Topic Wiki

LMS - Last Man Standing.. Not FMS (First Man Standing) - This game is for night time only, not morning, afternoon, or evening.. NIGHT TIME ONLY!!

At night while most of the world is sleeping there are some members which are looking to socialize since they have no one else to speak to; they play a really exciting and fun game which basically every couple minutes you write a comment, the comments range from standing to sleeping, from young grasshoppers to old grasshoppers. it usually begins around 1:00 am EDT

RULES OF THE GAME:

1) Game starts at 1am Eastern, 12am Central, 11pm mountain, 10pm pacific... You get the point.
2) Anyone can call a roll call, just make a reply with "Roll Call". The roll call must be readable to the naked eye.
3) No more than one roll call every thirty minutes.
4) You have 30 minutes to respond to the roll call to stay active.
5) To respond to a roll call just post a reply with "Here" or "y y y"
6) If after one hour there are no more "Roll Calls" or "Heres", then the last person to post correctly either by calling a roll call or with a reply of "here" is declared winner of LMS.
7)You must have been awake for at least 12 hours before making or answering a RC.

OR IN SHORT:

When someone calls for a roll call. No more than one every 30 minutes and you have 30 minutes to respond "Here".

Poll

If Men Could Become Pregnant, Would You?

Yes, I love delivering babies!
Noooooo! I'm afraid....
Not sure. I'll ask my LOR

Author Topic: Random Posts  (Read 2258753 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: What's The Problem With Birth Control?
« Reply #9280 on: December 25, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
+1. This is clearly what CBC was referring to.Now whether or not this line of halachic reasoning is correct, and would cause R' Moshe to reconsider his psak, that's not for you or I to say.
I sure hope nobody is taking anything on DDF as remotely construing a psak halacha.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #9281 on: December 25, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
+1. This is clearly what CBC was referring to.
That's not what he said though.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: In Halacha: What Is The Punishment For Blasphemy?
« Reply #9282 on: December 25, 2015, 11:58:26 AM »
Ok, that was helpful.
Maybe this will be enlightening.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #9283 on: December 25, 2015, 11:59:17 AM »
Here is one possible motive.

" The Romans would have had reason to want to silence Jesus, who had been called by some of his followers “King of the Jews,” and was known as a Jewish upstart miracle-worker. Jews, on the other hand, lacked a motive for killing Jesus."

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/who-killed-jesus/
Does that collaborat as to how the gemara tells us the story?

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: December 25, 2015, 12:00:39 PM »
Care to enlighten us?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #9285 on: December 25, 2015, 12:04:19 PM »
Care to enlighten us?
I'm just asking. I have no idea.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: December 25, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »
Why not?

If Yeshu from the Gemara is Jesus of Nazareth, that would put him back almost 200 BC which would contradict the New Testament account and timing.

Read this

http://mama.indstate.edu/users/nizrael/jesusrefutation.html

Offline luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: December 25, 2015, 12:09:44 PM »

Consensus of all the poskim is that financial considerations may not be taken into account for this mitzva.

Rav Moshe wrote many responsa dealing with the pill, and the evolution of his thought on it is a fascinating study. His earliest responsum (Even Haezer 4:74:2) is from 1960, shortly after the pill was approved by the FDA. At that point, he wrote that if there is no danger in taking them and if they do not cause bleeding, they are permitted for financial reasons if the man has fulfilled his mitzvah of procreation.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Why Not Say The F Word?
« Reply #9288 on: December 25, 2015, 12:19:50 PM »
Who's talking religion? We're discussing morals, irrespective of their roots or source. There is a possible argument to be made that the fact that this edict against stealing is ultimately  beneficial to the potential thief, as it facilitates the functioning of a society he needs, would be rain enough to stop him. However, the consequence deterrent would likely be a much stronger factor, and eliminating that would result in a much higher level of theft.

That is all very good if he is from the haves and detrimental to him if he is from the have nots and is going hungry. According to this reasoning the Soviets were very moral. They killed the previous enforcers and proceeded to enforce that all belongs to them. Same with ISIS. The supreme authority in your world is whoever is most powerful.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: December 25, 2015, 12:21:03 PM »
Death penalty?

