Author Topic: AJ's TR  (Read 4149 times)

Offline aj26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
AJ's TR
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:21:24 AM »
I've started my big trip and so I'll try to post some trip notes bit in parts along with some tips I can share. Thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far
I started planning this trip about 10 months ago and wanted to do Israel/Europe with wife and baby. One of the important things for us was to do as many direct flights as possible because flying with a baby 1 1/2 year old is tough and the last thing we wanted was a complex itenerary that would require us running through airports add bizarre hours in the morning and night.
Originally, I wanted to use Aeroplan miles and make use of their 2 stop overs/$100 charge for infants. However, Italy/England/France were on places we wanted to see and star alliance didn't have any flights were direct between those cities; You have to stopover somewhere in Germany. It wasn't worth going one way on Aeroplan with the increased award fee either, because at that points, I might as well just use United.
We found a direct flight from EWR-TLV in economy. I was already paying $125 for the privelage of letting my child sit in my lap and wasn't about to shell out another $200/40K for business. In the end, it ended up being amazing. Several months before the flight, I did HUCA enough times until I found someone who would give me bulkhead. We were in row 31 which is middle bulkhead with tons of legroom. I could strech my feet out straight. The most amazing part though was that the lady in the United Lounge moved me and my wife to the aisles and there was an open middle seat between us. Our kid got her own seat the entire flight. For anyone going to Israel from EWR, I would definetly recommend the extra $200/40K to get 3 seats in economyplus if  row 31 is available instead of 2 seats in busniess.
We used 2 passes from Chase united card (got the passes right before annual fee was due and then cancelled before fee) to get into United lounge in EWR. The place is amazing. We basically had the family room to ourselves. As the day wore on, it became more and more full and it gets to a points where it's nothing special because there is just no where to sit.

When we landed, we just wanted to sleep so I had booked one night at Leonardo Plaza. Our flight landed a little late (weather in EWR) and we took a sheirut to the hotel (62NIS per person). We got there around 12:00. I  called the hotel 3 times to confirm they would have a room ready for as at 12:00 and everytime they said no problem. When we got there, the room wasn't ready till 3:30, about 30 minutes past check in. Also, check in adn check out at the hotel took forever as there was always a line at the front desk and only one person waiting there. The hotel is nice and good location but definetly understaffed. (We passed by the Waldorf and it looks nice, but no way will it be ready by November. It's totally gutted on the inside.)
We stayed with family in Jerusalem for the week and then went up to Tzfas. In Tzfas, we stayed at www.nofharashbi.com. The place is huge, nicely decorated, has a great view and the owner is really nice and accomidating. Definitely make sure you get a room with a porch that has a veiw. We stayed in Room 1, generally he asks for $150 a night in the summer but everything is negotiable. Even at $150, its worth it!

We rented a card to drive up here. Did it with Noachcarrental and was pretty smooth. Just keep in mind, a Mazda3 is about the size of a Honda Civic (we ordered a Mazda3 and got a Peugot). A Mazda6 is about the size of an Accord. Also, the car we got had no power locks and you can only unlock/lock doors by turning the key.

Resturants-
Our favorite was Agas V'Tapuach. It's next to the light rail stop- city hall. Great food, service, everyone was really nice.
Not so impressed with any of the pizza places here.
Went to Rimon in Mamilla. It was nice, the typical Rimon experience.
In Tfzas, the icecream here all comes from same place, it's not very good. Two places we liked were Art Cafe and Baghdad Cafe. Everyone here has basically the same menu- pasta/salad/omlets. Both these places were good

Activities- In Jerusalem, we did a tour of the southern wall with ylandy.weebly.com. I had taken a tour with him while in Yeshiva in Israel. He's amazing, knows a ton about archeology. He also is a huge talmid chacham and can really tie everything together. I really recommend him for anyone looking for a tour guide here.
Did light show at Tower of David- was very cool.
Jerusalem Elevator- not worth it unless you ran out of things to do

