות בהבלי זמן שהלימוד קשה לו מאד ח״ו

I'm aware that there was differing opinions on the matter. Places like זידיטשוב-קאמארנא were famously more lax about it, but the longstanding mainstream approach was to be very cautious on learning תורת הנסתר and the onus to explain otherwise was always on them, and indeed they dedicated such in their writings.

It is possible that some very basics are permissible, but to dismiss the whole mesoreh of being very careful that it's just "phobias" goes to show how everything has become a joke nowadays.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #15293 on: September 20, 2022, 09:04:26 AM »
I'd rather heed to what perhaps the biggest authority on such matters has to say. I'm quoting what the הרבי רבי אלימלך מליזענסק זי׳׳ע בהנהגת האדם writes on learning כתבי האר׳׳י while not in being ראוי לאותה איצטלא. Perhaps you are, but unfortunately I'm not and it's certainly not suppose to be a נחלת הכלל.

ה. ולפעמים ילמוד באימה במעט איזה כתבים מהאר"י זצלל״ה, וכל זה באימה וביראה ופחד ה'. בדורות הראשונים היו נשמותיהם נשמות קדושות והיו נשמרים מנעוריהם מכל חטא ועון והיו נשמותיהם ראויים ומסוגלים ללמוד חכמה זאת, אבל עתה בעוונותינו הרבים שיש לנו גוף עכור וחומר עב, צריך האדם לזכך ולכבס עצמו מכל חטא ולזכך נשמתו. ויבין האדם אם זיכך נשמתו כאשר אין יצה"ר מסיתו לשטות והבלים כאשר בתחילה, ואז יוכל ללמוד בכל פעם הכתבים. והשם יתברך יזכהו אם יזכך מחשבתו בקדושה באמת ובתמים, שיפתח לו שערי החכמה בכתבי האר״י זללה״ה, אשר לא כן כל זמן שמלובש בתאוות גופניות בהבלי זמן שהלימוד קשה לו מאד ח״ו

I'm aware that there was differing opinions on the matter. Places like זידיטשוב-קאמארנא were famously more lax about it, but the longstanding mainstream approach was to be very cautious on learning תורת הנסתר and the onus to explain otherwise was always on them, and indeed they dedicated such in their writings.

It is possible that some very basics are permissible, but to dismiss the whole mesoreh of being very careful that it's just "phobias" goes to show how everything has become a joke nowadays.
Would he say the same about נפש החיים? How about שפע טל?
There is deep and too deep. No one is advocating opening Kabbalah centers and teaching כתבי אר״י here. But there are all sorts of classical seforim which there is no way to understand without basic knowledge. It’s absurd to be learning basic seforim which are constantly referencing ספירות, if one wouldn’t know what a sefira is if it hit him in the face. In fact that is dangerous in it self.
אלו ואלו דברי אלקים חיים . You would greatly benefit from the book I mentioned. It provides the crucial context necessary to understand the opposition.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #15294 on: September 20, 2022, 09:51:17 AM »

Start with learning Chabad Chassidus :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15295 on: September 20, 2022, 10:33:03 AM »

Not dismissing the whole thing as a joke at all.
Quite the opposite, it was SPECIFICALLY the כתבי ארי that many were concerned about in regards to young or not serious students studying it superficially, as it is much easier to come to הגשמה or other misunderstandings...are there not enough ספרי קבלה from the גאונים , ראשונים , all the way until Arizal to keep you busy?
How many Yeshivas can you walk into and not be able to find 1 person who can read the רמב"ן on the parsha cuz it's kabbalah..

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #15296 on: September 20, 2022, 10:53:27 AM »
Not dismissing the whole thing as a joke at all.
Quite the opposite, it was SPECIFICALLY the כתבי ארי that many were concerned about in regards to young or not serious students studying it superficially, as it is much easier to come to הגשמה or other misunderstandings...are there not enough ספרי קבלה from the גאונים , ראשונים , all the way until Arizal to keep you busy?

How many Yeshivas can you walk into and not be able to find 1 person who can read the רמב"ן on the parsha cuz it's kabbalah..

Good that you mentioned רמב׳׳ן על התורה, all I need to do is to just quote what he famously writes and warns in his הקדמה.

ואני הנני מביא בברית נאמנה, והיא הנותנת עצה הוגנת לכל מסתכל בספר הזה, לבל יסבור סברה ואל יחשוב מחשבות בדבר מכל הרמזים אשר אני כותב בסתרי התורה, כי אני מודיעו נאמנה שלא יושגו דברי ולא יודעו כלל בשום שכל ובינה, זולתי מפי מקובל חכם לאוזן מקובל מבין. והסברא בהן אולת, מחשבה מועלת, רבת הנזקין מנועת התועלת. אל יאמן בשוא נתעה, כי לא תבואהו בסברותיו רק רעה, כי ידברו אל ה' סרה, אשר לא יכלו כפרה, שנאמר: "אדם תועה מדרך השכל, בקהל רפאים ינוח", אל יהרסו אל ה' לראות (שמות יט כד), כי ה' אלוהינו אש אוכלה הוא אל קנאות. והוא יראה את רצוייו מתורתו נפלאות.

