Topic Wiki

LMS - Last Man Standing.. Not FMS (First Man Standing) - This game is for night time only, not morning, afternoon, or evening.. NIGHT TIME ONLY!!

At night while most of the world is sleeping there are some members which are looking to socialize since they have no one else to speak to; they play a really exciting and fun game which basically every couple minutes you write a comment, the comments range from standing to sleeping, from young grasshoppers to old grasshoppers. it usually begins around 1:00 am EDT

RULES OF THE GAME:

1) Game starts at 1am Eastern, 12am Central, 11pm mountain, 10pm pacific... You get the point.
2) Anyone can call a roll call, just make a reply with "Roll Call". The roll call must be readable to the naked eye.
3) No more than one roll call every thirty minutes.
4) You have 30 minutes to respond to the roll call to stay active.
5) To respond to a roll call just post a reply with "Here" or "y y y"
6) If after one hour there are no more "Roll Calls" or "Heres", then the last person to post correctly either by calling a roll call or with a reply of "here" is declared winner of LMS.
7)You must have been awake for at least 12 hours before making or answering a RC.

OR IN SHORT:

When someone calls for a roll call. No more than one every 30 minutes and you have 30 minutes to respond "Here".

Poll

If Men Could Become Pregnant, Would You?

Yes, I love delivering babies!
Noooooo! I'm afraid....
Not sure. I'll ask my LOR

Author Topic: Random Posts  (Read 2248229 times)

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
Re: What's The Problem With Birth Control?
« Reply #9140 on: December 25, 2015, 12:16:37 AM »
I'm out of popcorn since page 3 so im moving on to 🍔🍟🍗🍖🍝🍛

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: December 25, 2015, 12:17:44 AM »

And please don't reply by what your Das Bal Habayis says. If you have a Halachdig argument you're more than welcome.
I was making a Halchadig argument. The inyan of Grama doesn't seem to fit into the discussion about the chiyuv to have children. If Rav Moshe says it does, I'd read his words, and harava on it, and try to understand them. (As I've done many times. I'm getting tired of having to defend myself against an accusation that I don't have full respect for Rav Moshe)

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: December 25, 2015, 12:20:16 AM »

It's called having a vasectomy.

No. That's the equivalent of woman having her tubes tied. We're talking temporary infertility here, not permanent.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: December 25, 2015, 12:22:29 AM »
To clear the air, on a lighter note... A real story that happened many years ago:
A Jewish lady was on the bus with 6 of her children. A non Jewish lady was looking at her for a while and then finally came over and asked: I don't understand, why didn't you just leave half of the kids at home?... The Jewish lady answered: but that's exactly what I did!

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9144 on: December 25, 2015, 12:25:04 AM »
I am pretty sure r Moshe does discuss it at the location I mentioned earlier.
Thanks! Will check it out tomorrow..

I was just saying what I remembered off hand....
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: December 25, 2015, 12:31:18 AM »
Thanks! Will check it out tomorrow..

I was just saying what I remembered off hand....
Pls post. The gist of my post was asking you if you are sure that that's what Rav Moshe said.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: December 25, 2015, 12:32:42 AM »
As far as I remember, yes. But I am always happy to say "I was wrong"  :)
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Why Not Say The F Word?
« Reply #9147 on: December 25, 2015, 12:45:21 AM »

If that from Rabbi Eliezrie's book?

Offline mrprez27

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: December 25, 2015, 12:47:52 AM »
I disagree. Morality is entirely dependent on religion. Without religion there's no reason why the law of the jungle shouldn't be the law.

But what's that got to do with cursing?
There's a lot of Atheists who still follow moral laws (what is morality in its self is a highly debatable topic) . . . are we talking about Murder (Ok what constitutes murder) . . . are we talking about things like "Adultery" - Society is divided on that. 

There's a huge philosophical debate regarding religion and morality.

Now here's how your question is a issue: By saying Morality is dependent on religion what your doing is assuming that the laws we have in place in society are only there (Most people consider the laws we have in place as moral - it's illegal to kill in US law and the Torah) and we consider these things 'normal' and thus why when we see people like ISIS and what there doing as 'barbaric'.

Anyhow the big question you pose --Brings us to this---> is our laws based on the Bible/Torah -  (Old Testament-How ever you flavor it)-many will say though that it's just known that you shouldn't "Kill"  steal, rape.

So it brings us to a huge philosophical question: What really makes what's shown in the Bible "Moral"...as Jews or people we have  alot of issues in our religion that we debate and discuss but everyone can agree that certain things are just true. Its wrong to Kill for no reason, Steal, Rape.

Which gets me to the actual question: Is what G-d says is moral, moral because G-d says it or is it Moral independently and G-d says it. -- Is murder wrong because G-d tells us not to do it or does G-d tell us not to it because it is wrong.

Your second point of the "Law Of the Jungle" which I assume is a phrase to do what ever you want --> but societies have always set up laws...you can bring me points about ISIS and other groups who ARE doing what they want -- killing, raping...and they do it under a "Religion"...but to be fair they are just perverting the ISLAM religion.

Attached is the literature supplied by my Atheist Ethics professor when we broached this topic. Almost all of the arguments I presented I believe can be refuted . . . personally I disagree with a lot of what's mentioned in the text, including my arguments above...Im just playing devils advocate.

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: December 25, 2015, 12:55:33 AM »
There's a lot of Atheists who still follow moral laws (what is morality in its self is a highly debatable topic) . . . are we talking about Murder (Ok what constitutes murder) . . . are we talking about things like "Adultery" - Society is divided on that. 