That's all I have for now. I'll keep updates posted for Europe.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: AJ's TR
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »
I've started my big trip and so I'll try to post some trip notes bit in parts along with some tips I can share. Thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far
I started planning this trip about 10 months ago and wanted to do Israel/Europe with wife and baby. One of the important things for us was to do as many direct flights as possible because flying with a baby 1 1/2 year old is tough and the last thing we wanted was a complex itenerary that would require us running through airports add bizarre hours in the morning and night.
Originally, I wanted to use Aeroplan miles and make use of their 2 stop overs/$100 charge for infants. However, Italy/England/France were on places we wanted to see and star alliance didn't have any flights were direct between those cities; You have to stopover somewhere in Germany. It wasn't worth going one way on Aeroplan with the increased award fee either, because at that points, I might as well just use United.
We found a direct flight from EWR-TLV in economy. I was already paying $125 for the privelage of letting my child sit in my lap and wasn't about to shell out another $200/40K for business. In the end, it ended up being amazing. Several months before the flight, I did HUCA enough times until I found someone who would give me bulkhead. We were in row 31 which is middle bulkhead with tons of legroom. I could strech my feet out straight. The most amazing part though was that the lady in the United Lounge moved me and my wife to the aisles and there was an open middle seat between us. Our kid got her own seat the entire flight. For anyone going to Israel from EWR, I would definetly recommend the extra $200/40K to get 3 seats in economyplus if  row 31 is available instead of 2 seats in busniess.
We used 2 passes from Chase united card (got the passes right before annual fee was due and then cancelled before fee) to get into United lounge in EWR. The place is amazing. We basically had the family room to ourselves. As the day wore on, it became more and more full and it gets to a points where it's nothing special because there is just no where to sit.

When we landed, we just wanted to sleep so I had booked one night at Leonardo Plaza. Our flight landed a little late (weather in EWR) and we took a sheirut to the hotel (62NIS per person). We got there around 12:00. I  called the hotel 3 times to confirm they would have a room ready for as at 12:00 and everytime they said no problem. When we got there, the room wasn't ready till 3:30, about 30 minutes past check in. Also, check in adn check out at the hotel took forever as there was always a line at the front desk and only one person waiting there. The hotel is nice and good location but definetly understaffed. (We passed by the Waldorf and it looks nice, but no way will it be ready by November. It's totally gutted on the inside.)
We stayed with family in Jerusalem for the week and then went up to Tzfas. In Tzfas, we stayed at www.nofharashbi.com. The place is huge, nicely decorated, has a great view and the owner is really nice and accomidating. Definitely make sure you get a room with a porch that has a veiw. We stayed in Room 1, generally he asks for $150 a night in the summer but everything is negotiable. Even at $150, its worth it!

We rented a card to drive up here. Did it with Noachcarrental and was pretty smooth. Just keep in mind, a Mazda3 is about the size of a Honda Civic (we ordered a Mazda3 and got a Peugot). A Mazda6 is about the size of an Accord. Also, the car we got had no power locks and you can only unlock/lock doors by turning the key.

Resturants-
Our favorite was Agas V'Tapuach. It's next to the light rail stop- city hall. Great food, service, everyone was really nice.
Not so impressed with any of the pizza places here.
Went to Rimon in Mamilla. It was nice, the typical Rimon experience.
In Tfzas, the icecream here all comes from same place, it's not very good. Two places we liked were Art Cafe and Baghdad Cafe. Everyone here has basically the same menu- pasta/salad/omlets. Both these places were good

Activities- In Jerusalem, we did a tour of the southern wall with ylandy.weebly.com. I had taken a tour with him while in Yeshiva in Israel. He's amazing, knows a ton about archeology. He also is a huge talmid chacham and can really tie everything together. I really recommend him for anyone looking for a tour guide here.
Did light show at Tower of David- was very cool.
Jerusalem Elevator- not worth it unless you ran out of things to do

That's all I have for now. I'll keep updates posted for Europe.

Sounds like you're having a great time- great start- we can't wait to hear more! :)
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline kivabb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AJ's TR
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
Nice. How did you communicate with ylandy.weebly.com? Is that nzion@dafyomi.co.il?

Offline aj26

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:40:23 PM »
yes, or call

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
Very nice, pls continue, its refreshing to hear someone flying in coach.
Waiting for more.

Offline WhyAich

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
AJ's TR
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »
, its refreshing to hear someone flying in coach.

Lol. Be nice
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 06:14:28 PM »
Lol. Be nice

I am nice

Good point, as a bochur you dont need a biz or 1st class !

Plus, believe me those experiences you remember better then some lounge...