Author Topic: Uh oh - Visa or MC...?  (Read 740 times)

Offline broketeacher

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Uh oh - Visa or MC...?
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:02:55 PM »
Here's my somewhat confusing situation.

I had a Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA which I decided to switch over into a MC because I'm going to Israel.  Also, none of my other cards that I use are MC, and I thought it would be wise to have a MC in my wallet. 

So last week, I called and had them switch it from a Visa to MC.  This week, my new Ink Plus arrived and it's a MC.  (I had assumed it would be a Visa because all my Chase cards have been Visas thus far.) 

Now I have 2 cards with no foreign exchange fees that are both MC.  And I've been told that Visas are more universally accepted.  So I called Chase back and asked them if it was possible to switch back to my original Visa.

Today a rep called and said that he could switch me back, but I'd lose my original number - it would be another switch from MC to Visa instead of just going back to my old Visa.

I still think it makes sense to switch it back to a Visa....but my questions are-

Does it really matter if I don't have a Visa for overseas (just a MC)? 
If I do have them switch it back over to Visa, I'm worried that it'll look sketchy...
And does anyone know if it'll cause a problem if I try to get a Sapphire MC signup bonus in the future?  (I technically would have had a Sapphire MC already - even if only for a week.)

I hope this wasn't too confusing.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Uh oh - Visa or MC...?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »
Your SP Visa card should still work until it expires. Virtually everywhere internationally that accepts Visa will accept MC.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)