If by blasphemy you mean מברך את השם
It's also part of the 7 Noahid laws.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 12:47:40 PM by luckyluck »

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: December 25, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »
+1. This is clearly what CBC was referring to.Now whether or not this line of halachic reasoning is correct, and would cause R' Moshe to reconsider his psak, that's not for you or I to say.

-1 look at the full context.

I have heard from more than one talmid of his that he never told people to use the pill. R Henkin felt there was sakana in using the pill. Both reasons may not apply to today's pills and many of their talmidim duo tell people to use them
Why don't they apply? An experienced rov told me once that virtually all pills cause staining. Definitely at the beginning. Idk..
First of all, I wrote may and there is definitely significant improvement since the sixties. Also, I have heard from my rabbeim that the issue is not so common with today's pills and even then only at the beginning.
My research on this matter is that the issue is very prevalent, but for other reasons rabbonim are not concerned about these stains (R moshes concern )

And in the medical world mild staining is not considered a concern that needs improvement.

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: December 25, 2015, 12:33:20 PM »
Thanks!

I'm not a rambam so y'all shouldnt learn me up as one.
Point was that staining still needs to be considered as part of the equation.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: December 25, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »
Why not?

If Yeshu from the Gemara is Jesus of Nazareth, that would put him back almost 200 BC which would contradict the New Testament account and timing.

Read this

http://mama.indstate.edu/users/nizrael/jesusrefutation.html
So are saying that Yeshu has nothing to do with Jesus?

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Why Not Say The F Word?
« Reply #9293 on: December 25, 2015, 01:07:09 PM »
Who's talking religion? We're discussing morals, irrespective of their roots or source. There is a possible argument to be made that the fact that this edict against stealing is ultimately  beneficial to the potential thief, as it facilitates the functioning of a society he needs, would be rain enough to stop him. However, the consequence deterrent would likely be a much stronger factor, and eliminating that would result in a much higher level of theft.

We might just be disagreeing on semantics. If somebody is not committing a crime because he might get caught, that doesn't make him have morals or act morally (or at least intentionally morally)

The point remains that the only reason somebody doesn't do wrong is:

A. He believes in a Higher Being that doesn't allow it = morals. Ideas about equality or human rights fall into this category

B. He's out to serve himself = selfishness, not morals. "Do not do unto others what you wouldn't have done unto you" falls into this category.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 01:10:42 PM by wayfe »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: December 25, 2015, 01:11:51 PM »
We might just be disagreeing on semantics. If somebody is not committing a crime because he might get caught, that doesn't make him have morals or act morally (or at least intentionally morally)
We might just not be talking about the same thing, which is what I suspect. The question asked was why someone shouldn't steal. I wad just saying that morals don't have to come into play to answer that question. I wasn't talking about how to define moral.
JTZ

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: December 25, 2015, 01:12:32 PM »
So are saying that Yeshu has nothing to do with Jesus?
No, I'm saying that the New Testament account is BS.

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: December 25, 2015, 01:16:49 PM »

We might just not be talking about the same thing, which is what I suspect. The question asked was why someone shouldn't steal. I wad just saying that morals don't have to come into play to answer that question. I wasn't talking about how to define moral.

Well people refrain from evil for either reasons of morality or of selfishness.
Which goes to prove that all morality stems from religion (or it isn't actual morality, rather selfishness) that brings us back to the point discussed that atheists can't be moral (or they can't be atheists) how that be brings us back to cursing had yet to be answered.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #9297 on: December 25, 2015, 01:20:37 PM »
B. He's out to serve himself = selfishness, not morals. "Do not do unto others what you wouldn't have done unto you" falls into this category.
Do unto others etc. Is not morals if and only if it is with the expectation that it will cause other to not do it unto you. If they will do it or not do it regardless of your actions then it is not self serving.

That "selfishness" is not morals is somewhat debatable see "the Virtues of Selfishness" by Ayn Rand. She also discuses what she considers to be rational reasons for her brand of morality.

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: December 25, 2015, 01:27:56 PM »

Do unto others etc. Is not morals if and only if it is with the expectation that it will cause other to not do it unto you. If they will do it or not do it regardless of your actions then it is not self serving.

It's still self-serving in intent.

— Richard Feynman

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #9299 on: December 25, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »
It's still self-serving in intent.

How