אבל יחזו בפירושינו חדושים בפשטים ובמדרשים, ויקחו מוסר מפי רבותינו הקדושים: "בגדול ממך אל תדרוש, בחזק ממך בל תחקור, במופלא ממך בל תדע, במכוסה ממך בל תשאל, במה שהורשית התבונן, ואין לך עסק בנסתרות

Worst excuse ever not to learn Ramban.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #15297 on: September 20, 2022, 11:00:56 AM »
Start with learning Chabad Chassidus :)

The חילוקי דעות with Chabad on that matter is as old as Chabad itself. Many contemporaries of the Alta Rebbe like the Chernobil'a Magid and others (also as seen in the R'R Elimeilech I referenced above) raised concerns about this, in particular because it can lead to a situation where it becomes חכמתו מרובה ממעשיו.

I'm sure it's אלו ואלו דברי אלוקים חיים, and Tanya itself was always widely learned. But since I was not born to Geirim or BT I'll stick to what my traditions were.

(Eta, interesting anecdote. My grandfather sent my father to R Mendel Vechter's yeshiva (באותו שעה כשר היה :P) in part because he was giving a good shuir in Tanya for the bochurim. To this day my father is very well versed in Tanya.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 11:15:28 AM by EliJelly »

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15298 on: September 20, 2022, 11:17:39 AM »
Good that you mentioned רמב׳׳ן על התורה, all I need to do is to just quote what he famously writes and warns in his הקדמה.

ואני הנני מביא בברית נאמנה, והיא הנותנת עצה הוגנת לכל מסתכל בספר הזה, לבל יסבור סברה ואל יחשוב מחשבות בדבר מכל הרמזים אשר אני כותב בסתרי התורה, כי אני מודיעו נאמנה שלא יושגו דברי ולא יודעו כלל בשום שכל ובינה, זולתי מפי מקובל חכם לאוזן מקובל מבין. והסברא בהן אולת, מחשבה מועלת, רבת הנזקין מנועת התועלת. אל יאמן בשוא נתעה, כי לא תבואהו בסברותיו רק רעה, כי ידברו אל ה' סרה, אשר לא יכלו כפרה, שנאמר: "אדם תועה מדרך השכל, בקהל רפאים ינוח", אל יהרסו אל ה' לראות (שמות יט כד), כי ה' אלוהינו אש אוכלה הוא אל קנאות. והוא יראה את רצוייו מתורתו נפלאות.

אבל יחזו בפירושינו חדושים בפשטים ובמדרשים, ויקחו מוסר מפי רבותינו הקדושים: "בגדול ממך אל תדרוש, בחזק ממך בל תחקור, במופלא ממך בל תדע, במכוסה ממך בל תשאל, במה שהורשית התבונן, ואין לך עסק בנסתרות

Worst excuse ever not to learn Ramban.
Indeed!
Think about it like this, the Zohar was only discovered at the end of the Rambans lifetime, now it's 2020... Over the last almost 800 years many perushim were written.. Many basic concepts in kaballah that Ramban alludes to and then says סוד הוא ואיני יכול לגלות or some other terminology, for example סוד העיבור וסוד הגלגול wasn't expounded upon then, but by the 1500s it was pretty much universally accepted by pretty much all mekubalim and expounded upon in length... So yes, ofcourse I'm not denying that his words are in great depth but let's acknowledge that in 1200s half the things the Ramban discusses were relatively unknown and only discussed in short and cryptic writings...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #15299 on: September 20, 2022, 11:25:32 AM »
The חילוקי דעות with Chabad on that matter is as old as Chabad itself. Many contemporaries of the Alta Rebbe like the Chernobil'a Magid and others (also as seen in the R'R Elimeilech I referenced above) raised concerns about this, in particular because it can lead to a situation where it becomes חכמתו מרובה ממעשיו.

I'm sure it's אלו ואלו דברי אלוקים חיים, and Tanya itself was always widely learned. But since I was not born to Geirim or BT I'll stick to what my traditions were.

(Eta, interesting anecdote. My grandfather sent my father to R Mendel Vechter's yeshiva (באותו שעה כשר היה :P) in part because he was giving a good shuir in Tanya for the bochurim. To this day my father is very well versed in Tanya.)
Sounds like your traditions are to study chabad chassidus then. A true chaval to miss out on p'nimious d'Torah.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.