Now here's how your question is a issue: By saying Morality is dependent on religion what your doing is assuming that the laws we have in place in society are only there (Most people consider the laws we have in place as moral - it's illegal to kill in US law and the Torah) and we consider these things 'normal' and thus why when we see people like ISIS and what there doing as 'barbaric'.

Anyhow the big question you pose --Brings us to this---> is our laws based on the Bible/Torah -  (Old Testament-How ever you flavor it)-many will say though that it's just known that you shouldn't "Kill"  steal, rape.

So it brings us to a huge philosophical question: What really makes what's shown in the Bible "Moral"...as Jews or people we have  alot of issues in our religion that we debate and discuss but everyone can agree that certain things are just true. Its wrong to Kill for no reason, Steal, Rape.

Which gets me to the actual question: Is what G-d says is moral, moral because G-d says it or is it Moral independently and G-d says it. -- Is murder wrong because G-d tells us not to do it or does G-d tell us not to it because it is wrong.

Your second point of the "Law Of the Jungle" which I assume is a phrase to do what ever you want --> but societies have always set up laws...you can bring me points about ISIS and other groups who ARE doing what they want -- killing, raping...and they do it under a "Religion"...but to be fair they are just perverting the ISLAM religion.

Attached is the literature supplied by my Atheist Ethics professor when we broached this topic. Almost all of the arguments I presented I believe can be refuted . . . personally I disagree with a lot of what's mentioned in the text, including my arguments above...Im just playing devils advocate.

that is kefira  >:(

Offline mrprez27

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9150 on: December 25, 2015, 01:00:37 AM »
that is kefira  >:(

True -- I shouldn't be posting this Rubbish lol - Its all Academic Nonsense honestly.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: December 25, 2015, 01:09:54 AM »

Wow that's long winded. My response would have been:

How do you explain the existence of atheists who hold themselves to a moral standard?

The answer? They probably view morality as a social contract. You and me don't want to be killed, raped or robbed so we agree as a society to outlaw murder, rape and theft.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline yudamaan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong with walking around naked?
« Reply #9152 on: December 25, 2015, 01:11:38 AM »

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: December 25, 2015, 01:12:51 AM »
Figured I'd beat Mesh to it.

Essentially there is nothing wrong. This is the way we were created and it's perfectly natural. It only became "wrong" after the Chet Eitz Hada'as.

Certain tribes in Africa today don't believe in wearing clothing.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: December 25, 2015, 01:14:33 AM »
+1000

The other threads should be deleted as well. They're beyond ridiculous (and that's the least of their problems).

What's with all the "delete these threads" demonstrations? This is the JS section. Nobody is breaking any rules here AFAIK.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: December 25, 2015, 01:18:45 AM »
Absolutely nothing- that's how we are born. And who are we to think we can outdo G-d!?

You are right.  I'm taking them off right now, it's against gods will.

Essentially there is nothing wrong. This is the way we were created and it's perfectly natural. It only became "wrong" after the Chet Eitz Hada'as.

Certain tribes in Africa today don't believe in wearing clothing.
POIDH
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #9156 on: December 25, 2015, 01:19:22 AM »
In the secular world today it is common to curse. What makes you say that it is a problem for them? It's part of their normal vocabulary.
It's not allowed on TV (except on HBO).
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: December 25, 2015, 01:19:55 AM »

Morality independent of Torah has no basis to rely on.  Society will make up rules that suit themselves and the parameter of morality will change over time.
When I was young (many years ago) there was shock and much discussion over euthanasia - mercy killings.  Now it is the highest level of morality to 'die with dignity', so starving hospitalized Grandma to death is moral.
Abortion for a woman who's life 'would be ruined' by having a baby now - mostly moral today.

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #9158 on: December 25, 2015, 01:21:59 AM »
If not an expression of relief, I believe I did come across some studies that claimed cursing actually provided relief from pain (like cursing after stubbing your toe, etc.)
It definitely provides relief.

You should try it one day.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: December 25, 2015, 01:22:45 AM »
There's a lot of Atheists who still follow moral laws
Then I'll disagree with you that they are atheists. If they believe in morality they believe in a Higher Being. "All men are created equal in the eyes of G-d." Tale away the last part of that sentence and you're left with a "says who?". We don't look like we were created equal. If we are all just another species of animals then just like animals, the strongest (richest/smartest/whitest, etc.) one gets his way.

Looking at ancient civilizations (or indeed the idea of a civilization as opposed to a nomadic tribe), you see that it wasn't "known." It was an idea that had to be introduced to humanity. The Torah was the one that introduced morals to the world.

Again, these have been accepted as cultural truths. But- why is it wrong to steal or rape. I want that. I'm stronger, I could grab it away- so therefore, I should have it. It is only the idea that we all have equal rights to life, to our possessions (because we were created equal in the eys of G-d) that changes things.

Yes, I've heard that one. It's right up there with the big questions along with "Can G-d create a stone too heavy for him to lift?"

The answer: As a Jew, I believe first (if there can even be a concept of first or later before the creation of time) there was G-d. G-d decides it's good to be good and bad to be bad. He decides what is good and what is bad. (I think that's the order...) He lets us know what is good and what is bad in the Torah.

If you can envision the notion of Morality before god, that morality exists and therefore god desires it- then what is your god worth?

Societies have also set up religions- but that is irrelevent. A society setting up laws in order for it to be able to function isn't acting on behalf of morality. If I don't steal from you just so that you won't steal me- that is just selfish. Not moral.

Too small to read. Maybe I'm getting old.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 01:28:12 AM by wayfe »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman