Topic Wiki

LMS - Last Man Standing.. Not FMS (First Man Standing) - This game is for night time only, not morning, afternoon, or evening.. NIGHT TIME ONLY!!

At night while most of the world is sleeping there are some members which are looking to socialize since they have no one else to speak to; they play a really exciting and fun game which basically every couple minutes you write a comment, the comments range from standing to sleeping, from young grasshoppers to old grasshoppers. it usually begins around 1:00 am EDT

RULES OF THE GAME:

1) Game starts at 1am Eastern, 12am Central, 11pm mountain, 10pm pacific... You get the point.
2) Anyone can call a roll call, just make a reply with "Roll Call". The roll call must be readable to the naked eye.
3) No more than one roll call every thirty minutes.
4) You have 30 minutes to respond to the roll call to stay active.
5) To respond to a roll call just post a reply with "Here" or "y y y"
6) If after one hour there are no more "Roll Calls" or "Heres", then the last person to post correctly either by calling a roll call or with a reply of "here" is declared winner of LMS.
7)You must have been awake for at least 12 hours before making or answering a RC.

OR IN SHORT:

When someone calls for a roll call. No more than one every 30 minutes and you have 30 minutes to respond "Here".

Poll

If Men Could Become Pregnant, Would You?

Yes, I love delivering babies!
Noooooo! I'm afraid....
Not sure. I'll ask my LOR

Author Topic: Random Posts  (Read 2258667 times)

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Why Not Say The F Word?
« Reply #9320 on: December 25, 2015, 02:08:15 PM »
You lost me.  Why doesn't the fact that society has developed an innate feeling of "murder is wrong" make it immoral?

You don't understand what the word innate means. It means inborn, natural, inextricably tied with the nature of the thing itself, part of the DNA. Such things do not change. Society can't develop innate feelings. They are either innate or need to be developed.

Why should I care what feelings society developed? Society is flawed. What if society developed a feeling that killing is pleasurable and moral. Should I need to change my views to accept those of society? Society is not the be all and end all- only G-d is.

Back up one second.  So now murder isn't immoral?  Do you see the pretzel you're twisting yourself into to try to convince yourself that morality requires religion.
I haven't twisted myself at. Murder is by it's own nature neither moral or immoral. In those cases that G-d decreed it immoral it is  immoral and in those situations that G-d demands it, it is moral.

But you haven't answered my question:
If G-d would have created a Torah where it was a Mitzvah to kill innocent people- would you? Would you consider yourself immoral?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: In Halacha: What Is The Punishment For Blasphemy?
« Reply #9321 on: December 25, 2015, 02:10:09 PM »
Did Jesus exist?
I believe so.

Who made it up? And how did that person get a billion of people to believe a fact that never happened?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: December 25, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »

But let me ask you this: If G-d would have created a Torah where it was a Mitzvah to kill innocent people- would you? Would you consider yourself immoral?

Do you consider Muslim terrorists to be immoral?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: December 25, 2015, 02:11:47 PM »
I believe so.

Who made it up? And how did that person get a billion of people to believe a fact that never happened?
Ummm...the Koran was told to Mohammed by an angel...thats the story too. He's got 1.5 Billion followers too.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: December 25, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »
I believe so.

How did hitler get people to believe that jews are the biggest problem. How did obama get people to believe he'd change America?
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: December 25, 2015, 02:15:16 PM »
You don't understand what the word innate means. It means inborn, natural, inextricably tied with the nature of the thing itself, part of the DNA. Such things do not change. Society can't develop innate feelings. They are either innate or need to be developed.

Why should I care what feelings society developed? Society is flawed. What if society developed a feeling that killing is pleasurable and moral. Should I need to change my views to accept those of society? Society is not the be all and end all- only G-d is.

I think you're focusing on only one meaning.  I'm not saying murder has always been immoral.  I'm saying that modern society - through thousands of years of growth - has developed an innate sense that murder is immoral. 

I personally don't care whether you change along with society.  That doesn't change the fact that morals - absent religion - are fluid and change over time along with current social mores. 

I haven't twisted myself at. Murder is by it's own nature neither moral or immoral. In those cases that G-d decreed it immoral it is  immoral and in those situations that G-d demands it, it is moral.

Wow.  Ok.

But you haven't answered my question:

I'm honestly not sure.  That's my answer. 

Let me ask you one:  If your Rov points out a guy on the street and tells you he's a descendant of Amalek and you have a chiyuv to kill him.  Here's a gun.  Would you?

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: December 25, 2015, 02:17:29 PM »
I believe so.

And how did that person get a billion of people to believe a fact that never happened?
By the point of a sword

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #9327 on: December 25, 2015, 02:18:11 PM »

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: December 25, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »
How did hitler get people to believe that jews are the biggest problem. How did obama get people to believe he'd change America?
They both got people to believe in an idea, not a fact that never happened.

By the way, the Obama/Hitler comparison is not a very nice thing to do.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: December 25, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »
Ummm...the Koran was told to Mohammed by an angel...thats the story too. He's got 1.5 Billion followers too.
And do you believe that the character of Mohammad is made up as well?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #9330 on: December 25, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
Did Jesus exist? We dont know. Who the New Testament claims was Jesus is an amalgam of stories from Tanach and possibly the person described as Yeshu in the Gemara. The one from the Gemara cannot be the same one that they claim because, as stated here the dates dont match. And the New Testament was only compiled 150 years after Jesus, if he existed, lived.
That can be simply a mistake in the date and nothing more. Tosafos in Shabbos (don't have exact daf infront of me) discusses some of the timing of Yeshu and Ban Sateda. Note that the article linked above does not accept the gemarah's version either.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: December 25, 2015, 02:22:28 PM »
Another religion founded by the sword, not persuasion.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: December 25, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »
Not at all. There is ample evidence of his existence. He's 600+ years later than Jesus was said to have lived. Much closer to us. There exists a Koran in Turkey from when Mohammed was still alive or from right after his death. Much closer than the 150 years after Jesus.

Emperor Constantine and his mommy had a bit to do with the spread of Christianity in 327.   
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: What's The Problem With Birth Control?
« Reply #9333 on: December 25, 2015, 02:28:21 PM »

First of all, it says explicitly if they do not cause bleeding. And what about the rest of the paragraph that implies that R' Moshe moved away from his original position as stated in that first tshuva?

-1 look at the full context.

I stand by what I said, nothing you quoted implies differently to me.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: December 25, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »
That can be simply a mistake in the date and nothing more. Tosafos in Shabbos (don't have exact daf infront of me) discusses some of the timing of Yeshu and Ban Sateda. Note that the article linked above does not accept the gemarah's version either.
Mistake in dates like the 165 years missing in Judaism too? The Gemara was edited in the 500's Hundreds of years after JEsus supposedly lived. The Yeshu that existed was a talmid of R' Yeshua Ben Perachia if I'm not mistaken, who lived prior to the Churban.

Offline lechatchileh ariber

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: December 25, 2015, 02:31:28 PM »

Fine.  The thing itself was not always innate, but it's currently innate to society at large. 

How does that work?  The immorality is lifted temporarily?  Was it never immoral?
Is murder of an individual immoral?
I don't sin, I give myself opportunities to repent.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: December 25, 2015, 02:31:31 PM »
Bottom line is Jesus was killed, by the Romans, for seditious acts. Not for blasphemy.

And in the Torah, the mekalel was chayiv misah along with the mekoshesh. The only difference is that by the mekoshesh they didnt know what kind of death penalty he was to get. Or did i mix that one up?

Offline luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: December 25, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »

First of all, it says explicitly if they do not cause bleeding. And what about the rest of the paragraph that implies that R' Moshe moved away from his original position as stated in that first tshuva?

1) We were talking about this mitzva i.e. לערב אל תנח and not about the issue of bleeding.

2) Reb Moshe moved away because of the issue of bleeding and not because of the the relevance of financial issues.

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: December 25, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »
Is murder of an individual immoral?

I believe it is.

Offline luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: December 25, 2015, 02:37:36 PM »
What's exactly all your issues with bleeding? Why not just take pills, make bedikos, and find out if your affected by it or not?